E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Ctek XS7000 charger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ctek XS7000 charger

Hi Guys,

I just bought this charger and have been told that I should not connect the (-) directly on to the battery.

the car is a 2003 s211

how do you guys connect the charger? pictures are welcome
Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by mike82y
Hi Guys,

I just bought this charger and have been told that I should not connect the (-) directly on to the battery.

the car is a 2003 s211

how do you guys connect the charger? pictures are welcome
Congratulations on buying a quality charger -- Ctek makes chargers for Porsche and probably other OEMs.

It is true that the (-) line should not be connected directly to the battery. Find a place on the chassis which is far away from things like fuel lines, brake fluid lines, etc or anyplace else that could catch fire if a spark appeared -- this includes the battery itself! This is because when hooking up the charger, the last connection you make usually will cause a spark.

When you've chosen a spot on the chassis (like a bolt head or something similar) make sure it is clean so you can have a good current flow from the charger.

Regards,
paul...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, I have a Porsche branded Ctek. It's spark proof and reverse polarity protected so you don't have to worry about anything. Ctek sells "comfort connects" (yours may have come with one) that allows you to permanently attach the plug to the + and - of the car battery. Then all you do is plug in the charger directly when needed. It makes it simple.

When I store my Porsche, I just plug into the comfort connect. Before that I just attached to the charger directly to the - and + posts. Again, with Ctek it's totally dummy proof. If you look at their demo video they show how spark proof it is.

Their website is detailed and will answer any of your questions: http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Default.aspx
Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Originally Posted by paulv
Congratulations on buying a quality charger -- Ctek makes chargers for Porsche and probably other OEMs.

It is true that the (-) line should not be connected directly to the battery. Find a place on the chassis which is far away from things like fuel lines, brake fluid lines, etc or anyplace else that could catch fire if a spark appeared -- this includes the battery itself! This is because when hooking up the charger, the last connection you make usually will cause a spark.

When you've chosen a spot on the chassis (like a bolt head or something similar) make sure it is clean so you can have a good current flow from the charger.

Regards,
paul...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by 220S
fwiw, I have a Porsche branded Ctek. ............
And I'm sure you paid big bucks for it. I saw it at the dealer when I picked up my Boxster and it was $145 -- it did go on sale later for $125. The unbranded, same charger Ctek is ~ $75. I bought a Battery Tender Jr for $40!!!

Regards,
paul...
Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by paulv
And I'm sure you paid big bucks for it. I saw it at the dealer when I picked up my Boxster and it was $145 -- it did go on sale later for $125. The unbranded, same charger Ctek is ~ $75. I bought a Battery Tender Jr for $40!!!

Regards,
paul...
$50 used from someone who never used it (still in the box.)

The last Battery Tender I bought lasted 1 and 1/2 years. I ended up tossing it.