E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Minor Body Damage -- Need Your Tips and Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Minor Body Damage -- Need Your Tips and Advice

Someone hit my other car at a low speed in the rear while I was at a red light yesterday. Even though it looked like just a small scratch, I got the driver's insurance information. That was a good move, because this morning, in better light, I noticed that the bumper was also indented a bit from the license plate bracket of the car that hit me. So, my rear bumper definitely has to be repainted to make it perfect again.

We both have the same insurance company (who's been my insurer for 26 years with no accidents), so I don't think they're going to give me a hard time. I found a good body shop and I'm hoping to just take it there on a Saturday, have them fix it while I rent a car for the week and pick up my car the next Saturday. I'll let the insurance co. know where the car will be before I drop it off.

Any tips, or advice to minimize my inconvenience and haggling with the insurance company would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Regardless of how fast he/she were going there is likely damage underneath and the energy absorbing function will have to be restored. The only proper way to check is to pull the bumper cover.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2906.shtml

Last edited by 06e320cdi; 05-20-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: add link
Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
Regardless of how fast he/she were going there is likely damage underneath and the energy absorbing function will have to be restored. The only proper way to check is to pull the bumper cover.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2906.shtml
Yes, I saw that on Motorweek when it was aired. My first thoughts were that even if there is no visible damage, there may be damage underneath that needs to be checked out, so I made sure I got the other driver's information.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Someone hit my other car at a low speed in the rear while I was at a red light yesterday. Even though it looked like just a small scratch, I got the driver's insurance information. That was a good move, because this morning, in better light, I noticed that the bumper was also indented a bit from the license plate bracket of the car that hit me. So, my rear bumper definitely has to be repainted to make it perfect again.

We both have the same insurance company (who's been my insurer for 26 years with no accidents), so I don't think they're going to give me a hard time. I found a good body shop and I'm hoping to just take it there on a Saturday, have them fix it while I rent a car for the week and pick up my car the next Saturday. I'll let the insurance co. know where the car will be before I drop it off.

Any tips, or advice to minimize my inconvenience and haggling with the insurance company would be appreciated.
The level of hassle/negotiating (begging) depends what your deductible is. A hundred dollar deductible can be eaten with no problem by the body shop. $200 deductible cash is going to be involved, and a higher deductible you will have to make up. But hey, in choosing the higher deductible, you made a decision to be a co-insurer/co payer. You're probably way ahead whith your high deductible choice over the years, tho. Me, with my $100 deductible? I'm behind.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
The guy was rear ended, so no deductible, insurance of faulty side will pay not only repair, but rent of car while yours in shop. You should get equal rent car, it was GS350 in my case, because rent company didn't have Merc.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:06 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Yes, Dema is right. My deductible doesn't come into play since it the other (inattentive) driver's fault, and I got her license/insurance info.

I don't know what they normally pay for a rental while your car is being fixed, but I do have optional rental coverage of up to $50/day. I think the issue becomes whether they'll pay for 7 days of rental because they're going to claim the repair should only take 3 days (like anyone has ever had good body work done in 3 days).
Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Yes, Dema is right. My deductible doesn't come into play since it the other (inattentive) driver's fault, and I got her license/insurance info.

I don't know what they normally pay for a rental while your car is being fixed, but I do have optional rental coverage of up to $50/day. I think the issue becomes whether they'll pay for 7 days of rental because they're going to claim the repair should only take 3 days (like anyone has ever had good body work done in 3 days).
You will most likely pay the deductible up front. Yor insurance company will eventually recover it from 'at fault insured's' insurance company and reimburse you. This can take a few weeks to a couple of months.