E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bi-Xenon Headlight adj ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Sport
Bi-Xenon Headlight adj ???

I have a 2003 E500 Sport with Bi-Xenon headlight. My lights need adjustment. I see the adjustment areas and see a dual adjustment i.e, an outer ring and an inter screw head. Both go clockwise and counter-clockwise. I assume the outer ring is for left and right adj and the inter screw head is for up and down adj.???

My two questions are: 1) are my assumptions correct? and 2) what do the counter and clockwise direction adj, e.g., does counter clockwise on the outer ring adj left or right and does counter clockwise on the screw adj up or down? Thanks in advance. Mark
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 PM

'03 E320
Vertical Adjustment

I can verify that the inner adjustment (philips screwhead ) provides vertical adjustment. I watched my service manager make adjustments to my bi-xenons. I takes multiple turns to make significant verical movement, and easy to see movement if you have something within 20-50' of the front to shine the lights.
I haven't played with the outer (slot head) adjustment, so can not comment.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:26 AM

W211
Where are these adjustment screws located?
Old 04-03-2003, 04:34 AM

'03 E320
Originally posted by MPTLPTR
Where are these adjustment screws located?
They are located through a hole in the horizontal sheetmetal piece that spans the front of the engine compartment. This hole is behind the headlights.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:15 AM

E500 Sport
After some "trial and error" I now know the center screw head controls up and down headlight movement, i.e., counter clockwise raised the Bi-Xenon Up and clockwise lowers the beam down. Moving the outter ring counter clockwise or clockwinse appears to have the same effect as the screw head.... very hard to discribe. Maybe is changing an aperture or beam focus of some sort?? I really don't know. What I can't find is a left/right adjustment or a Hi-Beam adjustment. Help!. I also replaced my H7 Hi-Beam "factory OEM" bulb with a PIAA XtremeWhite/XTRA H7 (H-218). My Hi-Beams now look like the Bi-Xenon beam. I also ordered the PIAA part number 19172 168 wedge bulb. It's a replacement for the park/stand light that's in with the Hi-Beam light socket and it's also an XtremeWhite which should better match the "blue tint" of the Xenon vs. the dull yellow the factory OEM bulb emits. Mark
Old 04-04-2003, 01:08 PM

MK

That's cool. I replaced my high beams with the same PIAA bulb you did; however, I used PIAA bulb #19169 for my parking lights. For my fogs I used H11 bulbs from d2technik.com since I'm not sure whether or not PIAA makes H11 bulbs. Like you, I didn't like the yellow color. Everything matches great!
Old 04-04-2003, 01:22 PM

E500 Sport
Yes, the PIAA part number that you got, 19169 is their Platinum Super White. I sent an email off to PIAA and asked them which would best match the Xenon.... their reply was the 19172. Mark
Old 04-04-2003, 01:28 PM

Thumbs up

Cool. I'm sure they will look great--just remember to also change the fogs especially when you place your beams on "auto" since they light up after you lock your car.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Re: MK

Originally posted by Joseesq
That's cool. I replaced my high beams with the same PIAA bulb you did; however, I used PIAA bulb #19169 for my parking lights. For my fogs I used H11 bulbs from d2technik.com since I'm not sure whether or not PIAA makes H11 bulbs. Like you, I didn't like the yellow color. Everything matches great!
Just for clarification...you guys did not order the bi-xenon from the factory and are upgrading the non-xenon lights. Is this right?

If you had the bi-xenon from the factory..you would still change the parking and fog lights to match. In other words, the fog and parking are the same in all E's, bi-xenon or not?

I am confused..maybe someone can explain it simply.

Ed
Old 04-04-2003, 01:42 PM

etenn

My bi-xenon lights came with the car (E3 package). I only replaced the yellow halogen bulbs on the parking lights, high beams and parking lights to match the blue tint on the bi-xenon lights. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I guess my confusion comes with the "bi-xenon" description. I had thought that they were xenon on both High and Low beams, thus the "bi". If that is not the case, what is the difference between bi-xenon and just xenon lights?
Old 04-04-2003, 02:21 PM

Ed

Here is a link to a thread regarding your question. Hope this helps: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1
Old 04-04-2003, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: Ed

Here is a link to a thread regarding your question. Hope this helps: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1
Thanks for the link. I reread the whole thread. I still do not know the answer. There are several posts that say the opposite of each other and I could not decide who was correct.

1. Bi-xenon equals both high and low beams xenon.
or
2. Only low beam is xenon and high is halogen

Which is correct. If number 2 is correct why are they called bi-xenon?

Hate to be stupid here but I can't seem to see this clearly.

Ed
Old 04-04-2003, 03:23 PM

E500 Sport
Bi-Xenon means they come on for BOTH low and Hi beam. You still have a seperate set of High Beams. Most Low Beams (whether Xenon or not) go off when you switch on the Hi Beams. Does this answer your questions?
Old 04-04-2003, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: MK

Thanks mkassab...I think I finally got it.

However...more questions...

1. I looked at both PIAA site and d2technik.com and did not find a place to order the parking and fog bulbs. Where do you order these and what is the price?

2. What is the difficulty level of installing the bulbs for the parking and fog lights. I don't think I would put the high beam in at this time.

Ed
Old 04-04-2003, 05:08 PM

2013 S550
When someone responds to Ed's request about the difficulty in installing, could you be really specific on the fog lights? I must have caught a rock or something as the lens in my left fog light is broken. The light still works. MB want $150 to replace just the lens. I'm thinking that sounds a little pricey, and if it's not too difficult I'll do it myself. I'm not very mechanically inclined, though.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:14 PM

E500 Sport
I bought the H7 and Fog lights from Bavarian autosport (a BMW site) for $79.95/pair for the H7 and the 9006. The H& part number is H-218 and the 9006 is 19616. Both are XrremeWhite Plus. Their web page is www.bavauto.com . I bought the Park/Standing bulbs from www.wtremewhite.com. I got the PIAA part number 19172, it's a 168 wedge bulb and it's also an Xtremewhite. Their part number is 3752 and cost $14.95/pair. All three are very easy to replace. Remember, wipe the bulbs with rubbing alcohol and a lint free towel.... Do Not touch the bulbs with your fingers!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:20 PM

E500 Sport
Originally posted by ctouhey
When someone responds to Ed's request about the difficulty in installing, could you be really specific on the fog lights? I must have caught a rock or something as the lens in my left fog light is broken. The light still works. MB want $150 to replace just the lens. I'm thinking that sounds a little pricey, and if it's not too difficult I'll do it myself. I'm not very mechanically inclined, though.
ctouhey
The bulb is easy to replace on the fog.... it's through an opening under the car... there's an access "door" for it. I have no idea how hard the lens would be, but I would think it's too hard. One way in the future to protect all the lens (i.e., headlights hi & low, fog and turnsignals on the door mirrors is to use a 3M protector product sold by Stongard www.stongard.com . VERY easy to apply. I got my kit for $59.95. Mark
Old 04-04-2003, 05:23 PM

E500 Sport
Thumbs up

Also check out this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=34878

It on all Stongard clear bra items Mark
Old 04-05-2003, 01:01 AM

Ed

The other place where I got my PIAA bulbs is www.islandmotorsports.com
Old 04-05-2003, 09:21 AM

2003 Toyota Prado
Originally posted by mkassab
Bi-Xenon means they come on for BOTH low and Hi beam. You still have a seperate set of High Beams. Most Low Beams (whether Xenon or not) go off when you switch on the Hi Beams. Does this answer your questions?
I actually thought bixenons meant that you get xenon low and high beams , if what you are saying is true, in terms of why they are referred to as bixenons, then mb have hit us with some marketing crap, our w210s xenons would stay on with the high beams, so will my maxima's and our LS430, i cant remember ever seeing a car where the xenons go off when you hit the high beams, plus arent you supposed to like keep xenons on most of the time to prolong their life span, according to my maxima mannual switching them on/off frequently will shorten their life span, so why would auto makers make xenons that shut off when your high beams go on? im just saying ive never seen a car that works like that, any input you guys?

I read the thread about the bixenons and this seams like a more reasonable explanation, only prob i cant clarify it yet , our w211 is 20 days away (slight delay due to the war and all) so can anybody clarify if this is true

Originally posted by ///MB
No, thuged_out is right... it's either bi-xenons or standard halogens.
Bi-xenons does not mean you get xenons in both the low outside headlights AND the inner headlights. If you push the turn signal stalk back, it changes the angle of the reflectors to shine farther down the road. If you pull towards you, you can flash the normal halogen headlights.
Basically, the bi-xenons are the evolution of xenons. It is not bi-xenons or nothing.
By the way mkassab, i was looking at the stonegaurd website, when i pick out the kit wthich as you said is for 59.95, i also get a whole list of individualised items for each light, which is a bit confusing, what exactly does the kit include?

Last edited by Mellow; 04-05-2003 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:41 AM

S550, GL450
Let me clarify! I have bi-xenon w211

Hi,

The xenon stays on while you flash the high beam!!! When you use the high beam, either push the stalk back, or pull it towards you, the low beam xenon housing has a reflector shutter inside will open up and allow the xenon light shine thru at a high beam angle. At the same time, in the high beam housing the halogen H7 bulb will also turn on. Therefore, actually you have both xenon and halogen turn on during high beaming. My car is North America version. Hope this clarify.

PS: My w211 high beam is much brighter than my E38 7series's regular xenon's high beam!

dlau
E500
Old 04-05-2003, 09:44 AM

2003 Toyota Prado
Re: Let me clarify! I have bi-xenon w211

Originally posted by Dlau
Hi,

The xenon stays on while you flash the high beam!!! When you use the high beam, either push the stalk back, or pull it towards you, the low beam xenon housing has a reflector shutter inside will open up and allow the xenon light shine thru at a high beam angle. At the same time, in the high beam housing the halogen H7 bulb will also turn on. Therefore, actually you have both xenon and halogen turn on during high beaming. My car is North America version. Hope this clarify.

PS: My w211 high beam is much brighter than my E38 7series's regular xenon's high beam!

dlau
E500
Thanks for clarifying dude, that is such a cool feature, never knew about it before, now im even happier we opted for bi-xenons
Old 04-05-2003, 10:00 AM

E500 Sport
Mellow -
The Stongard Light Kit for the MB E320 or E500 includes 4 pairs of 3M guards, i.e, 1) the outside low beam/turn signal, 2) the inside hi beam/park/standing light, 3) the fog lights, and 4) the turn signal lens ont he outside door mirrors. Hope this helps. Mark
Old 04-05-2003, 11:33 AM

2003 Toyota Prado
Originally posted by mkassab
Mellow -
The Stongard Light Kit for the MB E320 or E500 includes 4 pairs of 3M guards, i.e, 1) the outside low beam/turn signal, 2) the inside hi beam/park/standing light, 3) the fog lights, and 4) the turn signal lens ont he outside door mirrors. Hope this helps. Mark
Guess ill be ordering those then, thanks Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon Headlight adj ???