E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

arnott air struts

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
arnott air struts

After viewing these youtube videos on how the air struts were rebuilt by Arnott Industries, I don't think I'll buy them for my E500. It's better buy new from the dealers for $900 ea. Also the techs in the video pointed out that if the strut is designed to last 125k mi, rebuilding the air bag does not make the old strut any better (assuming Arnott does not rebuild the strut and simply replaces the air bag) and we still end up with the same old strut from the original car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlw6O...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDD9...eature=related
Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
couple of more too i noticed after watching these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHYiX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgttH...eature=related

good find.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
Thanks for the links. This is good to know. The question I have is whether the W211 utilizes the same design as the Range Rovers in the videos? Does the W211 utilize the same clip that the techs are concerned about?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
The design looks similar to the W211. Not sure about the clip thought. However, the moving mechanical parts inside the strut do wear out with mileage. If the rebuilt unit does not have those mechanical parts replaced, it won't be a reliable unit.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
Originally Posted by SZMB
The design looks similar to the W211. Not sure about the clip thought. However, the moving mechanical parts inside the strut do wear out with mileage. If the rebuilt unit does not have those mechanical parts replaced, it won't be a reliable unit.
Very true. I wonder if Arnott offers the choice to supply your own struts. In that way, owners with relatively new struts (but failed bags) can send in their current struts. Those of us with high mileage struts can buy new OEM struts and have Arnott build a new bag (not sure how cost-effective this is)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The criticism sounds a bit exaggerated but I would like to see their E-class struts. How come the Rover strut did not have flexible rubber bellows for protection, is it the same with their OEM parts.

Here an example of an Airmatic front strut failure. The issue is not the air spring but the adjustable shocks valve unit. The photo may be confusing but the valve unit has detached from the side of the strut completely. I wonder how this valve part is refurbished, if it is at all.
Attached Thumbnails arnott air struts-broken-airmatic-shock.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
This is very interesting and I would love to hear a follow up

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
They offer a lifetime warranty...who cares?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by GT-ER
They offer a lifetime warranty...who cares?
Lifetime warranty does little to help you though if you have to pay hundreds in labor (again) and be without a car until the parts arrive. We really need to have a better solution to this shock issue. Sooner or later these cars are going to be worth $15K or less and I don't know how any owner can justify paying $4K for replacing shocks. I understand the whole pay to play concept but that is over a single year of depreciation. I feel either MB needs to bring the cost of this part down or someone needs to come up with a more reliable well-made part. After hearing about bad experience, I'd be very weary about getting Arnott shocks.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Lifetime warranty does little to help you though if you have to pay hundreds in labor (again) and be without a car until the parts arrive. We really need to have a better solution to this shock issue. Sooner or later these cars are going to be worth $15K or less and I don't know how any owner can justify paying $4K for replacing shocks. I understand the whole pay to play concept but that is over a single year of depreciation. I feel either MB needs to bring the cost of this part down or someone needs to come up with a more reliable well-made part. After hearing about bad experience, I'd be very weary about getting Arnott shocks.
It's true what you say about the labor, I didn't think about that since I do my own labor so taking it apart 10 times really don't cost me anything.

You can always go with coilovers. There is a topic on the E55 forum that shows someone who already did it on an E500 ( or 550, can't remember ).
Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
It's true what you say about the labor, I didn't think about that since I do my own labor so taking it apart 10 times really don't cost me anything.

You can always go with coilovers. There is a topic on the E55 forum that shows someone who already did it on an E500 ( or 550, can't remember ).
I think still most people would want to retain the original features of the car. Here's something to think about...

Let's assume the car is worth $15K and is about 7 years old with about 85K miles. If your shocks go out out-of-warranty, for one year of ownership, the car it is going to cost:

$4K for the shocks and about $5K of depreciation for a year. So basically the poor sap who was in possession of a 7 year old car worth $15K just paid at least $9-10K for a year in depreciation and repairs assuming nothing else went wrong. That $10K could have just about paid the annual lease of a BRAND new car in perfect condition.

Now I understand why these cars have such bad resale values. Unless the maintenance and repair expenses become more reasonable we are going to have absolutely horrible residual values for these cars and that is bad for Mercedes and for their owners no matter whether they lease or buy.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I think still most people would want to retain the original features of the car. Here's something to think about...

Let's assume the car is worth $15K and is about 7 years old with about 85K miles. If your shocks go out out-of-warranty, for one year of ownership, the car it is going to cost:

$4K for the shocks and about $5K of depreciation for a year. So basically the poor sap who was in possession of a 7 year old car worth $15K just paid at least $9-10K for a year in depreciation and repairs assuming nothing else went wrong. That $10K could have just about paid the annual lease of a BRAND new car in perfect condition.

Now I understand why these cars have such bad resale values. Unless the maintenance and repair expenses become more reasonable we are going to have absolutely horrible residual values for these cars and that is bad for Mercedes and for their owners no matter whether they lease or buy.
But you are assuming he'd have all four corners fail every year. I agree that the price is absurd for the airmatic components, but I doubt you'd get more than a single shock failure per year, even if that.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
I had my two front struts replaced about 2 years ago. Only one went bad, but I read somewhere that after 50k miles it is recommended to replace the pair ( I guess because of alignment issues and the like). This was also recommended by the indy shop I used. The labor and time savings was worth it for me at the time.

The airmatic system is something that definitely affects our resale value big time. I've had informal conversations with people about reselling my E500, and the air shocks is something that people bring up.

Last edited by locomercedes; 02-03-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by locomercedes
I had my two front struts replaced about 2 years ago. Only one went bad, but I read somewhere that after 50k miles it is recommended to replace the pair ( I guess because of alignment issues and the like). This was also recommended by the indy shop I used. The labor and time savings was worth it for me at the time...
Its really amusing that the very same shop that will reccomend that you replace struts in pairs will have the opinion that only one has to be replaced if they'd have to pay to replace the pair if they had to make good on a warranty claim for 1 failed strut on a job they did.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 02-04-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Its really amusing that the very same shop that will reccomend that you replace struts in pairs will have the opinion that only one has to be replaced when they have to pay to replace the pair if they're making good on a warranty claim for 1 strut on a job they did.
Good point! I remember someone saying that MB "recommends" they be replaced in pairs. So the question is if you have 75K miles and you have an extended warranty would MB pay to have both shocks replaced if one fails?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Good point! I remember someone saying that MB "recommends" they be replaced in pairs. So the question is if you have 75K miles and you have an extended warranty would MB pay to have both shocks replaced if one fails?
Don't hold your breath!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Hmmm. So your own time is worth nothing? You prefer to fix a failing lifetime warranty part 10x over for "free" rather than earning money or going on a nice vacation or just relaxing with some good friends?

Come over to my house and do the dishes, clean the rooms, landscape the yard, and fix my car. I'll be working and earning more money than I'd pay you. Or maybe just sitting by the pool drinking a Mojito and rejuvenating myself.

Time is money.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
Hmmm. So your own time is worth nothing? You prefer to fix a failing lifetime warranty part 10x over for "free" rather than earning money or going on a nice vacation or just relaxing with some good friends?

Come over to my house and do the dishes, clean the rooms, landscape the yard, and fix my car. I'll be working and earning more money than I'd pay you. Or maybe just sitting by the pool drinking a Mojito and rejuvenating myself.

Time is money.

I'd agree if we were talking about doing the dishes, cleaning the rooms, and landscaping the yard...but I actually LIKE working on my car. I do it for fun.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I'd agree if we were talking about doing the dishes, cleaning the rooms, and landscaping the yard...but I actually LIKE working on my car. I do it for fun.
I totally understand that. I work on my Porsche for fun (the Benz is under warranty so I let the dealer do it.)

BUT: replacing the same "lifetime warranty" part again and again because it fails is NOT fun. That's just wasting time. And that's the whole point here. Sure Arnotts are "lifetime warrantied" but you have to spend the time to send them back and then wait for a new one and then replace them once again. So obviously people are going to be concerned about their quality even if they are under warranty.

So the point that others raise is valid. There is time/labor/cost involved in anything with a warranty. Even with a new car under warranty. Your personal time (cost) is spent having to get the dealer to fix it. Or your new TV set under warranty. It still absorbs time and effort (cost) to get it repaired for "free" under warranty.

Get it?