E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E350 4Matic "Lurching" Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic
2007 E350 4Matic "Lurching" Problem

A little over a year ago I purchased a CPO 2007 E350 4Matic. About 6-7 months ago, the car began, for lack of a better term, lurching forward as I decelerate. It occurs mainly when I decelerate immediately after acceleration (e.g., not decelerating from a constant speed). For example, it happens if I turn onto a road, accelerate, and then have to make a turn after a short distance. It also happens in traffic if I accelerate when traffic moves and decelerate as it stops. In some instances, the lurching can be pretty severe.

I have taken the car to the dealership twice for this issue. The first time, the dealer said that the car was due for a transmission service. I had them perform the service, but it did not help (it actually got worse). The second time, the dealer flushed and cleaned the transfer case and replaced the fluid. Although this helped and greatly reduced the severity of the lurching, it did not completely get rid of it. It has been about 3-4 weeks since that service and the lurching seems to be getting worse again (frequency and severity).

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Was the dealer able to fix it and, if so, what did they do?

I am going to make another appointment, but I am growing tired of taking the car in for the same issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:02 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
I've experienced this, it was happening for about a week and definitely felt like a transmission thing but then it went away as fast as it came on. Hasn't happend since and I never had it checked out.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by JECL2000
The second time, the dealer flushed and cleaned the transfer case and replaced the fluid. Although this helped and greatly reduced the severity of the lurching, it did not completely get rid of it. It has been about 3-4 weeks since that service and the lurching seems to be getting worse again (frequency and severity).
You state that the problem lessened when the TC fluid was changed however, it was not resolved totally and problem has since returned. I would begin by referencing bulletin P-B-28.50/11 that documents if fluid change fails, TC should be replaced. In addition, request they revisit transmission (i.e.: torque converter, software update, valve body).
Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
I had a similar problem. Many early 07 E550/350 4Matics have a bad transfer case that must be replaced. Ask your SA if your transfer case is on the recall list. Mine was (wheels skipped in a tight turn, lurching etc.) and it was replaced under warrnaty. Replacing the fluid will NOT correct the problem, it's a bad torque reduction gear. Unless you ask they won't tell you.

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 06-04-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM

E350
Lurching problem

I have the same problem. In my 2008 E350 4matic, once I release the gas pedal from a quick acceleration the car lurches to-and-fro. However, this only happens in the sport driving mode, not in the comfort driving mode.

Thank you "LOVEMYBS" for informing us about the transfer case problem.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 PM

E350 4Matic
Thank you all for your help. I made another appointment for the car to go in for service.

Per konigstiger’s suggestion, I referenced the service bulletin and asked about replacing the transfer case. They said that they may need to but would look at it when the car comes in.

LOVEMYBS – Thanks. I will definitely ask if the transfer case is on the recall list.

EKG1 – Funny that you mention that it happens only in the sport driving mode and not in the comfort mode. I keep my car in the sport mode. However, when I picked it after the last service, the car was in the comfort mode. At first I just assumed they were testing both modes. Now I have to wonder if they intentionally put it in comfort hoping the lurching would not happen and I would not notice that it was in comfort mode.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 AM

E350
Hmmm...suspicious

Hey JECL2000,

I keep the batmobile (my wife's nickname for the benz) in comfort mode (vs. sport) because of the better gas mileage. When I take it in, I will definitely have the stealership checkout the transfer case.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
i swear, these cars must be purposely designed with a sh*ty transmission/shifting system all around. i've never driven a car that was this frustrating to me (i've owned a 94 s420 and 05 chrysler 300 and periodically driven a 06 yukon xl denali, 02 cl500, 08 land rover lr2, and 02 chevy suburban). i mean it drives me
Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM

2007 E350 4MATIC
I just had my torque converter replaced for similar issues, but I've noticed that the symptom hasn't completely gone away. I did specifically ask about recalls on my vehicle and they checked and said that all recalls had already been performed on my 07 E350 4matic before I bought it used.

Then again, I lost all trust in that dealership for other reasons, so I may just check with another dealership that's just a little further away.

Right now my own local mechanic (closest dealer is 2 hrs away) is doing an oil change and I've asked him to run a glycol check on the trans fluid, which I asked the dealer to do as well but the dealer refused and just replaced the TC.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:09 PM

2008 E350 4MATIC, 2002 ML320
Had same issue, mine needed a software update and that took care of the problem...though NOT 100% rectified. There's still a residual lurching effect, but almost negligible.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
MY 07 and 08 guys, what mileage are you currently at and when did you start noticing these issues? How often do you manually shift, if ever?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 PM

E350 4Matic
Just heard from the dealership. They said that everything was in spec but they performed a software upgrade. I pick it up tonight – hopefully that will take care of the problem. However, I must say that I am not very optimistic.

If the software upgrade does not work, I have no idea what to do next. Anyone have any ideas – lemon laws don’t apply to pre-owned and I am getting the feeling that the dealer is just going through the motions when I bring the car in now. Anyone think trying a different dealership would help (one that did not sell me the car)?

AMGTestDriverNJ – I have about 48,000 miles on the car now. I manually shift occasionally, but not too often.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM

2007 E350 4matic
Mine is an 07 E350 4matics and have the same lurching issues. I have 18,000 miles and this issue has been present since I bought it new. I have an appointment for an A service next week so I'll bring up this issue as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 AM

E350 4Matic
Lurching Update and Additional Questions:

Well after numerous visits to the dealer, I still have the “lurching” issue over a year later.

During my last visit, the dealer, once again, was not able to reproduce the problem. When I picked up my car, it “lurched” as I was pulling out of the dealership. I immediately pulled back in and insisted that a technician go for another test drive with me. I was able to reproduce it for the technician (who miraculously was able to reproduce it every time after that).

Instead of taking the car home, the dealership kept the car to do some further investigation. They ended up doing some serious transmission work (they had the car for 10 days). I don’t have the slip with me or I would post-up the work performed.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that this fixed the problem – The car has lurched several times since picking up the car four days ago.

Has anyone else had any luck getting this problem fixed? Any other ideas?

I am getting really frustrated at this point. My warranty is up in September so I need to figure out what I am going to do with the car. I am afraid that when I go to trade it in, the car will lurch and I will get low-balled for the trade (at this point I am not sure I am going to get another Mercedes).

Also, it seems like this problem is not uncommon among the E350. Does anyone know if other models (E550, CLS, etc.) have similar problems?

Last edited by JECL2000; 04-11-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Lurching Update and Additional Questions:

Well after numerous visits to the dealer, I still have the “lurching” issue over a year later.

During my last visit, the dealer, once again, was not able to reproduce the problem. When I picked up my car, it “lurched” as I was pulling out of the dealership. I immediately pulled back in and insisted that a technician go for another test drive with me. I was able to reproduce it for the technician (who miraculously was able to reproduce it every time after that).

Instead of taking the car home, the dealership kept the car to do some further investigation. They ended up doing some serious transmission work (they had the car for 10 days). I don’t have the slip with me or I would post-up the work performed.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that this fixed the problem – The car has lurched several times since picking up the car four days ago.

Has anyone else had any luck getting this problem fixed? Any other ideas?

I am getting really frustrated at this point. My warranty is up in September so I need to figure out what I am going to do with the car. I am afraid that when I go to trade it in, the car will lurch and I will get low-balled for the trade (at this point I am not sure I am going to get another Mercedes).

Also, it seems like this problem is not uncommon among the E350. Does anyone know if other models (E550, CLS, etc.) have similar problems?
I've had the transfer case issue as per this thread on my E550. They changed the oil and that cured it for a while, now it seems to be coming back. Kind of a lurch I suppose, more like a shuddering at low speeds, with the wheel turned hard either direction.

I would go back to the dealer and give them a polite but firm 'conversation' about how they've had the car over 10 days, causing significant inconvenience to you, and have not yet reconciled the problem. I would not back off the dealer one bit. You don't want to be rude, but you want to be firm. You are the customer, the car is under warranty and these are expensive cars. They are there to serve YOU. Make sure they do so. If the dealer isn't providing you with adequate service, complain via written letter/e-mail to corporate MB USA/Canada. I've had success doing so in the past for various issues. They can investigate and escalate an issue if a particular dealer washes their hands of it.

My dealer has given me excellent service thus far, part of the reason I'm happy about my ownership experience overall despite the known issues. They have already stated that if the TC issue is not fixed by the oil change, they will install a new, updated one free of charge. They also provide a loaner free of charge when working on my vehicles. I would expect the same from any dealer.

So don't back down...and good luck!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by BenzboyW210
I've had the transfer case issue as per this thread on my E550. They changed the oil and that cured it for a while, now it seems to be coming back. Kind of a lurch I suppose, more like a shuddering at low speeds, with the wheel turned hard either direction.

I would go back to the dealer and give them a polite but firm 'conversation' about how they've had the car over 10 days, causing significant inconvenience to you, and have not yet reconciled the problem. I would not back off the dealer one bit. You don't want to be rude, but you want to be firm. You are the customer, the car is under warranty and these are expensive cars. They are there to serve YOU. Make sure they do so. If the dealer isn't providing you with adequate service, complain via written letter/e-mail to corporate MB USA/Canada. I've had success doing so in the past for various issues. They can investigate and escalate an issue if a particular dealer washes their hands of it.

My dealer has given me excellent service thus far, part of the reason I'm happy about my ownership experience overall despite the known issues. They have already stated that if the TC issue is not fixed by the oil change, they will install a new, updated one free of charge. They also provide a loaner free of charge when working on my vehicles. I would expect the same from any dealer.

So don't back down...and good luck!
Good info. Thanks for sharing. And here I was thinking that for major issues down the road I just had to worry about the counter balanace shaft and the AirMatic.

Just so I know what to look for, could someone please explain exactly how this issue manifests in an affected vehicle? What exactly do you mean by lurching? Is it hesitation followed by abrupt acceleration? Is this at low or high speeds? Any strange sounds or vibration?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:38 PM

E350 4Matic
BenzboyW210: This issue is different from the shudder (I had that problem as well). The lurching that I have varies in intensity and some of the more intense lurching feels like you have been rear-ended (a few people have described it this way).

Also, although they do provide me with a loaner car (usually a C class), they provide their loaners through a rental company (e.g., Enterprise) and I usually pay for the extra insurance (perhaps I shouldn’t but I park in the city and don’t want to be responsible for any dings/dents that I get). So, in addition to the inconvenience, there is also a daily charge for the car.

I figured I would give it a few more days and see if it improves. If not, I am definitely going to have a “conversation” with them. The last time I got the Service Director involved, perhaps I will see if there is anyone above her this time.

Thanks for the idea about sending a letter to Corporate – I am trying to decide whether or not to take it to a new dealer. If I do, I will definitely write the letter.

By the way, here is what my invoice said was repaired/replaced (there was no description or other info):

1 140-270-65-00 Transmission
1 211-270-00-31 Freewheel UN
1 722-270-00-31 Freewheel UN
1 140-277-00-95 Oil Filter
1 140-991-00-55 Lock Pin
6 001-989-68-03-10 Transmission
4 007603-014100 Ring, General
Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM

E350 4Matic
WEBSRFR: I added a little more explanation in my last post (e.g., it feels like you are being rear-ended). Basically, as I start to decelerate (while braking or just taking my foot off the gas), the car jerks forward. It seems to happen mostly when downshifting from 2nd to 1st.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
WEBSRFR: I added a little more explanation in my last post (e.g., it feels like you are being rear-ended). Basically, as I start to decelerate (while braking or just taking my foot off the gas), the car jerks forward. It seems to happen mostly when downshifting from 2nd to 1st.
This is very helpful! Thank you so much. So this would make sense then that people notice this only when they have the transmission in S because the first gear isn't used in C mode.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM

E350 4Matic
Although it happens mostly in S, it does happen in C (usually less frequently and less violently). That is why I don't think that my problem is just 2nd to 1st.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM

E320 CDI
It is the Torque Converter Clutch. The release action is somehow delayed when you release your gas pedal after acceleration. Imagine the clutch in a manual transmission car.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
BenzboyW210: This issue is different from the shudder (I had that problem as well). The lurching that I have varies in intensity and some of the more intense lurching feels like you have been rear-ended (a few people have described it this way).

Also, although they do provide me with a loaner car (usually a C class), they provide their loaners through a rental company (e.g., Enterprise) and I usually pay for the extra insurance (perhaps I shouldn’t but I park in the city and don’t want to be responsible for any dings/dents that I get). So, in addition to the inconvenience, there is also a daily charge for the car.

I figured I would give it a few more days and see if it improves. If not, I am definitely going to have a “conversation” with them. The last time I got the Service Director involved, perhaps I will see if there is anyone above her this time.

Thanks for the idea about sending a letter to Corporate – I am trying to decide whether or not to take it to a new dealer. If I do, I will definitely write the letter.

By the way, here is what my invoice said was repaired/replaced (there was no description or other info):

1 140-270-65-00 Transmission
1 211-270-00-31 Freewheel UN
1 722-270-00-31 Freewheel UN
1 140-277-00-95 Oil Filter
1 140-991-00-55 Lock Pin
6 001-989-68-03-10 Transmission
4 007603-014100 Ring, General
Ah gotcha. Mine sometimes downshifts somewhat abruptly in 'S' mode, almost harsh. Could feel like a lurch I suppose. I've written it off as a foible of this adaptive electronically-controlled 722.6 transmission. My E430 did the same thing...from time to time the transmission would act bizarre. I'd perform the reset and that would usually fix it. I think it's a function of the transmission not downshifting at the optimum RPM range and hence the shift is harsher than say an older hydraulic transmission. However, I must admit that at this point in this post, I am freely guessing with little technical data or knowledge to back me up.

Hope your experience with this dealer improves as well. Speaking with the owner may help.

If you get it resolved, please post the solution!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Good info. Thanks for sharing. And here I was thinking that for major issues down the road I just had to worry about the counter balanace shaft and the AirMatic.

Just so I know what to look for, could someone please explain exactly how this issue manifests in an affected vehicle? What exactly do you mean by lurching? Is it hesitation followed by abrupt acceleration? Is this at low or high speeds? Any strange sounds or vibration?
Lol. I think that's about it for major issues. For now.

If you get the transfer case issue, you will definitely know it. It presents at very low speeds, when turning sharply. The car will shudder and groan. Like say when you are maneuvering in an underground car park. There is a bulletin on it, well-known issue. MB will first change the TC oil (per bulletin), which may provide temporary relief from the symptoms. However, it most likely will return, at which point they'll replace the transfer case.

p.s. did you mention the balancer sprocket to your dealer? Might help to do so in case it ever goes bad, especially out of warranty. That way, you have a starting point for the issue. Perhaps see if they can do an inspection of some sort if you are truly worried about it. Might help in terms of goodwilling the repair, should it occur. I've had some work goodwilled on my GL450 (it has the CPO warranty, not the ELW)...having a strong relationship with your local dealership goes a long way IMO.

Last edited by BenzboyW210; 04-11-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 PM

E320 CDI
I don't think it is a downshifting issue at all. It is a motion that the car jerks forward all of the sudden. It is a result of TCC being fully released in the Torque converter all of the sudden. ECU < -> TCM -> Value Body -> TCC. There is a problem somewhere along the path there. The OP should get DAS hooked up to the car to disable TCC to isolate/pinpoint the problem. It is a dealership job.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by BenzboyW210
p.s. did you mention the balancer sprocket to your dealer? Might help to do so in case it ever goes bad, especially out of warranty. That way, you have a starting point for the issue. Perhaps see if they can do an inspection of some sort if you are truly worried about it. Might help in terms of goodwilling the repair, should it occur. I've had some work goodwilled on my GL450 (it has the CPO warranty, not the ELW)...having a strong relationship with your local dealership goes a long way IMO.
Thanks for the advice! I have my 100K/7 year warranty until 2013 so for now I am just letting things be but thanks to the forum I am fully aware of the problem and if I keep the car beyond the warranty period, I am definitely going to approach them about this issue. I can't see myself keeping the car beyond the warranty period with this issue not addressed or some reassurance that should it occur they will cover it.

I fully agree about having a good relationship with the dealer and service department. I give my SA wine bottles whenever I go there (not that often thankfully!) and the shop's foreman likes classical music so I have given him concert tickets when I have tickets that I can't use but for any small issues that I have brought to their attention, they seem to go out of their way to fix them and make sure I am happy. Also the foreman usually personally comes and greets me whenever I am there

I plan to approach them about the counter balance shaft issue about 6-8 months before the warranty runs out. Hopefully they will figure out a way to do the right thing because if I have to face this issue out of warranty and it costs me $5K+ in addition to normal depreciation and maintenance, I am going to feel like such an idiot for having incurred such a high total cost of ownership for a single year on an essentially 8 year old car by then!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 E350 4Matic "Lurching" Problem