E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

deep water

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2010 | 02:17 AM

06 SLK55, 22 EQS450
deep water

I have an '06 cdi. I was driving in heavy rains and was going through some deep water. I drove through similar deep water about 2 weeks ago with no problem. normally, a diesel engine doesn't have that much problem with it. But this time, the car stalled. I was out of the water and trying to drive into a driveway (slight incline). I tried waiting for a couple of minutes and trying to start it again and it doesn't crank at all. when I put the key in the ignition, i turn the key and wait for the glow plug light to turn off, then, try cranking it. The lights that are showing up, i don't know. so a couple of questions....

1. which lights are supposed to be displayed when starting the car. if i know this, then i can know for sure which lights remain on. that may help to diagnose the problem.

2. There is not even a sound from the engine when I try and crank it So I am assuming it is electrical. The battery seems fine. could it be the starter fuse maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Old 07-17-2010 | 01:09 AM

06 SLK55, 22 EQS450
UPDATE: I went underneath the car and looked at the starter. I tested it and found the starter was dead. At first, i thought it may have actually hydrolocked but there wasn't any water in the air filter. but as a precaution, i checked to make sure the crankshaft turned and it did. so major crisis averted!!! I took down the starter (which was a major pain in the ****). I will be replacing it in the next week or so after i get my new starter. Thanks for everyone who viewed/replied.