Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Summer vent feature not working

'04 E320 w/keyless go and pano roof.

Can't remember the last time I used this feature (and it worked) but now I can't open the windows/roof by holding down the unlock button on the smart key, after unlocking the car.

Tried synchronizing the windows and then the roof, but still not working.
Also won't work via the recirculate and charcoal filter buttons.

However, if I open the windows and roof manually, I can close them via the buttons and or the drivers door outside lock button (keyless go). So the close feature does work.

Any insight to what's going on here would be greatly appreciated.
Apparently not a common problem, as a search of the forums brought up zero.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Hi! Glad toi see a fresh Post! (I'm on L.I. since the 1st, but going to FL again on Monday) I ust love how everyone puts the "I already searched" disclaimer in all their posts so the impalers don't hang them up to dry!

I'm willing to bet the little IR window in the door handle is at fault. Yeah, I know... if it were broken, the feature wouldn't work in the closing procedure... but this is an MB, and nothing works logically. (Not that it doesn't work as designed...)
Old 07-18-2010, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Hi! Glad toi see a fresh Post! (I'm on L.I. since the 1st, but going to FL again on Monday) I ust love how everyone puts the "I already searched" disclaimer in all their posts so the impalers don't hang them up to dry!

I'm willing to bet the little IR window in the door handle is at fault. Yeah, I know... if it were broken, the feature wouldn't work in the closing procedure... but this is an MB, and nothing works logically. (Not that it doesn't work as designed...)
But isn't there a lot of logic to limit the summer convenience feature to work only over IR. You cannot accidentally open the windows from distance (if you do it for the doors, they lock again automatically, if a thief did not open the doors before that ). Also you would not accidentally close the windows from distance when a kid or a pet had his/her/its head/leg/arm out from the window.

Starbrite, if you did confirm that "one-touch" opening and closing works from the buttons (windows and sunroof), then it is likely the IR sensor at the door that has failed (as explained above). I think this car does not have an IR sensor at the passenger door, cannot test it on the other side then.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E200 Kompressor
Summer convenience opening

Since you also have keyless go, it is possible to activate summer convenience opening with the keyless go buttons on the doors (I have only ever tested the driver side) in addition to the infrared sensor (only available from the driver side). The latter will provide a work around if something is worng with you infra red sensor and/or programming albeit in my country (South Africa) the keyless go summer convenience only opens the windows (all of them) halfway with the sunroof.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Thanks for the responses guys.

I would have suspected the IR sensor in the door, however, the thing you all missed in the OP is that the feature also does not work with the "recirculate" and "charcoal filter" buttons, and it's supposed to.

@Barry, you've had FL weather up here for so long it's like being in both places at once.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
But isn't there a lot of logic to limit the summer convenience feature to work only over IR. You cannot accidentally open the windows from distance (if you do it for the doors, they lock again automatically, if a thief did not open the doors before that ). Also you would not accidentally close the windows from distance when a kid or a pet had his/her/its head/leg/arm out from the window.

Starbrite, if you did confirm that "one-touch" opening and closing works from the buttons (windows and sunroof), then it is likely the IR sensor at the door that has failed (as explained above). I think this car does not have an IR sensor at the passenger door, cannot test it on the other side then.
In the US the (US) passenger side door IR window in the door handle was eliminated after the 2003 MY.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
In the US the (US) passenger side door IR window in the door handle was eliminated after the 2003 MY.
Thanks, must be the same for us in Europe.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ronaldk
Since you also have keyless go, it is possible to activate summer convenience opening with the keyless go buttons on the doors (I have only ever tested the driver side) in addition to the infrared sensor (only available from the driver side). The latter will provide a work around if something is worng with you infra red sensor and/or programming albeit in my country (South Africa) the keyless go summer convenience only opens the windows (all of them) halfway with the sunroof.
A good point. I tried the mechanical key on a non-KG car but it does not seem to work like it did on cars before IR was "invented".

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 07-18-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by starbrite
Thanks for the responses guys.

I would have suspected the IR sensor in the door, however, the thing you all missed in the OP is that the feature also does not work with the "recirculate" and "charcoal filter" buttons, and it's supposed to.
I forgot to add a comment on the recirculate button feature. I should have tested this too in the car or double checked it from the manual but isn't this a different feature: if your windows and sunroof are open, you can close all windows and the sunroof from the recirculate (or equivalent) button like when passing a bad smell area (someone had nice examples previously ) and later on you can make all windows and the sunroof return to the previous position from this button.

But if you start with all windows closed, I don't think you would reach the results as from the summer convenience feature.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 07-18-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Weak Battery

A new battery in the fob fixed this problem for me. As I understand it, the signal needs to more powerful to activate this feature.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
@diesel benz, yes the recirculate and filter buttons DO OPEN the windows/roof when they're closed.
Unless the manual is wrong, page 197, lower right side, lists all 3 methods to activate summer vent feature.

@tpabenz, I tried a new battery and a different key, with no change.

@ronaldk, no, the door button will only close windows/roof, not open.

Interestingly, I put the key in the ignition and turned to 1st and then 2nd position, then off and removed.

When pressing the unlock button on the key, this time everything worked ! Tried it a 2nd time and no go. Tried the key in the ignition again and this time it didn't work. So my guess is that there is some kind of sync issue.

I searched the entire forum again using several different terms and came across a post in the W220, S Class forum, by 'SKYLAW", titled Handy Resets, that contained this :

Global Synchronization of auto open/unlock (windows open/close when car is unlocked/locked):

"Global synchronization synchs all of your windows and sunroof so that they all open or close by a single command (pointing the key at the IR receiver in the driver's door handle, and pushing & holding lock or unlock). Place the A/C switch on the A/C control panel in Auto, and the recirc button on. Then press the button between the temp controls and hold it until all of the windows and roof close. This should resynch them. After that, the Smart Key should open or close the windows and sunroof as well as lock or unlock the doors.

Also: Door locks are controlled from the key by radio frequency, and will operate regardless of direction the key is pointed. The auto window/sunroof features are infrared, however, and operate only if the key is pointed at the small square IR receiver in the driver's door handle. The IR range is usually less than the RF range, and can be affected by bright sunlight directly on the door handle."

The text in bold is the thing that doesn't seem to apply to the 211. The only button between the temp controls, that I see, is the "O" button and that doesn't work. I'll pm him and ask what that button is.

Last edited by starbrite; 07-19-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Of course, I wrote that for, and posted it on, the W220 forum. The button is the "air volume, manual or automatic" - the fan control button. It is located between the temperature control buttons on a W220.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Thanks skylaw for responding ! I'll see if I can apply that to the w211.

Edit: apparently doesn't work for the 211

Last edited by starbrite; 07-19-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
I have my door locks programmed so that just the driver's door opens with a single press of the unlock button.

So, grasping for straws now, I thought I'd toggle it back to "unlock all".

Well, just terrific, now that doesn't work either.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM

W211 E200 Kompressor
Convenience Opening with Keyles Go

I beg to differ Starbrite, one can trigger the convenience opening (open air) with the keyless go system. This is explained in my owners manual as attached (red text section) albeit that it is contradicted elsewhere. However it is of little use since, like I mentioned, (depending on country) it only open all windows and sunroof half way. In addition, it is a very tedious operation (the manual's explaination is not easy to replicate).

I note that the owners manual does provide the methods to reset sunroof and seperately how to synchronise (reset) the windows. All in "Open air" section. Perhaps consider doing this.
Attached Thumbnails Summer vent feature not working-convenience-opening0001.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Sorry, Ronaldk, I misunderstood your post and thought you meant open via the button.

In any event, that page is not in my manual, (MY'04) nor does it work.
All it does is open the door (with or without pulling, just grasping the handle)

Syncing the windows and roof was the first thing I did, as mentioned in the op.

I may disconnect the main battery next to see if that will do some kind of "reset"

Last edited by starbrite; 07-19-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM

W211 E200 Kompressor
Correct procedure

Did you follow the correct procedure? The opening function with keyless is activated as follow:

1. Press and hold the keyless go "close" (outer) button on any of door grips for at least 3 seconds (you will hear the clicking of the locking relay even if the car was already locked).

2. Release the button and within 1 second press and hold (also for approximately 3 seconds) the open (inner) buttom of the same handle. The door will not release, but will unlock the car (depending on your oen door / all door programmed preference) and all windows and roof will be opened halfway (you may be lucky and have full open option in USA?)

I have tested on both our e-classes MY 2004 and MY 2009 and it works on all 4 doors.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by Ronaldk
Did you follow the correct procedure? The opening function with keyless is activated as follow:

1. Press and hold the keyless go "close" (outer) button on any of door grips for at least 3 seconds (you will hear the clicking of the locking relay even if the car was already locked).

2. Release the button and within 1 second press and hold (also for approximately 3 seconds) the open (inner) buttom of the same handle. The door will not release, but will unlock the car (depending on your oen door / all door programmed preference) and all windows and roof will be opened halfway (you may be lucky and have full open option in USA?)

I have tested on both our e-classes MY 2004 and MY 2009 and it works on all 4 doors.
No, dumb me, I did not follow the correct procedure. Thanks for posting it. (can't find it in my manual)

Did it and worked fine on all 4 doors. Windows went down half way.

Tried it with the key and now it works (windows go all the way down here).
With Pano roof the sunshade has to be open for the roof to open, otherwise just the shade opens.

So, a big "Thank You" to you, Ronaldk !!

Edit : BTW, the manual obviously is wrong re the recirculate and filter buttons opening the windows/roof.
They still just close them, and reopen to the same positions.

Edit#2:Well, it looks like the car didn't like sitting overnight, back to not working again.

Last edited by starbrite; 07-20-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by starbrite

Edit : BTW, the manual obviously is wrong re the recirculate and filter buttons opening the windows/roof.
They still just close them, and reopen to the same positions.
The manual is confusing, I would not say wrong but at least quite misleading with the text on page 197. The same confusion repeats for the sunroof section. Windows can be opened and closed but only under the precondition that windows are first open, at least partially and then windows can be closed. Equally windows can be opened up to the previous positions only once they have been closed from the recirculation button.

This is properly explained at the "Air recirculation mode" section. Page 197 should refer to this section (too) instead of referring to an earlier section where the position of the button is explained.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Or, just NOT stated in the first place, on 197, that the buttons were capable of the "summer ventilation " feature.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Convenience Open / Close, Summer Vent Feature

I have a beautiful rotty named Marla (Wanna see her pic... much more interesting than a pic of anything else in this post, and folks ALWAYS want a pic on this forum ;-), and sometimes she does something naughty that makes me angry, and costs me money. Last week she ate my spare key. Either it was shiny and tasty looking, or shew knew it was what took me away from her. So $300 later I have a replacement, and after inserting it into the ignition, and getting the "Teaching Key...." teach-in message, the "Convenience Open / Close" feature worked...... Once.

I had thought the IR sensor in the door key tumbler would have to be replaced to get the feature back, but this latest incident seems to point to a programming type issue.... but maybe not. ("Logic 7" is a stereo thing, and too often the only logic I can find in reference to my favorite ride)

Pushing the recirc button does close all windows and sunroof, and then reopen, so I don't think it's a sync issue, but I already tried all the sync options I can find. (I think I synced correctly) So does anyone have some insight? Actual experience? Wild a$$ guess? It would be quite disheartening to spend the time and money for a new IR sensor and not have the issue resolved, or rather annoying to spend the time and money when there was a free fix.

Last edited by Honcho; 06-21-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: BTW: No Keyless Go
Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
04 C230 Kompressor
See my video below on how to repair the IR sensor. Hope this helps!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
@ hand....good video. Unfortunately the W211 ir sensor is not in the same location as yours. It's located in the handle itself, not by the lock. <----WRONG, see below

Mine's still not working btw.

Last edited by starbrite; 08-18-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
IR sensor is in same location as video, KG is in handle http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...ce_and_repair/
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Wow, I missed that one kt....thanks. Maybe now I can get mine working again. Can't hurt to try, as hand said.

Does that sensor control anything else besides the vent feature?

Edit: @hand....did you get the conformal coating at the Shack as well?

Last edited by starbrite; 08-18-2014 at 05:26 PM.