E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

COMAND unit replaced by dealer = no more sound from iPod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
COMAND unit replaced by dealer = no more sound from iPod

I have a factory iPod integration kit and a 2005 W211 E55. The previous COMAND unit crapped out - lots of pink lines on the screen - and was replaced by the dealer. Since picking it up, my iPod hasn't worked. I can see the songs on the speedo display, control the iPod, but no sound comes out. I called them and they couldn't think of anything, other than reprogramming. I struggle to understand how reprogramming would be the solution if I can control it and turn to AUX without any problem. I'm wondering if there are separate control cables and sound cables somewhere behind the dash with the system and the dealer messed this up. Help me please.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
There is a small harness that is used for the AUX in (and replaced by the iPod kit I believe) that connects to the back of the COMAND unit. I bet it is loose or not connected. Check it first before reprogramming etc.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM

E55
Thanks for the quick response. There were two pigtails that fit in the aux slot in the back of the COMAND. The tech picked the wrong one. I replaced it and everything seems to be working.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Good to hear, sucks when you come across real schmucks working at dealerships...... I bet you the idiots were going to charge you for the "diagnostic".

Cheers
Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 AM

E55
Actually, it was Hahn Motors in Yakima and not only did they say the diagnostic was on the house, but they said they'd offer me a loaner if I had to leave it. All in all, not too bad a response. I just didn't want to drive all the way to the dealer and be without my car again.

Thanks again!