E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is ipod connector AND aux input possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends where I'm going.
Is ipod connector AND aux input possible?

My 08 E350 came with the glovebox ipod connector with steering wheel control integration but my aux input is disabled. Any way to have both active?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Yes, but......It's alot of work. If the ipod kit wasn't installed at the factory, the wire from the aux input should be loose and disconnected behind the radio. You can only plug one at a time in the back of the COMAND unit. If it was installed at the factory, you probably need to buy the harness that goes from the back of the radio to the aux (about $25).

I will tell you this. The sound of the ipod through the ipod connector sux. My volume was too low compared to CD. Once I reinstalled the aux input, I ran a 1/8" to 1/8" audio cable from the ipod's headphone out to the aux input. This sounded much, much better. You can keep the 30 pin ipod connection to the ipod and have the headphone out go to the aux and it will still control the ipod through the steering wheel.

In the end I ditched the factory unit and installed this http://www.amazon.com/Soundgate-AUX3.../dp/B0007ZBCG4 The aux3 allows you to make 3 inputs out of one.

There are some details in this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...an-kardon.html

I now have a 3 way switch under my steering wheel that allows me to switch between 1) ipod connected under the cupholder
2) aftermarket SAT radio
3) an open aux input - my wife can plug her iphone or laptop into this one

This setup is working really well and wasn't a very difficult install.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by BagMan; 09-02-2010 at 02:27 PM.