E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Enabling backup camera on NTG 2.5 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2020 | 08:42 PM

2009 E350
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Did you connect and mount the rear view camera already?

OBD.

I’ll clear my over flowing inbox tonight.
Not yet. going to drill/mount and rewire tonight. We can just tap into the back up light right? or would it be safer to use the 12v outlet
Old 09-04-2020 | 11:40 PM

09 E63
Those that have done the drilling of a new camera hole; can I drill in this small spot between the handle and right light circled in my pic? So the camera is more centered.

seeing all these ebay and Amazon cameras ranging from $18 to $50; any recommendations?

thank you all

Old 09-04-2020 | 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anomadtoo
Those that have done the drilling of a new camera hole; can I drill in this small spot between the handle and right light circled in my pic? So the camera is more centered.

seeing all these ebay and Amazon cameras ranging from $18 to $50; any recommendations?

thank you all

That’s how I did it and 10 years later I regret it. The camera stopped working and I can’t take it out because then there is a hole in the trunk.

I use license plate light cameras nowadays on my customer’s cars.
Old 09-05-2020 | 01:04 AM

09 E63
Originally Posted by Mackhack
That’s how I did it and 10 years later I regret it. The camera stopped working and I can’t take it out because then there is a hole in the trunk.

I use license plate light cameras nowadays on my customer’s cars.
But they are replaceable easy enough correct?

is there a plate light camera you recommend? I’ve seen a couple but they have the curved edges in front while mine is in back. One Chinese vendor has it style 1 or 2 depending on the shape and you have to specify; so at least that’s good, but not many vendors do that; and I’m not waiting 2 months to get it

thanks Mack
Old 09-05-2020 | 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by anomadtoo
But they are replaceable easy enough correct?

is there a plate light camera you recommend? I’ve seen a couple but they have the curved edges in front while mine is in back. One Chinese vendor has it style 1 or 2 depending on the shape and you have to specify; so at least that’s good, but not many vendors do that; and I’m not waiting 2 months to get it

thanks Mack
Wait a few days and I can show you one.
Old 09-09-2020 | 01:13 PM

09 E63
For my E63, I wound up ordering this camera as it had the correct shape for light cover (downward):

Misayaee Rear View Back Up Reverse Parking Camera in License Plate Lighting (NTSC) for MB C-Class W203/E-Class W211/W212 CLS-Class W219 W218 (No. 1 size 2565mm Down Round Edge) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CLB2W..._SUqwFbHW7WR7J

and this module suggested by other MB owners for VMI and the camera to connect to:

https://*****************/mercedes-b...in-motion.aspx

Old 07-24-2021 | 11:49 AM

2001 CLK320 Cabriolet, 2012 Viano
Rear View Camera

Hi, I have read all that has been posted with regard to fitting a rear view camera to the NTG 2.5 and am still none the wiser. I have a camera fitted to my 2012 Viano but have had to wire it through a separate screen in the mirror as I could not get the Comand to see it.
I purchased a Star system a couple of years ago and found the step by step instructions as to how to enable the Head Unit only recently.
Plugged in the SD and followed the instructions and low and behold it all worked, but still ...nothing.
Does anybody have any idea if I have missed a step? I completed the change of enabling the rear view camera and it asked if I wanted to send the change to the module and after about 2 seconds it said 'done' . but still no sign of the camera or even a black screen as I have not yet connected the camera to the head unit......or is that the problem.
Rear view camera is still not there as an option on the system menu.
Old 07-24-2021 | 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wetdogleader
Hi, I have read all that has been posted with regard to fitting a rear view camera to the NTG 2.5 and am still none the wiser. I have a camera fitted to my 2012 Viano but have had to wire it through a separate screen in the mirror as I could not get the Comand to see it.
I purchased a Star system a couple of years ago and found the step by step instructions as to how to enable the Head Unit only recently.
Plugged in the SD and followed the instructions and low and behold it all worked, but still ...nothing.
Does anybody have any idea if I have missed a step? I completed the change of enabling the rear view camera and it asked if I wanted to send the change to the module and after about 2 seconds it said 'done' . but still no sign of the camera or even a black screen as I have not yet connected the camera to the head unit......or is that the problem.
Rear view camera is still not there as an option on the system menu.
No camera plugged in no picture. If done right it will automatically switch to the camera view with a black screen and some text on the upper edge warning you about your surrounding when I’m reverse.
Old 07-24-2021 | 12:02 PM

OK Great and thanks for the quick reply. Tomorrow I will attach the camera and see what I've got.
Old 07-25-2021 | 06:28 AM

OK so I have played with it again today and connected the camera. Still absolutely nothing, zilch, nada.
I checked again with the SD and for some reason it had gone back to not installed, so I reinstalled it again came out of it and went back in and it was showing installed.
Ignition on, select reverse and still nothing it does not switch screens, you are still looking at the radio screen or whatever was there before.
I feel that there should be some sign of a change, the message check your surroundings etc is generated by the car not the camera I believe. I would expect to see the message and a black screen with no camera attached, would that be correct.
I did not restart the ring....whatever that is, and have also read that it can take up to 4 hrs for these changes to take effect. Is that correct
Old 07-25-2021 | 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wetdogleader
OK so I have played with it again today and connected the camera. Still absolutely nothing, zilch, nada.
I checked again with the SD and for some reason it had gone back to not installed, so I reinstalled it again came out of it and went back in and it was showing installed.
Ignition on, select reverse and still nothing it does not switch screens, you are still looking at the radio screen or whatever was there before.
I feel that there should be some sign of a change, the message check your surroundings etc is generated by the car not the camera I believe. I would expect to see the message and a black screen with no camera attached, would that be correct.
I did not restart the ring....whatever that is, and have also read that it can take up to 4 hrs for these changes to take effect. Is that correct
Incorrect. It’s immediately available if done correct.

I have coded numerous of these and never had an issue like you.
Old 07-25-2021 | 09:57 AM

Just lucky I guess! One thing that has come to mind is there is no reverse camera option on the HU. I though that once it was coded the option would appear on the menu. Is that how it works or is my Comand the only one that wont accept a camera?
Old 01-02-2022 | 04:20 PM

SL550 2012
backup camera - Fakra connection

Guys, I know this is an old post but stumbled across it in researching adding a back up camera to my 2012 SL550 (NTG 2.5). Question on the Fakra connectors and color? I have a green Fakra port that's unused, the yellow and blue are in use. Does it matter WHICH Fakra port I use on the Comand unit?

thanks
Bob
Old 01-03-2022 | 10:00 AM

fleet
Originally Posted by BobCT
Guys, I know this is an old post but stumbled across it in researching adding a back up camera to my 2012 SL550 (NTG 2.5). Question on the Fakra connectors and color? I have a green Fakra port that's unused, the yellow and blue are in use. Does it matter WHICH Fakra port I use on the Comand unit?

thanks
Bob
most likely yes, unfortunately cannot offer more help sorry Bob. Worth figuring out. once in a blue moon I put it out of reverse back into drive and it keeps the camera on. rare

Old 01-03-2022 | 10:02 AM

fleet
get the best quality camera you can find so it does not poop out. also, drilling a small hole is not a big deal, worst case scenario you patch it over with epoxy and black ink. drilling and installing camera is CORRECT way to mount camera instead of the "pop in license plate bulb" style ones.
Old 01-09-2022 | 06:38 PM

W211 e240
NTG1 backup camera

Hello Gents and greetings from Cairo, Egypt.
It’s been taking me a while searching for similar subjects and I have my 2003 e240 which had the audio tapes comand and then I retrofitted it NTG1 with green fakra as my car is equipped with the fibre optic cable.
I would be indeed grateful if you can guide me how to enable the backup camera and I have no problem to manually press the video button to switch to the back up camera.
Any support will be truly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 01-23-2022 | 05:57 PM

SL550 2012
Originally Posted by e350forme
get the best quality camera you can find so it does not poop out. also, drilling a small hole is not a big deal, worst case scenario you patch it over with epoxy and black ink. drilling and installing camera is CORRECT way to mount camera instead of the "pop in license plate bulb" style ones.

good advise, appreciate the replies!