E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

coolant expansion cap blew off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant expansion cap blew off

Hey guys, Jimmy in Boston here.. i guess this is my first post.. and of course its something broke! lawl!

2007 E350 4Matic

i was driving today, not getting on the throttle at all and pulled into a parkinglot. Immediately my coolant expansion tank blew off the cap and burning coolant everywhere on the manifold..Yay!

.opened the hood and ducked under, saw a stream of coolant spewing out, but it later stopped to a fast drip. Lost about i'd say a half liter, but to the point where you can still see the antifreeze in the expansion tank at a little more than minimum level. Faulty cap, from the pressure guys?

Also one other question, the cap has some loose play after going through the majority of the threads, and can spin freely on the top for about a half turn...does anyone else's cap do this too? ( i assume for pressure blowoff sake?) or is this a definite fact that the cap is faulty now?

Thanks guys! any comments related would be helpful! im off to the dealership tomorrow to buy a new cap anyways...

Last edited by jimmyc83; 09-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 E55(SOLD), 03 E500(SOLD)
Do you recall what temperature the gauge was indicating?

I'd guess the cap may be at fault too. Has replacing the cap solved the problem?