E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Air Filter

Has anyone installed a K&N air filter on their W211? If so, did you feel any noticeable difference? Looking to get some inexpensive HP boosts without too much modification of engine components or exhaust. Maybe the air filter and a chip.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: K&N Air Filter

Originally posted by Joseesq
Has anyone installed a K&N air filter on their W211? If so, did you feel any noticeable difference? Looking to get some inexpensive HP boosts without too much modification of engine components or exhaust. Maybe the air filter and a chip.
i might be wrong, but i thought i read something on this board saying that an air filter from MB is better, itll actually lower your HP if you get a K&N. but i doubt that, i am not sure if it will help
Old 04-20-2003, 02:06 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
You need to be careful with aftermarket air filter options...

On your 3.2L, I doubt you will notice any difference at all regarding power gains if you simply change the air filter. Often times, stock filters already allow more airflow to enter than the engine needs. Putting even less restrictive aftermarket filters and intake systems on your car leaves you open for more debris to enter your engine. I don't know about Mercedes, but in Porsches, aftermarket filters and intakes are associated with stalling, sputtering, and in some cases, loss of power. Not to mention the infamous "Check engine" warning lights!

Getting a new chip might help with higher octane fuel since today's motors are so efficient.

Your best bet for power gains is to help your engine breathe better on the exhaust side, as in new headers, racing cats, and a free flow exhaust. This will also add a racy sound to your ride. But watch out for the cats since you're in SoCal... you might not pass emissions testing.

Go meet with one of your friendly Mercedes tuner outfits in Cali... I'm sure they'd love to help you spend some $$$!
Old 04-20-2003, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Have to agree with NuBenz, don't waste your money trying to improve your MB air induction system.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:27 PM

Thanks guys. Since I don't want to tweek the exhaust because I have a lease, I guess I'm better off with the chip which should get me about 15-18 HP boost. I think the chip will run me between $500 to $800 installed. Of course, should I install the chip I will post my comments.