E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

checking/adding transmission fluid on E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
checking/adding transmission fluid on E55

Does anyone know how to check and add transmission fluid on an 04 E55 AMG? I just found out it has a slight seep
Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I think the V-8 tranny is the same as my 320 model.
Look for a tube near the fire wall that has a tamper resistant cap May be hidden by the air filter housing. Factory caps are red
You have to break the cap to remove it so you will need a replacement, About $1.25 from parts houses
You will need a dipstick that does not come with the car.
They are available from M-B for a small fortune or on Ebay from China
I bought both the oil and tranny but I dont think you need both- one might do
As for the amount of oil showing on the stick- Probably have to do some digging on this board but I believe some one posted the amount that is coated in millimeters when full
Use only M-B OEM tranny fluid
As with any automatic- DO NOT OVERFILL

I replinished mine by removing as much as would drain from the sump, measured carefully and increased it by 5 oz for the oil that stuck to the pan, filter etc.

The M-B branded fluid comes in LITERS

I would not add more than a few ounces until you have a definite benchmark for "FULL"
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM

2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
I have a red cap near the back of the engine but it is just a plug, with no dip stick. I was led to believe that this was the engine oil dip stick tube even though it is red. Does this sound right? If it is the tranny, which would make more sense, I'll just have to get the dip stick. Thanks for the help, I have had lots of experience with older benz's but this is the first car I've had to deal with that makes it impossible to do simple things like check fluid levels....
Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
On my V-6 the transmission fill tube is hidden beneath the air filter cover. You have to remove the cover to expose it.
Since you have a short history with the car it is possible to think that someone broke the tamper cap and failed to replace it. That might make it come off with little effort

The tranny cap when properly installed will NOT come off without destroying a plastic tab.

At least one person here has filled their engine with fluid or vice versa (tranny with oil) Neither is a good scenario. You probably figured out that M-B does really not really encourage owner service for this item.
The 7 speeds have no filler in the engine bay and have to be dealer serviced.

Search this forum. Somewhere there are several good pictures of a V-8 with arrows and text. Might be a pain but better than having it towed or destroyed by the wrong lubricant/ quantity

I would advise not getting in a hurry. A few ounces of fluid on the driveway will not yield near the failure that overfilling / wrong lube will

PS There are no dipsticks OEM for these cars. You can buy a "service" tool
But it is too long to leave in permanently
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 AM

2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
great, thanks for the help