E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cruise control lights flashing. Why? Can't find answer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
W211 cruse control

My 2007 E230 w211 does the same thing.. sometimes work fine, other times flashes, other times just go off while speed control still works normally
Old 01-30-2019, 02:49 AM

07 E350
My 07 E350 Just started doing the same thing. It was working fine until my battery was dead when i came back from working 28 days offshore. Car started fine no sign of any other problems just that damn blinking. i checked it with my star inspection and no faults in the instrument panel or cruse control modules.. only thing that caught my eye while i was checking every system was my steering wheel module says my wheel is position is always turned right. but the degrees is 0 and works all the way through the steering lock. only change i made to the car before was putting 20'' rims on it have no had my wheel alignment done yet. getting it done in the morning will update if it fixes the problem.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:45 PM

2006 E350W
Originally Posted by 07E350Benz
My 07 E350 Just started doing the same thing. It was working fine until my battery was dead when i came back from working 28 days offshore. Car started fine no sign of any other problems just that damn blinking. i checked it with my star inspection and no faults in the instrument panel or cruse control modules.. only thing that caught my eye while i was checking every system was my steering wheel module says my wheel is position is always turned right. but the degrees is 0 and works all the way through the steering lock. only change i made to the car before was putting 20'' rims on it have no had my wheel alignment done yet. getting it done in the morning will update if it fixes the problem.
Spoiler

Old 08-21-2019, 12:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
W205, X253, C190, W213,
It's the gauge cluster. I had the same issue and swapped my gauge cluster out with one off of eBay (retaining the original PCB) and it's cured.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
2006 E320 CDI

LAST year my cruise ring never came on, prior years always worked, few times this year it would flash, and randomly only work for a day. But for the past 5 days, its been working as it should, lit when cruise is on. I think, maybe, its a CANBUS error. What is needed is a CANBUS analyzer to read the messages and see if the message is being sent or acknowledged.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLK 350 Cab
Please keep this information updated

New to the forum. Thanks guys for discussing this. I am having the same issue. Random flashes when not using the cruise and then blinking when cruise is engaged. It feels as though everything is working as it should, just the lights are angry at me. I tried to reset the transmission using the 30 second method and it corrected the issue until I changed lanes using left turn signal and it began to blink again. I then pulled off the road and reset using the 30 second/5 minute method and it corrected the issue. I tried the turn signal and it did not fail but it has only been a short period of time since then. I will report back if I notice a change during any particular event or if it remains in working mode.

I am surprised that there is no solution based on the duration of this thread. Hopefully we can collectively resolve this gremlin.

Update (8/22): After work I engaged the cruise on the way home, the blinking bricks came back to visit! My next step is to swap out the brake switch. From past experience I remember doing a brake switch on an Infiniti Q50 with a blinking cruise indicator that resolved the problem. Not exactly the same but I think the system concept and engineering might be close enough to have similar symptoms/results. Will post another update after parts arrive.

(8/26) My Master Mechanic friend has informed me that the brake switch is most likely on the booster. I decided to park the car for few days and think about this a little bit. I did disconnect the battery when I fixed the tumble flap/intake code. I wonder if I should reset the steering angle? I am now thinking (on advice of another member) that I should replace the instrument cluster.

Update (8/23): Everything worked fine this morning . . . cruise set at 45mph until I approached a school zone, applied brakes and the system disengaged as it should, when I reset the cruise all of the speed set lights were out, not even blinking bricks anymore, completely out. On the drive home I engaged the cruise and everything worked fine again, cruised for about 3 miles and all lights on the cruise speed indicator went out. The cruise functions as it should except for the display. Have scheduled an appointment with the dealer to troubleshoot this further but I will still attempt the brake switch replacement when it arrives tomorrow.

Update (8/25): HELP! I don't have a brake switch under the dash. Am I finally ready to check into a a nice retirement community or is this possible? I found a bracket and hole where I would have thought the switch should go. Any advice, is this braking system controlled someplace under the hood?

Update (9/10): I had an appointment with the dealer but Dorian interfered with that plan. I also purchased a used gauge cluster on ebay but it never arrived. I'm guessing Dorian got in the way there too. Got a refund so no harm. I am going to make some time to have the dealer run code scan but I am beginning to think it is either an electrical issue in the cluster of a sensor to the speed/transmission. Will try to stay on this.

Update (9/29): Had to take break. Life gets in the the way sometimes. Problem continues but is intermittent. I went on a road trip and the CC worked fine. A few days later, back to flash, then no lights but functions normal. Thanks for the suggestions on the cluster, that is probably my next step. I will try to find one online.

Update (10/17): The mystery continues. For the past 2-3 weeks everything is working as normal. Lights come on when CC engaged, no flashing, all is good. The only change is the weather. It is no longer in the 90s it is generally in the low 80s and high 60s at night. I will watch this closely..

11/16; Hell's bells and all's well - still. Strange, very strange.

1/13: Okay, I'm back and I was able to discuss this problem with a couple of different mechanics. Both were from Euro indi shops in my local area. The conclusion is that it is in fact a defect in the gauge cluster. I can be replaced (if it bothers you that much) this will require one of two actions; you will need to flash the dash with a programming tool that will cost extra for the procedure or you can attempt to transfer the eprom yourself or through a shop that does this kind of thing. That seems to be it as no codes related to the transmission or electrical problems are showing on my car. -- I hope this helps. FYI -- I must give credit to irondad for telling me this was their solution. He did the eprom switch and it worked for him.

Last edited by jepaul; 01-13-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 E300TD, 2005 SL55 AMG, 2006 E300 CDI, 1991 300GD(sold)
Same exact problem. Little flashing blue bricks without rhyme or reason......cruise works fine.
The following users liked this post:
jepaul (09-10-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 04:35 PM

2003 E240 Elegance
Hi gang, new guy here with a 2003 E240 (South African spec). I just bought the car and still finding my way around it, but have owned a E230 (1998) and an E240 (2000) before.
I read through this thread hoping to find a fix or maybe some fresh ideas!

My CC engages, along with the segmented ring and behaves normally for maybe 10 seconds, then the ring starts flashing and the CC disengages!!
I tried everything I could think of, including resetting all the km /kph /l/100 settings (Mi /MPH /MPG) - no joy.

What may be a clue, is the red "+ Battery -" warning comes on after start-up. The previous owner said that aux battery needs replacing? I checked on the main battery in the trunk and I don't believe that it is the correct battery for this car - way too small?

Last edited by SteveJay; 09-22-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:01 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by SteveJay
Hi gang, new guy here with a 2003 E240 (South African spec). I just bought the car and still finding my way around it, but have owned a E230 (1998) and an E240 (2000) before.

My CC engages, along with the segmented ring and behaves normally for maybe 10 seconds, then the ring starts flashing and the CC disengages!!
I tried everything I could think of, including resetting all the km /kph /l/100 settings (Mi /MPH /MPG) - no joy.

What may be a clue, is the red "+ Battery -" warning comes on after start-up. The previous owner said that aux battery needs replacing? I checked on the main battery in the trunk and I don't believe that it is the correct battery for this car - way too small?
the main battery is a group 49, AGM, I INSTALLED a Bosch Series 6, 7 yr warranty, $185 including tax from pep boys
aux battery from FCP euro $124
Aux battery 12v 12ah 2115410001

Main Battery 0055411001

Old 09-23-2019, 06:51 AM

2003 E240 Elegance
Originally Posted by SteveJay

Thank you OT1.

Took it onto the motorway today to experiment with the cruise control, At speeds below 110 kmh (69 mph) it works normally with the segmented circle filling the balance of the range. If i bump up the cruise speed, the segmented bit flashes and the CC disengages??
Old 09-24-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
W205, X253, C190, W213,
Originally Posted by jepaul
New to the forum. Thanks guys for discussing this. I am having the same issue. Random flashes when not using the cruise and then blinking when cruise is engaged. It feels as though everything is working as it should, just the lights are angry at me. I tried to reset the transmission using the 30 second method and it corrected the issue until I changed lanes using left turn signal and it began to blink again. I then pulled off the road and reset using the 30 second/5 minute method and it corrected the issue. I tried the turn signal and it did not fail but it has only been a short period of time since then. I will report back if I notice a change during any particular event or if it remains in working mode.

I am surprised that there is no solution based on the duration of this thread. Hopefully we can collectively resolve this gremlin.

Update (8/22): After work I engaged the cruise on the way home, the blinking bricks came back to visit! My next step is to swap out the brake switch. From past experience I remember doing a brake switch on an Infiniti Q50 with a blinking cruise indicator that resolved the problem. Not exactly the same but I think the system concept and engineering might be close enough to have similar symptoms/results. Will post another update after parts arrive.

(8/26) My Master Mechanic friend has informed me that the brake switch is most likely on the booster. I decided to park the car for few days and think about this a little bit. I did disconnect the battery when I fixed the tumble flap/intake code. I wonder if I should reset the steering angle? I am now thinking (on advice of another member) that I should replace the instrument cluster.

Update (8/23): Everything worked fine this morning . . . cruise set at 45mph until I approached a school zone, applied brakes and the system disengaged as it should, when I reset the cruise all of the speed set lights were out, not even blinking bricks anymore, completely out. On the drive home I engaged the cruise and everything worked fine again, cruised for about 3 miles and all lights on the cruise speed indicator went out. The cruise functions as it should except for the display. Have scheduled an appointment with the dealer to troubleshoot this further but I will still attempt the brake switch replacement when it arrives tomorrow.

Update (8/25): HELP! I don't have a brake switch under the dash. Am I finally ready to check into a a nice retirement community or is this possible? I found a bracket and hole where I would have thought the switch should go. Any advice, is this braking system controlled someplace under the hood?

Update (9/10): I had an appointment with the dealer but Dorian interfered with that plan. I also purchased a used gauge cluster on ebay but it never arrived. I'm guessing Dorian got in the way there too. Got a refund so no harm. I am going to make some time to have the dealer run code scan but I am beginning to think it is either an electrical issue in the cluster of a sensor to the speed/transmission. Will try to stay on this.
It's the gauge cluster. Get a used cluster, swap the PCB (search on here for that), and problem solved.
I've had the problem and did that on both cars and problem solved.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:35 AM

2006 CLK 350 Cab
Okay, I was able to discuss this problem with a couple of different mechanics. Both were from Euro indi shops in my local area. The conclusion is that it is in fact a defect in the gauge cluster. It can be replaced (if it bothers you that much), it will require one of two actions; 1) you will need to flash the dash with a programming tool that will cost extra for the procedure; 2) you can attempt to transfer the eprom yourself or through a shop that does that kind of thing. That seems to be it as no codes related to the transmission or electrical problems are showing on my car. -- I hope this helps. FYI -- I must give credit to "Irondad" for telling me, this was their solution. He did the eprom switch and it worked.

Last edited by jepaul; 01-16-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-15-2020, 10:57 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
I have been using my cruise control every day during every errand to keep from getting a ticket in the areas I drive daily. Recently the segmented cruise display would sometimes work, sometimes not. When it worked appeared to be associated to the cabin temperature. I now believe a driver chip for the display has a bad solder joint or maybe a bad trace via. Does anyone know where I can find the schematics for the 06 w211 instrument panel—?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ot1
I now believe a driver chip for the display has a bad solder joint or maybe a bad trace via.
Pull the IC and visually inspect boards. 209 basically same as 211: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post5465249

Old 01-15-2020, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
83 300D 617T(retired), 96 E300 606n/a(retired), 99 E300 606T(retired), 07 E320 BT, 14 E3504M
Mine has been doing this for years. No TIPS documents on the issue that I have seen.

PTSS recommendation back in the day was to replace IC.

Far cheaper to check boards/reflow solder etc etc

It doesn’t bother me anymore, ha. My coworker’s W211 does the same thing, just worse.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:41 PM

E280
Originally Posted by BagMan
Sometimes I see the my cruise control lights (you know, that segmented ring around the speedo that goes on with cruise control) flashing and then go out.

Can anyone tell me what that means?

Today I caught it flashing briefly and the cruise control wasn't even on.

I checked the manual and did a search but could not find the answer.

Car does not have distronic.
The same issue and still did not have any sollution,
Old 02-16-2020, 04:07 PM

2006 CLK 350 Cab
Originally Posted by bjwmercedes
My 2007 CLS550 does the same thing. Cruise works great. Sometimes the ring is steady and correct with the cruise on, sometimes it is flashing with the cruise on (which is annoying). There are intermittent flashes of the cruise control light ring when the cruise is not engaged; these are very quick and if I'm not looking at the dash when it happens I probably don't notice many of them. Sure wish someone could figure this out or at least report back if Mercedes was able to fix it.

Seems to occur across multiple models.
Some other members noted that the cluster is faulty and should be replaced. Finding a compatible unit is not very expensive on various online shopping sites. The replacement install is extremely easy too. But wait, there's more! If you replace the cluster and the mileage is not with a certain range (something like 1K miles) it will require reprogramming . . . that is where the cost shoots to the moon. It has been mentioned that the old computer chip can be removed and installed on the new cluster as it containes the data needed. My mechanic agrees that it is the cluster. So I will evaluate just how much it bothers me . . . See my comments on this thread as well as irondad, he did the reapir.

Last edited by jepaul; 02-16-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:29 AM

Mercedes E280 sports edition 2009 W211
Did the problem go away after switching the rear tyres ..???

Originally Posted by Muckman83
Any more info on this ? My CLK63 is doing the same thing
when even I activate curse control the ring will constantly flash
also my tires at the rear are worn, could this be the problem?
Hi,
would you be able to provide any update on this issue you had...??
I'm having same issue with my 2009 E280 w211,
Rear tyres are almost gone ..and just started having this issue of flashing ring and disappearing...
Wondering if changing the tyres got the issue fixed .???
Old 06-11-2020, 04:55 AM

Mercedes E280 sports edition 2009 W211
Originally Posted by Muckman83
Any more info on this ? My CLK63 is doing the same thing
when even I activate curse control the ring will constantly flash
also my tires at the rear are worn, could this be the problem?
Did the tyre change fix the issue,
I'm having same problem with my E class W211
Old 09-16-2023, 11:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
S350 2008
I have the same issue with W211 2007: cruise control dial is flashing occasionally even it not engaged. Do you know what I need to do with Instruments Cluster?
Old 12-11-2023, 07:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
S350 2008
Originally Posted by pgsurface
Mine has been doing this for years. No TIPS documents on the issue that I have seen.

PTSS recommendation back in the day was to replace IC.

Far cheaper to check boards/reflow solder etc etc

It doesn’t bother me anymore, ha. My coworker’s W211 does the same thing, just worse.

https://youtu.be/ETXTm2yN9n0
Can you detail what need to resolder?
Old 12-12-2023, 02:51 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Minh
Can you detail what need to resolder?
have you seen this post by member GADGET on 12/09/2020? No one replied

OK. Just had the same problem. Search lead me here.

Reading through this I saw another guy that had a similar condition to me. I had to jump start my 06 E55 to get it going. Just don't drive it as much as I should. After I got it going I put it on the battery charger overnight.

Yesterday I got the flashing cruise control arch.

After reading this thread I had an idea. I was thinking that some module did not properly reset after the undervolt condition, so I removed the negative battery terminal for an hour and reconnected it.

Just did a couple of drive cycles and all is as it should be. No flashing cruise control arch. So, someone else give the battery reset a try and see if it clears up the problem. Lets hope it is really that simple.

So try it and reply back here please!