Key not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
bmw
Key not working

Hi
I have a 2009 E350 and this week the key has started acting up.
The symptoms are always the same, the key will unlock the car but once I put it in the ignition the car won't recognize it. After that even if I take it out and try to lock/unlock it will be totally unresponsive.

At first I thought the batteries were going so I had them replaced by buying a new set at my local RS.

The problem is intermittent it comes and goes, every time it has happenned I've been able to open the key jiggle the batteries, blow on the contacts put it back together and got it to work.

Its scary though especially with the winter coming, the wife key doesn't seem to have this problem.

Anyone else experience this ? I'll call my dealer this week, is this something that the warranty will take care of ?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 E55(SOLD), 03 E500(SOLD)
If your wife's key works well then the problem is with your key. Warranty will cover key replacement.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by wildcard011
Hi
I have a 2009 E350 and this week the key has started acting up.
The symptoms are always the same, the key will unlock the car but once I put it in the ignition the car won't recognize it. After that even if I take it out and try to lock/unlock it will be totally unresponsive.

At first I thought the batteries were going so I had them replaced by buying a new set at my local RS.

The problem is intermittent it comes and goes, every time it has happenned I've been able to open the key jiggle the batteries, blow on the contacts put it back together and got it to work.

Its scary though especially with the winter coming, the wife key doesn't seem to have this problem.

Anyone else experience this ? I'll call my dealer this week, is this something that the warranty will take care of ?

Thanks
Your car is within the warranty, take it to the MB dealer, so they can check it out (or replace the key), do not delay (that's the warranty for). Good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
bmw
Dealership replaced the key.