E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Back from my Road Trip!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Back from my Road Trip!

I am back with the family from my road trip to Florida and am very glad we went. Worth every minute!

The trip from Toronto down to Fla. was in fact quite hazardous and also reality TV: in Canada, freezing rain, and the car 25 yards in front of us skidded out of control on the 403 and rolled over twice off to the side, right in front of us, and we all watched.

Later, in Georgia, I was in the right lane doing the legal 60 mph when 15m ahead, a truck just pulled out of a roadworks area right in front of me into my lane - I am still not sure exactly how I managed to avoid him and how the people next to me and behind me managed to avoid me... It was a matter of millimeters rather than inches... full on the brakes emergency stop. Excellent car as I can steer while screeching. And in Fla on the turnpike, the pickup right in front of me dropped three massive traffic pylons right into my path - another emergency stop... And again, I managed to miss them, by mere inches, by veering into the side of the road while braking. I have never in my life had to slam full on the brakes at highways speeds, but it has now happened several times on this trip. Mercedes safety is now something I believe in!

As is A/C: best airconditioning yet in warm weather. We were always supremely comfortable.

And finally... hey, I can do over 950 km's of cruising on just one tank full!

Michael
Old 04-25-2003, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Back from my Road Trip!

Originally posted by mwillems
I am back with the family from my road trip to Florida and am very glad we went. Worth every minute!

The trip from Toronto down to Fla. was in fact quite hazardous and also reality TV: in Canada, freezing rain, and the car 25 yards in front of us skidded out of control on the 403 and rolled over twice off to the side, right in front of us, and we all watched.

Later, in Georgia, I was in the right lane doing the legal 60 mph when 15m ahead, a truck just pulled out of a roadworks area right in front of me into my lane - I am still not sure exactly how I managed to avoid him and how the people next to me and behind me managed to avoid me... It was a matter of millimeters rather than inches... full on the brakes emergency stop. Excellent car as I can steer while screeching. And in Fla on the turnpike, the pickup right in front of me dropped three massive traffic pylons right into my path - another emergency stop... And again, I managed to miss them, by mere inches, by veering into the side of the road while braking. I have never in my life had to slam full on the brakes at highways speeds, but it has now happened several times on this trip. Mercedes safety is now something I believe in!

As is A/C: best airconditioning yet in warm weather. We were always supremely comfortable.

And finally... hey, I can do over 950 km's of cruising on just one tank full!

Michael

sounds like u had a great trip. congrats your car wasnt a lexus, you would be in deep **** right now
Old 04-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 E500
Ahh, the beauties of driving on Florida's highways. Gotta love it.

Old 04-26-2003, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I'm glad you enjoyed your road trip, and it's good to know that we are driving such safe (and beautiful) cars!!!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Glad to hear you are safely back from your road trip to Florida and that your MB stood up to its task!

Hope you did not pick-up any dreaded stone chips during this trip. Current MB paint jobs are notoriously prone to chips from road debris. It's the soft water base paints that is the culprit.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:39 AM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Originally posted by benggolf
Hope you did not pick-up any dreaded stone chips during this trip. Current MB paint jobs are notoriously prone to chips from road debris. It's the soft water base paints that is the culprit.
Mmm. Inevitably I did pick up a few little chips. Advice on fixing them, anyone?

I am not a painter but the dealerships I have used have always been hesitant to do this for some reason, even when the maint. schedule mentions it (as it does after a few years I think).

And yes, very safe car. As I screeched to a halt towards that truck, I braced myself and waited for the airbags... only the brakes helped me avoid the crunch, so it's all paid off.

Michael
Old 04-26-2003, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Current MB paint jobs are notoriously prone to chips from road debris. It's the soft water base paints that is the culprit
My detailer told me that paint practically falls off of ALL cars since environmental laws have dictated the use of these water-based paints (rather than the former oil-based paints). I just used touch-up paint I got from my dealer when I got my first little door ding. You get two tubes of paint--one the color, and one a clear coat. It looks OK but not perfect. You apply it a little like nail polish (it comes with a built-in applicator brush), so it's easy. I live at the beach, so I would never leave a chip exposed to the salt air for fear of encouraging rust. I touch up immediately. Good luck!

Last edited by rickyfanmdr; 04-26-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:18 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
I live at the beach...
Consider me jealous!

Michael