E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

can someone please school me on clear corner lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500
can someone please school me on clear corner lights?

Here is my car:

I am thinking I will greatly benefit from clear front markers....but how do I know which ones are the real Euro look?

Do I want the chrome bulb as well?

Also, how come some 211s don't have a light there at all???

Are THESE legit? should they have that bubbled frosty look or be completely clear? I want to stay as OEM as possible...i hate aftermarket looks...ESPECIALLY lights.

thanks!

Last edited by mike vee; 11-17-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
I think you should get the smoked ones since the wheels are gunmetal. I have them on my car with white LED bulbs and they match the foglights and headlights pretty well. Also being smoked, they won't show much water or condensation inside over time so they will stay looking fairly new.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
From what I understand there are only two OEM "looks"

- No light or reflector there at ALL...not even a cutout for it. This is the case for most of the rest of the world, including the European Union. You can check the cars on ebay that are for sale in Germany and the UK for example, and they will not have a front side marker light.

- An orange reflector on the front side in the bumper. This REQUIREMENT however is governed by state vehicle regulations. For example in California, it's stated clearly in VEHICLE CODE SECTION 25803.
"A vehicle shall also be equipped with an amber reflector on
the front near the left side and a red reflector on the rear near the
left side. The reflectors shall be mounted on the vehicle not lower
than 16 inches nor higher than 60 inches above the ground and so
designed and maintained as to be visible during darkness from all
distances within 500 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of
a motor vehicle displaying lawful lighted headlamps undimmed."

I don't think you'll be called out on it during an inspection. However it just adds more trouble during an accident situation, where a litigant may claim your car was not visible or "road worthy". Intentionally removing a visibility device related to safety like this, may also affect the ability of your insurer to cover you and the car.

I sometimes think that if it were the opposite situation - if Europe required these orange reflectors and the USA did not, we'd have people scrambling to add them in. Such is the eternal struggle to be "different".

Originally Posted by mike vee
Here is my car:

I am thinking I will greatly benefit from clear front markers....but how do I know which ones are the real Euro look?

Do I want the chrome bulb as well?

Also, how come some 211s don't have a light there at all???

Are THESE legit? should they have that bubbled frosty look or be completely clear? I want to stay as OEM as possible...i hate aftermarket looks...ESPECIALLY lights.

thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 PM

2005 E500
nikkatine thanks for the input but i do not prefer the smoked look, not for my car anyway. too aftermarket looking...i like to keep my car as OEM as possible when it comes to anything but wheels and lowering.

apl175 - thanks for the info.

so again, do those eBay ones look legit?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Yes the eBay ones work if you want clear corners. I had them before.

If you want no corners or the "the real Euro", see here https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...mb-dealer.html

Good luck getting them in the US though, try here instead http://www.mbenznl.nl/.

It's always cheaper to go aftermarket (clear corners) than the real thing (no corners).

BTW, we have annual inspections in TX to get a sticker, never once has anyone commented or noticed (dealer, inspection stations or cops when pulled over).
Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 PM

2005 E500
ah man thanks so much for that info. I am going to just get the euro ones. I also want the euro trunk part where the license plate goes with the wider opening. And call it balsy, but i am going to get California plates with my real number made somehow in the Euro shape lol, i have always wanted to do that.