E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

'07 E320 Bluetec Engine Air Filter Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2007 ML320CDI
'07 E320 Bluetec Engine Air Filter Change

I am looking for some guidance in changing the engine air filters on a 07 E320 Bluetec. I searched and read some of the threads in history, but nothing really specifically addressing the Bluetec. Is it fairly easy? I am new with the car and I do not believe they have been changed, car has 56K. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...tedDocId=11498
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Anyone have, or can point me to a DIY on the W211 ('08) Bluetec engine air filter, or tips on how to remove the filter housing? Other online manuals cover gas engines, but omit the diesel. Gas engine setup is completely different. Cheers.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by v12xke
Anyone have, or can point me to a DIY on the W211 ('08) Bluetec engine air filter, or tips on how to remove the filter housing? Other online manuals cover gas engines, but omit the diesel. Gas engine setup is completely different. Cheers.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures the last time I did this. There's a PDF of the procedure somewhere but here is what I remember:

Position the hood in the service position. Lift up the engine cover.

There are two airboxes that must be removed on either side of the engine. Both are secured by hexalobular bolts (male torx). I believe each side has two screws. Some of the screws may have metal sleeves that also come out.

The screw clamps that conduct air in to the manifold that leads to the turbo must also be loosened.

There is also an air sensor that needs to be disconnected from the top of the driver's side air box. I do not believe the passenger side one has any sensors.

The hardest part is that the clips for the forward braided air intake assembly must also be released. Feel around the joint with your fingers and you'll be able to lift up each catch from the edge of the intake assembly. I find that it's not necessary to remove it totally.

Once the screws are out, tilt each airbox away from the engine slightly, and pull straight up. The assembly sits in rubber grommets so there is some friction fit.

Once both air boxes are out, a few torx screws secure the two halves together. Clean the inside of each air box before installing the new air filter. MB specifies a specific Wuerth cleaner, but I used diluted Simple Green.

Ensure that the seals around each filter are not caught when reassembling. In particular, if you are using regular OEM filters, ensure that the plastic reinforcements built in to the filter area are in the same position as the old. Aftermarket filters may not have these plastic bits.

Reinstall in reverse order. The hardest part is getting everything aligned again - particularly the bottom studs and the rubber grommets they sit in. Don't forget to reconnect the air sensor.

Lastly, connect Star Diagnosis, run DAS, navigate to Control Units -> CDI -> Control Unit Adaptations -> Reset Air Filter learned values after filter replacement -> Confirm with F2.
If you're really in to details you may also wish to acknowledge the air filter change in the Additional Work sub-menu of the service system - Additional Service Item #2. This is done by entering the service menu in the instrument cluster (search around for details on how to do this).

The necessity of the last steps is probably going to cause some debate.

Last edited by apl175; 02-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
get a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. Its a cheap yearly subscription.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by apl175
Lastly, connect Star Diagnosis, run DAS, navigate to Control Units -> CDI -> Control Unit Adaptations -> Reset Air Filter learned values after filter replacement -> Confirm with F2.
If you're really in to details you may also wish to acknowledge the air filter change in the Additional Work sub-menu of the service system - Additional Service Item #2. This is done by entering the service menu in the instrument cluster (search around for details on how to do this).
So do we understand what this does? This makes me think there's no way for me to do this change at all.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I would say that you can change it yourself. The CDI control unit does eventually "learn" the new values. The adaptation coding in DAS probably makes it learn-in the new values quicker.

Originally Posted by echo512
So do we understand what this does? This makes me think there's no way for me to do this change at all.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Air Filter change for 2007 2009 MB E320 Bluetec

there is a video now on you tube for this air filter change.