E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Alloy Wheel Straightening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Iridium Silver E350 4matic (P2, Pano)
Alloy Wheel Straightening

All:

I have had my car in for an end of warranty inspection and the SA has informed me that two of my wheels are bent. This does not surprise me as I have noticed a slight vibration at higher speeds in the car, and I know that this has been a problem for this car for a long time (I have the 18" sport wheels).

However, my SA suggested that the wheels be "straightened" rather than replaced. He indicated that they have a vendor who they trust to do this. My question is, has anyone else ever done this? If so, were you happy with the results, or do you just wish you had bought a new wheel?

They are quoting $150 per wheel, which is about right compared to what other shop who provide this service charge, plus MB will let me keep my loaner for another day or two while this is done.

Just curious as to anyone's experience. I plan to have them do it, and if I am not happy, I will just replace the wheels, but I figure it's worth a shot.

- Bill -
Old 12-03-2010, 04:51 PM

2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
I had two wheels "fixed" and the wheels where true.
After a year I went to a car wash and they sprayed the wheels with a very high power
cleaner and it took the clear off the wheels that had been redone, so they did not look as good as the other two but no other problems.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
I have had several (three or four) wheels refurbished by Wheels America and they do a very good job. Did nit have any of the flaking issues described above. Only issue I had was the lost the tire presuure sensor one one wheel but they reimbursed me for it.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 AM

2008 Iridium Silver E350 4matic (P2, Pano)
I went ahead and went with it. Wheels weren't bent as bad as thought, so they only charged me $100 per wheel. No cosmetic problems so far and any previous vibrations seem to be gone.

I am happy I tried it, let's hope no after effects like the flaking you described.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 AM

2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
Originally Posted by Bill RHIT
I went ahead and went with it. Wheels weren't bent as bad as thought, so they only charged me $100 per wheel. No cosmetic problems so far and any previous vibrations seem to be gone.

I am happy I tried it, let's hope no after effects like the flaking you described.
I think you will be Ok the cleaner that was used was to clean steel wheels, they just got the wrong bottle.