Pano Sunroof Rattling - CPO Warranty Coverage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Pano Sunroof Rattling - CPO Warranty Coverage

I hear a rattling noise from my pano sunroof but only if the sunroof is completely closed. If I tilt or open the sunroof -- even by half an inch -- the rattling goes away completely. It's really annoying because when the sunroof is completely closed, the rattling is constant even if the car moves ever so little. What could be causing this?

I also noticed that the sunroof opens completely automatically if I pull the button towards me but I need to keep pressing it away from me for the mechanism to close and that's a bit annoying. Is this by design? I'd like it to fully close automatically.

Are rattling noises/pano sunroof issues and noises generally covered by the CPO warranty? I sure hope so! I bought my 2007 E550 4Matic last night with the CPO warranty and the MB ELW extended until 7 years/100K miles. After they kept me waiting for over 6 hours to prepare the car, they finally presented it to me at 9:30 PM and because of this I didn't have time to really test drive the car and I noticed the rattling noise right away after I turned off the audio on the drive back. The dealer is in NY and I'm in MD so taking the car to the dealer is not a good option but I am REALLY hoping with the CPO warranty that the local MD dealer will fix this issue.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
*bump*
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Rattle unlikely covered by CPO. Factory 4/50 will cover. Prob just needs to be cleaned and lubed....
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by MB211
Rattle unlikely covered by CPO. Factory 4/50 will cover. Prob just needs to be cleaned and lubed....
Thanks for the heads-up! I hope the NY MB dealer I bought the car from will step up to the plate and have this issue fixed at the local dealer one way or the other. They kept me waiting from noon to 9 PM to deliver the car and next time I am never driving a car off the lot without a test drive no matter how late it gets. If they refuse t fix it I guess I can make the claim that the MB certification should have detected and fixed the rattling issue as I think checking for rattling noises is part of the check list.

Anyway I hope they do the right thing and fix this. It's not reassuring to hear rattling issues are not covered by the CPO warranty.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
If the repair is just lubrication, your SA may take care of for you. Only a 15min job.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
More and more we're hearing about CPO cars delivered to the customer with unfixed/detected problems.
So much for the CPO process that they charge you a premium for.

First you state 6hrs and then 2 posts up, 9 hrs. Whichever it was, that's just downright unforgiveable. Especially knowing that you were coming all the way up from Md (U of M my Alma Mater BTW)

May we ask what mb dealer this was ??

I agree with the above that it's probably just a lube and most definitely covered by the factory warranty.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by starbrite
More and more we're hearing about CPO cars delivered to the customer with unfixed/detected problems.
So much for the CPO process that they charge you a premium for.

First you state 6hrs and then 2 posts up, 9 hrs. Whichever it was, that's just downright unforgiveable. Especially knowing that you were coming all the way up from Md (U of M my Alma Mater BTW)

May we ask what mb dealer this was ??

I agree with the above that it's probably just a lube and most definitely covered by the factory warranty.
Thanks for your empathy... I arrived in New York at 11:45 AM and I planned to be back home by 5:00 PM. Every hour since 3:00 PM the car was just around the corner or getting detailed or gas is being put in it or whatever and I finally saw the car around 7 or 8 only to see some exterior blemishes during the inspection and they promised it will be sent back for detailing and everything will be fixed right away. I didn't see the car again until around 9:30 PM so I was at the dealership for at lest 9 hours and completely exhausted!

I took some comfort in having the CPO warranty and assumed any issues will be fixed under warranty so I did not even both to do a test drive as I was so completely exhausted and wanted to get started on the 4 hour drive back.

The sunroof rattle should have been identified and fixed before delivering a car to a customer living 4 hours away as a CPO vehicle. This experience has made me weary about ever purchasing a vehicle again from a non-local dealer.

I am willing to forgive and forget them not catching this, and making me wait for 9+ hours, but if the rattle turns out to be due to something serious and they balk at fixing it, I am going to be one seriously unhappy customer and will see to it that they fix this one way or the other.

Let me hold off on disclosing the dealer for now and give them the chance to work with my local Mercedes dealer and fix this.

You are right though, Mercedes really needs to provide their customers of CPO vehicles a lot better experience and peace of mind when purchasing these vehicles. I saw similar non CPO cars being sold for about $6-8K less and they were in great condition. I am willing to pay more but I think MB and dealers needs to deliver a functioning product without defects.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
At last... silence! The sunroof rattling is completely fixed.

I bought my 2007 CPO E550 at a MB dealer in NY so I had to take the car car into my local MB dealership, Euro Motorcars in Bethesda, to resolve an issue with the sunroof rattling. I am so impressed with their work. They had a tech, Tim, drive the car with me and he really knew the car. He listened patiently to the sound over various road surfaces while I described the sound to him and assured me that he would fix it. They then worked on the car for almost an entire day making various adjustments and keeping me informed of the progress. I was then told they would like another half day the following day to make some additional adjustments because the tech wanted to be absolutely sure he has done everything. so I picked up the car the next day and everything is perfect. No rattles anywhere. Best of all, they said though it was not really covered by the CPO warranty that there would be no charge for me for the work. Bill Gross was my service advisor and he's a great guy to work with if you are in the Washington DC area.

After reading about $6,500 pano roof horror stories I'm glad for the happy ending Hopefully the rattles will nor return but it seems they know exactly what to do to fix this issue. For the benefit of anyone having this issue, on the service order they mention about adjusting and lubricating all sunroof seals.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Always great to great positive stories about dealers and good SA's