E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Continental Extremem Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Iridium Silver E350 4matic (P2, Pano)
Continental Extremem Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot A/S Plus

Ok, I have read hundreds of thread, including on this forum and others. I have narrowed my search down to these two tires. I know I will likely be happy with either tire, but I am torn as to which is better.

I have always had good luck with Michelins, but review on tirerack.com and from most I have read suggest that the Continental Extreme Contact DWS is a great time, possibly better than the Michelin, and at the much lower price, I would hate to pass on it just out of brand loyalty.

So, my question is does anyone have any long term experience with both they would like to share? Or has anyone made a similar decision lately?

I have a 2008 E350 4 Matic Sport Package with the 18".

My position so far on each is as follows:

Contis:
Softer comfortable ride
Excellent wet/snow traction
Lower cost
Loss of steering sharpness due to soft sidewall
Not as attractive of a tire / doesn't hold tire shine well
Newer tire - so long term results not as proven

Michelins:
Trusted reputation
Proven long term wear
Low noise
Great sport performance
Decreased fuel economy
Increased cost

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
im having this debate right now and would love to hear input
Old 12-04-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
It's just a set of tires. You're gonna be replacing them in a few years regardless of which you buy. Try the Contis and see what happens. You may love 'em. You may hate 'em. But at least you'll know.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
You will not find a better all-season tire than the DWS. You *might* be able to find its equal, but it will cost far more. The DWS has excellent wet and snow traction, as well as very good dry performance. No, it's not a track tire, but you're not looking for a track tire.

OP, look in your post, and you will see that you show the DWS as having the qualities required of a good all-season tire, but you mention no all-season qualities in the Michelin's list. That should tell you that you already know the answer. Don't rely on me to tell you to buy the tire you already know meets your needs, just do it!

Get the DWS and use the hundreds of dollars saved on something more tangible than the name "Michelin".

I'm about to get a another set for my rears. I thought they would be OK for one more winter, but no. I got one year and 15K+ miles out of the rears. The fronts have the same on them and are still good for another year (I think). Looks like I'll be going through 4 rears and 2 fronts every two years at 15K per year. Not that great compared to a Camry, but at least I'm not eating tires like a C63

Also, I'm running gobs more power through my DWS than you will, so your tires will wear far better. Unless you drive like a complete asshat...

Last edited by i_am_amused; 12-04-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
I used Michelin Pilot Plus A/S on my E55 and now my E550. I think they are a great tire and really enjoy the combination of performance, handling and all season traction. I know the DWS is rated a better tire but I'm not a Conti fan so my decision was easy.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I just got the Continental DWS for my S55, and they are great! Quiet, and the traction is good as well. Snowing is coming soon so I will see how they faire, but so far I like them.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Originally Posted by LOVEMYBS
I used Michelin Pilot Plus A/S on my E55 and now my E550. I think they are a great tire and really enjoy the combination of performance, handling and all season traction. I know the DWS is rated a better tire but I'm not a Conti fan so my decision was easy.
I agree. I have the Michelins on my E63. For the rainy northwest, this was the best option for versatility. I can't speak for the Contis, as I favor Michelins.

Smooth, quiet, excellent grip.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
17 E300, 17 C300, 14 C250
While not the exact same tire, my OEM Continental Pro Contacts on my '09 E350 Sport Package got very noisy around 25,000 miles. Maybe would of helped if I rotated them but since the 2WD tires are different sizes front to rear, they can't be rotated. I got 30,000 on the rears and 40,000 on the fronts. For replacements I went with the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus at Costco and am happy so far but it's early.

Last edited by loudbmw; 12-06-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I ended up getting the Michelin Pilot A/S ones. I have no complaints so far.

Aaron
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM

'07 E350W4
Originally Posted by Bill RHIT
Ok, I have read hundreds of thread, including on this forum and others. I have narrowed my search down to these two tires. I know I will likely be happy with either tire, but I am torn as to which is better.

I have always had good luck with Michelins, but review on tirerack.com and from most I have read suggest that the Continental Extreme Contact DWS is a great time, possibly better than the Michelin, and at the much lower price, I would hate to pass on it just out of brand loyalty.

So, my question is does anyone have any long term experience with both they would like to share? Or has anyone made a similar decision lately?

I have a 2008 E350 4 Matic Sport Package with the 18".

My position so far on each is as follows:

Contis:
Softer comfortable ride
Excellent wet/snow traction
Lower cost
Loss of steering sharpness due to soft sidewall
Not as attractive of a tire / doesn't hold tire shine well
Newer tire - so long term results not as proven

Michelins:
Trusted reputation
Proven long term wear
Low noise
Great sport performance
Decreased fuel economy
Increased cost

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
I debated the exact same tires for my Volvo wagon in 17". Since the Conti's were $250 less a set and despite being a big fan of the Michelin.
About 18K miles later, they have performed VERY well, especially in rain and snow. The only negative is noise at highway speed.
$250 was a big difference and I have no regrets. If the money isn't an issue, you can't go wrong with the A/S sport.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Michelins are a premium tire and are priced accordingly. Contis and Asian tires (GASP) like Kumho or Yokos will provide 60-90% of the performance for less money.

To your question the DWS has gotten good reviews but is a newer tire so you don't have a lot of people with 30k-50k miles on them giving feedback. How a tire behaves with half-treadlife or less is really important.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 AM

2008 Iridium Silver E350 4matic (P2, Pano)
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

After gathering the reviews I figured I would stick with my gut and get the brand I trust. After all, $200 is not worth even the chance of second guessing my decision should the Conti's not wear well down the road. With low profile tires and the sport suspension, "roundness" is a premium as I hate any vibration.

Had them installed and road force balanced this morning and the car drives like a dream now, and should only get better. A night and day difference over the Pirelli P6's that were on the car when I bought it.

Good luck to all others trying to make this same decision.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
One man's experience: When new, there probably isn't much of a difference between the Michelins and the Contis. But as the Contis wear, they start making more and more road noise. I had a set of Pirellis that did the same thing years ago on a '92 Infinit Q45. So, it's fair to say that my two happiest days with Contis on our MB were the day I had them put on and the day I replaced them with Michelin A/S tires.

If you're asking: I say go with the Michelins. It's your call.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:28 PM

2012 MB R350, 2016 BMW 535GT
I have the Contis now and had the Michelins on two previous E's. I prefer the Michelins and will go back when replacing the current tires. More balanced ride overall, less noise and better fit with MB suspension tuning, IMO.