E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

w221 E220 cdi -05. Battery protection: Convenience functions temporarlly unavailable.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220CDI
w221 E220 cdi -05. Battery protection: Convenience functions temporarlly unavailable.

Hi!

I own a 220cdi -05. bought 6 months ago and havenīt had any problems with it untill nu.

it all started a week ago when I started car after have been abroad for 2 months. the battery was week but the car did start. I drow it 5minutes to the shop to change to the winter tyres. start/stop the car severall times without any trouble. then drowe 1.5mile back home and didnīt use the car for 2 days. at thoose two days the temprature outside was -20C.

the third day I was gonna drive to work but the car didnīt start, none response. and I got the message "Battery protection: Convenience functions temporarlly unavailable" at the display.

I guessed that Iīd killed the battery by doing short start an stop and not letting the battery charge after not been used för 2months so I changed the main battery and checked the aux battery with a multimeter and it was in good shape but I still get a respons from the engine, stone dead. jump start attached to another car or battery dosent help either. itīs like the car has lock it self. everything is working, cd, heat, clima, light, display. the car gets electricity but when i turn the key nothing happens even when I jump start

what should I do? Iīve heard that hooking up to the engine and reset the main settings could solve the problem, any ideas?

Help me guys!

Sorry for my poor english grammar
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
Mine did the same thing 3 days ago, turn our to be a loose ground cable at the main/trunk battery.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220CDI
but did you have any electricity in your car when the ground cable loosened or did everything go dark before you found the culprit? beacuse I have all the electricity needed in the car everything wors fine except when I try to start just like if the starter were dead.....
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Bignorth
but did you have any electricity in your car when the ground cable loosened or did everything go dark before you found the culprit? beacuse I have all the electricity needed in the car everything wors fine except when I try to start just like if the starter were dead.....

It happen on my way to the mall, everything worked exept some interior lights, I parked and when I came back to the car there was no power at all then I found that loose cable.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a weak/ dead battery to me. Have the battery load tested or with a Midtronics tester.