E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

07 E550 Heat Smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MB E550 4Matic
07 E550 Heat Smell

Hi All. I picked up my 07 E550 4Matic in Florida a couple of weeks ago and when I have been turning on the heat, the car smells as if an old eletrical heater is first turned on at a house. Its a very heavy smell and doesnt go away. When the heat is off, there is no smell. I searched the threads and people are saying go to a an MB dealer and they will do a system flush because there is mold in the unit. Does anyone know how much that costs? Also, can I probably do it myself? I have not the least clue where all the various filters are in the car and how to access them. This is my first german car. Quite a different animal from a Toyota where anyone can figure out how to open and find things.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM

e350
Two things that might be wrong with your car:

1) The sound insolating mat under the heaterbox on some E-classes have a similar smell.

2) the contrasept cleaning its only for mildew (dirty sock order) smell not burning smell.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by ah3823
Hi All. I picked up my 07 E550 4Matic in Florida a couple of weeks ago and when I have been turning on the heat, the car smells as if an old eletrical heater is first turned on at a house. Its a very heavy smell and doesnt go away. When the heat is off, there is no smell. I searched the threads and people are saying go to a an MB dealer and they will do a system flush because there is mold in the unit. Does anyone know how much that costs? Also, can I probably do it myself? I have not the least clue where all the various filters are in the car and how to access them. This is my first german car. Quite a different animal from a Toyota where anyone can figure out how to open and find things.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Check your cabin air filter. It's the large box located on the passenger side near the fire wall. If your filter is dirty it will give-off a bad smell as it draws and filters outside air into the interior.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 PM

2007 MB E550 4Matic
Ok, I will check all filters as soon as I get a chance. Thanks much.