Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Prm
Got the Rest button on my E class in the UK, its an 07 Sport
Could we buy a UK "Rest Button" to put in our cars?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Prm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E280cdi Sport
I'm sure you could my friend, we can't afford to buy much over here anymore with petrol at Ł6 a gallon. It must be great paying pennies for gas, ha.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the bigger question is can the REST function be implemented in USA market cars without REST simply by swapping consoles and possibly a bit of version coding? Or are there additional electrical coolant pumps and such that must be added?

The standard climate control in USA cars from MY07- differs from the Canadian vehicles sold across the border:

- Inclusion of REST function instead of "MAX A/C" button
- The center speaker vents are actually present
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
My 08 E350 with sport package has the rest mode. I did not know that it had it until today when I was sitting in my garage and heard what seemed like a fan running from the top of the hood where the windshield washers are and I looked in my car without opening the door and the word "rest" was illuminated on the climate control display.

When I opened the door, it shut off. The key was not in the ignition and the car was not locked.

The car had been parked in my garage for at least 30 minutes when I first heard it running. I dont have a "rest" button, so it must be an automatic feature.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E320 CDI, '04 Sprinter 316 CDI
Originally Posted by johnlk25
My 08 E350 with sport package has the rest mode. I did not know that it had it until today when I was sitting in my garage and heard what seemed like a fan running from the top of the hood where the windshield washers are and I looked in my car without opening the door and the word "rest" was illuminated on the climate control display.

When I opened the door, it shut off. The key was not in the ignition and the car was not locked.

The car had been parked in my garage for at least 30 minutes when I first heard it running. I dont have a "rest" button, so it must be an automatic feature.
Is yours diesel? I thought it was only on diesels vehicles!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by kkanuck
Is yours diesel? I thought it was only on diesels vehicles!
No, its not a diesel.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D

Ah the thread is resurrected. Can someone else confirm this? I though some people claimed emphatically that this feature was completely deconted after MY 07 or so and that the only way to turn this feature on is by a button. I wish I knew how to get this to turn on because I could have really used it yesterday when I was waiting to pick up a friend at the airport and the flight got delayed by about an hour.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Maybe there is a confusion what one means by the REST function perhaps?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Ah the thread is resurrected. Can someone else confirm this? I though some people claimed emphatically that this feature was completely deconted after MY 07 or so and that the only way to turn this feature on is by a button. I wish I knew how to get this to turn on because I could have really used it yesterday when I was waiting to pick up a friend at the airport and the flight got delayed by about an hour.
Sorry, didnt me to open a can of worms.....lol.......but I do know that I do have the "rest" feature and I dont have the "rest" button and I have an 08 E350 with Sport Package and P1 package. I hear some people say that it was discontinued after MY07, but that is obviously not true. Maybe the "rest" button was discontinued, but the option is still there.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

Question would be how to turn it on when one wants it rather than always on as soon as the car gets turned off if there is no button.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Question would be how to turn it on when one wants it rather than always on as soon as the car gets turned off if there is no button.
Exactly.

Something sounds fishy to me.....
Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

And what does Judge Judy taught us? If something doesn't sound right, it's a lie

Just kidding, something is really not right I think!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Ok, here is the picture to prove it for all the nonbelievers out there

While it is in rest mode, you can feel warm air coming out of the vents and it keeps the inside of the car nice and toasty warm for 30 minutes after you shut it off.
Attached Thumbnails Climate Control REST option for residual heat-photo2.jpg  
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

While it is in rest mode, you can feel warm air coming out of the vents and it keeps the inside of the car nice and toasty warm for 30 minutes after you shut it off.
Nobody ever said you are lieing. But question is: Does it always run 30 minutes max. after you have shut off the car or only sometimes? If sometimes, we would need to know the conditions inside/outside when it comes on.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:24 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Nobody ever said you are lieing. But question is: Does it always run 30 minutes max. after you have shut off the car or only sometimes? If sometimes, we would need to know the conditions inside/outside when it comes on.

Oh, I know you dont think I'm lying and honestly, I dont believe half of what I hear unless I see proof. I just wanted to show proof that I do have it and I dont have a button that I have to push to make it come on.

It actually was quite warm here today in Atlanta.....70 degrees. I went out to get something to eat, came back home and parked in the garage. After the car was sitting for about 10 minutes, it came on and it ran for 30 minutes.

The key was not in the ignition and the car was not locked.....in fact, I left the drivers side window down so that I could lean in to take a picture of it because when you open the door, the rest mode shuts off.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I believe this is different functionality. Traditionally, the "Rest" mode with the button, has been used to provide heat in the winter for 15-30 minutes after the engine is switched off. This is probably why it is present in Canadian market vehicles.

The function you are talking about sounds like an after-blow function that activates in warmer weather to dry out the evaporator core and prevent mildew like smells. It may be that the system engaged the same functionality as though a rest button were present, and illuminates the word "REST" in the display. My previous Volvo V70 had such functionality for this reason.

I"m curious to know when this logic was added, and if it can be activated via SDS. I'm pretty sure I've never noticed it before in my '07 E320 BT.

BTW - how's this for weekend weather in Atlanta?! Took a drive through Druid Hills and Virginia Highlands - what a great day!

Oh, I know you dont think I'm lying and honestly, I dont believe half of what I hear unless I see proof. I just wanted to show proof that I do have it and I dont have a button that I have to push to make it come on.

It actually was quite warm here today in Atlanta.....70 degrees. I went out to get something to eat, came back home and parked in the garage. After the car was sitting for about 10 minutes, it came on and it ran for 30 minutes.

The key was not in the ignition and the car was not locked.....in fact, I left the drivers side window down so that I could lean in to take a picture of it because when you open the door, the rest mode shuts off.
The following users liked this post:
benzslo (09-03-2019)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

I looked up the changes made between 2006 and 2009! There were a ton of changes including hacv!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but I did not turn the air conditioning on at all today in the car.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by apl175
I believe this is different functionality. Traditionally, the "Rest" mode with the button, has been used to provide heat in the winter for 15-30 minutes after the engine is switched off. This is probably why it is present in Canadian market vehicles.

The function you are talking about sounds like an after-blow function that activates in warmer weather to dry out the evaporator core and prevent mildew like smells. It may be that the system engaged the same functionality as though a rest button were present, and illuminates the word "REST" in the display. My previous Volvo V70 had such functionality for this reason.

I"m curious to know when this logic was added, and if it can be activated via SDS. I'm pretty sure I've never noticed it before in my '07 E320 BT.

BTW - how's this for weekend weather in Atlanta?! Took a drive through Druid Hills and Virginia Highlands - what a great day!
There is no 15 - 30 min. It blows hot air in for max 30 min or until the engine gets started again.

I can check if it's an option in SDS though.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D

I want that!!!

How did you get that to come on?

Did you close the door with one or both hands?
Did you have one foot in the air when you closed the door?
Did you say anything nice to the car and tell the car what a good car it is?

Apparently your car likes you and wants to keep you warm ...unlike the rest of our 2007+ cars

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 03-12-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Push the button man
Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005

Your photo did not show the round buttons, do you have "Max cool" at the button on the right or "REST"? The first one should be for US cars while Euro cars should have the latter.

Have you tried if your "Max cool" button works, I was just wondering if your HVAC was coded for Euro settings.

Originally Posted by apl175

I would have guessed this same but the after-blow on current models gets activated only if AC has been used and after some specific time after engine switch off (was it 30 or 60 minutes). The point is the evaporator needs to warm up first before the after-blow makes sense to dry up the heater core. Now I understood that this car had the blower on just after ignition switch off.

I did not find any function description for US cars that would explain this REST feature and the display text on a US car.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 AM

2016 E400 4Matic
[quote=Diesel Benz;4567353]Your photo did not show the round buttons, do you have "Max cool" at the button on the right or "REST"? The first one should be for US cars while Euro cars should have the latter.

Have you tried if your "Max cool" button works, I was just wondering if your HVAC was coded for Euro settings.

No, I do not have a "rest" button......its all automatic.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
My understanding is that this feature was made an automatic feature because too many US customers were dinging the reliability on the cars because they were hitting the "rest" button when they were driving and it was NOT working! Obviously because it only works when the key is out of the ignition.

My 2004 has it and I use it all the time. I think the Mercedes made this feature automatic so that they would simplify the car. Tons of things have been discontinued on the E after 2004!

1) Downwards lights under the side mirrors.
2) The knob/turn wheel to get cold air out of the middle vents when you have the heat on.
3) The "rest" button.
4) Auto tilting passenger mirror when in reverse.
5) Auto-tilting steering wheel/move seat backwards when entering and exiting the car (easy entry feature).
6) SBC
7) Vents/lovers that close the airflow to the radiators when it is cold out behind the grill.
8) The FSS service is now set to a fixed 10K mile interval.

And I am sure I am forgetting a few other things….

Steve
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

4 and 5 can always be enabled via SDS in Developer again.

I have about 10 pdfs full of changes of the E-Class ever since. You are right a ton of stuff has been changed. Not always to have a better car IMHO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Climate Control REST option for residual heat