E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Best Brakes for the E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 mb e350
Best Brakes for the E350

hey everyone i have a 2007 e350 RWD sport which are the best brakes? and if you could please direct me to which are meant for my car thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
17 E300, 17 C300, 14 C250
I have had good luck with Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads on my C320 and BMW 530i. I don't need them yet on my E350. Best part - no brake dust!

Lou
Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
+1, I replaced my OEM pads with Akebono and I'm really pleased with the results. No dust, no noise, great stopping and reasonably priced. Google Akebono and look for the best price.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Akebono ceramics without a doubt; no dust. It takes a few miles of use before the brakes bed in and dust minimizes; that's my personal experience. Braking appaears to be even better than OEM though my goal was to minimize dust.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM

2007 mb e350
did you guys buy the Akebono with the shims?? or without?? thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2011, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by drzcrazychulo4u
did you guys buy the Akebono with the shims?? or without?? thanks in advance
I ordered them from Tirerack in 12/09, these did not come with shims.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:57 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
No shims, I also painted my calipers at the same time as they tend to show wear and rust.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM

2007 e550
My stock pads stopped better than the Porterfields I replaced them with but I will never go back to the stock pads due to the brake dust.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4matic
When I mentioned to my local Mercedes tech that I had replaced the pads in my wife's R500 with ceramics (to reduce dust) he looked at me like I had taken a shot at the Pope. He told me that he absolutely DOES NOT recommend the installation of any pads outside of the OE. His rationalization was that, yes, the semi-metallic OE pads do produce quite a bit of brake dust but that they provide the best stopping power and, more importantly, they were extremely soft (compared to any ceramic pads) in order to protect the rotors.

I'm still trying to process his comments, so that I can make my own assessment but I do know a couple of things:
1) From my personal experience, I think that the ceramic pads stop just as well, if not better than the OE pads. This is in agreement with the comments of many forum users, as well as those of industry pundits that I've read on line, which leads me to believe that the ceramics are a good option.

2) I have no experience with examining the degree of rotor damage done by ceramics versus that of the very soft and dusty, OE pads. This is the big unknown to me.

Is there anyone out there who can offer some insight?
...have you seen more rapid rotor wear caused by ceramics?

Obviously this would cause future brake maintenance to be exponentially expensive, so I'd like to avoid that eventuality if at all possible.

Last edited by jcjr; 01-20-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 AM

2006 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by jcjr
I'm still trying to process his comments, so that I can make my own assessment but I do know a couple of things:
1) From my personal experience, I think that the ceramic pads stop just as well, if not better than the OE pads. This is in agreement with the comments of many forum users, as well as those of industry pundits that I've read on line, which leads me to believe that the ceramics are a good option.
I have to admit that I know little about brake pad materials. However, looking at the Tirerack website (I assume pretty reputable) - these ceramic pads are rated at: 5/5 for noise, 5/5 for dust, but 2/5 for stopping power. If you look at the rating of other brake pads on the website, you can almost reach the conclusion that low dust ~ low stopping power, high stopping power ~ high dust.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM

E320CDI
Originally Posted by anewbie
I have to admit that I know little about brake pad materials. However, looking at the Tirerack website (I assume pretty reputable) - these ceramic pads are rated at: 5/5 for noise, 5/5 for dust, but 2/5 for stopping power. If you look at the rating of other brake pads on the website, you can almost reach the conclusion that low dust ~ low stopping power, high stopping power ~ high dust.
Same logic goes for tires, less wear less traction.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by jcjr
Is there anyone out there who can offer some insight?
...have you seen more rapid rotor wear caused by ceramics?

Obviously this would cause future brake maintenance to be exponentially expensive, so I'd like to avoid that eventuality if at all possible.
My insight would be that Mercedes is pretty much the #1 car company in the world and it has a reputation for safety innovation that's unequaled.

To somehow believe the hype from a small aftermarket firm that they can do better seems questionable. If these pads were the best, Mercedes would likely be fitting them.

In addition, let's all give humanity some credit by remembering that the ultimate achievements are associated with advanced education. Some "survey" at somebody's website is meaningless in the face of actual engineering testing, and the place where the best engineers are is not doing website surveys and is not working at small, aftermarket "marketing" companies.

Don't worry about rotor wear--in the 21st century it's one set of rotors per one set of pads anyway.

Last edited by lkchris; 01-20-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Stick'n with the OEM pads .. car gets detailed once a week and no one has yet to tell me their aftermarket pads have better stopping power than the OEM pads .. STOPPING POWER people .. thats why we have brakes .. amazing some of you will sacrifice stopping power for less dust.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 PM

2009 E350 Sport
OEM design is to consume the rotor at a higher rate than older specs and the OEM pads are high dust by spec. The good people at MB want you to have a great braking system that needs more frequent changes (and washes)

The stopping power of the e-class is almost too good (have to think about who is behind you at times)

If you want to try another set of pads, I'd look at the Pagid Reds (Pagid is an OEM to BMW) - less dust but not that different from OEMs. Also replacing brake pads is one of the easier DIYs out there if you want to try.

Last edited by werewolf34; 01-20-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM

2007 e550
Originally Posted by Vik888
Stick'n with the OEM pads .. car gets detailed once a week and no one has yet to tell me their aftermarket pads have better stopping power than the OEM pads .. STOPPING POWER people .. thats why we have brakes .. amazing some of you will sacrifice stopping power for less dust.

My E550 has more than enough brakes to stop safely so to loose alittle for ALOT less brake dust...I think thats a fair trade off.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 PM

2006 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by werewolf34
... The good people at MB want you to have a great braking system that needs more frequent changes ....
This, I believe! It's a business. They don't want to make the car too low maintenance - parts and services have high profit margins. And there is enough brand loyalty for people to stick to OEM. After market parts, on the other hand, is much more competitive, and the makers need to earn the trust of consumers. The trusts don't come from low price, they come from value, which is quality and price combine. Based on this, I have no trouble believing good reputable after market parts can be functionally equivalent to OEM, AND last longer.

Everybody is entitle to his/her own opinions
Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 AM

E350 Sedan Sport
I would think that it really comes down to those once in a while emergency stops. On everyday stops I dont believe anyone can even tell if they can stop quicker or not with the different pads.

However, let's say your doing 50MPH and have to hit the brakes (full on) in a hurry (and for the sake of argument lets assume you can stop quicker with the softer OEM pads) even if it's just 5 or 10 feet!.... do you want that extra safety margin?....... I do
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 AM

2006 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by Still_Waters_43
However, let's say your doing 50MPH and have to hit the brakes (full on) in a hurry (and for the sake of argument lets assume you can stop quicker with the softer OEM pads) even if it's just 5 or 10 feet!.... do you want that extra safety margin?....... I do
See! That's the brand loyalty I am talking about ... why automatically assume the OEM pads stop quicker, not the other way around? I rest my case.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 PM

E350 Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by anewbie
See! That's the brand loyalty I am talking about ... why automatically assume the OEM pads stop quicker, not the other way around? I rest my case.
No automatic assumption in play here, just facts. The OEM pads are softer than the ceramics, softer means stickyer (just like tires) which means better grip, and hence shorter stopping distance .
Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 PM

2006 E350
Ceramics arent any harsher on rotors than semi-metallics IMHO. Or maybe its just that different companies have vastly different braking hydraulics. I have an Impala and replaced the front rotors and ceramic pads at around 80k, rotors were barely worn except for a shredded pad which grooved one rotor, so both were replaced along with regular ceramic pads. 120k miles later, the rotors are barely worn, but I did replace the pads as they were getting low. These cars tend to suffer from warped rotors, but excessive rotor wear is never a problem.

My parents 06 E350 is due for brakes at about 50k miles. The front rotors are HEAVILY worn, the wear surface is a good 1+ mm under the original surface, and they feel very thin. My mom drives this car, mostly city, but still, the rotors shouldnt be this bad so early. So original semi-metallics - heavy wear, and tons and tons of dust.

I also have a 2003 BMW 540i and I recently did a brake job on it at 44k miles. All rotors were also worn and replaced, but the wear wasnt terrible. Still, decided to go ahead and do everything and not have to worry about it for another 40-50k. Again, semi-metallics - heavy wear, and plenty of dust.

On the BMW, I went with the original pads as some people complain about the Akebono ceramics lack of grip when cold. The E350 will be getting Akebonos though, the dust has been terrible and the severe rotor wear is ridiculous.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E320
Ok guys i have 04 E320 and i always used the OEM pads till last year when i was told that i need to change all rotors. in 6 years i had to replace brade pads 3 times so every other year, and then 6 years later rotors too. Thats when i said F this, I Ordered Akebono brake pads from Tire rack front and rear then i went to R1 concept website and ordered cross Drilled & slotted rotors.
Rotors were $310 shipped all four, pads were $140 shipped.

Installed them in my opinion i have better braking power but thats just me, plus no brake dust.
Year later i am still happy customer with my setup.