E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Command/NAV: What are we actually getting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 06:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Command/NAV: What are we actually getting?

In all this NAV insanity, it is unclear to me as to what features the new unit actually has. Based on previous speculations on this board, these are some questions:

1- Is the map DVD in a different slot than the front loading slot, or if you are using NAV, that slot is taken?

2- Will it have AUX in of some sort? My iPod needs a good conection

3- What about the bluetooth speculation. Will my bluetooth phone work with it?

4- What about playing movies? Will it play DVDs?

Anyone know if they have specs out yet?

Thanks,

-Eric
Old 05-05-2003, 07:37 AM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Unfortunately, I believe you will find the answer to most is "no". I too have Bluetooth, an iPod, MP3 CD's, etc etc, but so far, the Germans back in Germany do not even know what any of these are, let along plan implementation in a Benz. Puzzling - I've asked for this for years.

Eventually, surely even middle-aged Germans will have kids with MP3 collections? ;-)
Old 05-05-2003, 11:13 AM

03 E320 Sport (Navi Replacement)
Who knows, but for what it's worth...

A new COMAND system celebrates its world premiere in the E 55 AMG

The latest generation of COMAND is marking its world premiere in the E 55 AMG. The pioneering radio, navigation and communications system is available as an option and stands out with its extensive range of comfort and safety-enhancing features. The new COMAND comes as standard with an RDS car radio with double tuner for FM, long, medium and short-wave reception, an amplifier with 4x 25-watt output, video DVD and audio CD player, and DVD navigation with dynamic route guidance based on RDS-TMC. Faster data transfer allows the new and highly efficient MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) bus system to considerably increase the processing speed of the system. The 22.5-megabit band width is a four-fold increase on the previous system, which used a D2B databus system.

DVD navigation increases the speed and precision of the route guidance system

The enlarged 6.5-inch colour screen in 16:9 format improves clarity in the navigation, audio and TV modes (optional). The navigation system is based on leadingedge DVD technology, with a series of factors making the latest incarnation faster and more precise that the previous CD-ROM-based system. The navigation computer has a more powerful processor, and the system also uses a separate asynchronous channel for the route guidance function which cannot be occupied by other channels. The detailed data underpinning the DVD system makes it even more powerful and precise. A DVD for the whole for Europe avoids the need to change from one CD-ROM to the next, making the whole system more user-friendly.

Route guidance also possible in 3-D

The route guidance system can run with either the familiar map and arrow presentation or using a new three-dimensional bird’s-eye perspective. The driver can also select an extremely informative split-screen option, which shows the road map on the left-hand side of the 50:50 screen and the symbols and advice on when to turn off on the right-hand side. The enlarged 6.5-inch colour display in 16:9 format improves clarity in navigation and TV mode. The navigation system can also be extended to include a dynamic route guidance function as an option. There is a separate slot for video DVDs and audio CDs, and a connection point for an MP3 player. The new COMAND system has 30 audio channels, with sound quality showing a considerably improvement on the previous version with six channels. The optionally-available surround-sound system offers the additional pleasure of a concert-hall ambiance.

A second monitor for the rear can be ordered as an option. This allows the rear passengers to watch the television whilst a different function is in use (for example, the navigation system or radio) on the COMAND module in the front of the car, or when the TV pictures are faded out in the front for safety reasons when the car reaches 6 km/h. The rear display offers plug-in facilities for two sets of headphones, as well as auxiliary equipment such as a video camera, digital camera with video output and games console.

“Bluetooth” telephone with state-of-the-art radio technology now available

Also available as an optional extra is a “Bluetooth” telephone. The cordless hand-set works with cutting-edge radio technology and can be used in combination with the fixed-installation car telephone. A mobile phone is also available as an alternative. Both telephones are fitted with a hands-free facility and can be operated using voice commands (LINGUATRONIC), or via buttons on the COMAND screen or multifunction steering wheel.

The mobile office with Internet access and voice control for all functions

As an option, the new COMAND system can be adapted to function as a mobile office, giving the driver and passengers the benefit of WAP Internet access, enabling them to send and receive SMS messages and e-mails, and providing a personal address book function for good measure. Access to the MB Portal will be possible in the near future, as will voice control during a journey, allowing all COMAND functions to be controlled by the driver or front passenger’s voice. The LINGUATRONIC system already available for the telephone and radio will be extended for use with the navigation, TV, Internet, e-mail, SMS and address-book functions in the new COMAND system. There is even a voice recorder on board, allowing short messages to be recorded quickly in much the same way as with a dictating machine.

With this extensive range of new technology and functions, Mercedes-Benz is making an important contribution to road safety, as the driver no longer has to take his hands off the steering wheel or his eyes off the road in order to operate the COMAND system.

The new-generation COMAND system is now available for the E 55 AMG and all other Mercedes-Benz E-Class Saloons.
http://www.car-data.com/xpage.previe...s&model=e55amg

Last edited by Counsel; 05-05-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:32 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
how close is what is described here to reality? i cannot find anything on what the new DVD navigation offers in the US. please advise.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Originally Posted by potxoli
In all this NAV insanity, it is unclear to me as to what features the new unit actually has. Based on previous speculations on this board, these are some questions:

1- Is the map DVD in a different slot than the front loading slot, or if you are using NAV, that slot is taken?

2- Will it have AUX in of some sort? My iPod needs a good conection

3- What about the bluetooth speculation. Will my bluetooth phone work with it?

4- What about playing movies? Will it play DVDs?

Anyone know if they have specs out yet?

Thanks,

-Eric
1- the map DVD should be inserted in the navigation drive which sits in the trunk. Meaning that the DVD drive in your head unit in dash can be used for something else...

2- I am not entirely sure, but I think it comes with AUX.

3- New E-classes do have software related problems, especially when it comes to the phone. Although I believe MBenzNL and Scorchie are trying to figure out a way to get a phone kit installed in a W211... Maybe in a month or two... Don't know if it will have Bluetooth as well, though...

4- US spec W211 comands have SAT radio capability. Euro spec comands have DVD / MP3 capability. More info can be found here:
http://www.mbenznl.com/products/w211comands.shtml

Oh, and the very early 2003 W211 US specs have DVD capability as well...

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 10-28-2004, 04:52 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
so is the European head unit compatible with the US phone kit? if Steve and Scorchie get the other kit setup (bluetooth hopefully), will it be compatible with the EU head unit, and can we see the display on the EU display rather than on an external box?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
so is the European head unit compatible with the US phone kit? if Steve and Scorchie get the other kit setup (bluetooth hopefully), will it be compatible with the EU head unit, and can we see the display on the EU display rather than on an external box?
All I know now, is that if a US spec W211 comes with a factory fitted phone, and you swap your US comand head unit for a Euro spec, you won't be able to use your phonebook anymore. That's one thing people have to keep in mind.

As for the Euro HU being compatible with the US phone kit... that's something Steve and Scorchie have to look in to, I guess. And as you know, Scorchie is looking for volunteers!

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 10-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Is the Euro Head Unit even necessary? Take a look at these pictures:

http://www.mbdoctor.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

The head unit is the US version.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:32 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
too bad we cannot see his registration year on the license plate, we could tell if this was a 2003 E-class that could play DVDs. the current US models do not. but some units from 2003, utilizing the 3-5-7 trick could.

scorchie and steve dissected the US head unit (see their webpage) and you'll see that the drive in there is a CD rom drive, not a DVD rom drive. and the card in there does not have any video area which the EU one does (killed my hopes of swapping out the CD one with a DVD one...).
Old 10-28-2004, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
...a 2003 E-class that could play DVDs.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That must be the case here.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:21 AM
ON SUSPENSION

W211 E-class DVD, MP3 core or exchange TV

Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
Is the Euro Head Unit even necessary? Take a look at these pictures:

http://www.mbdoctor.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

The head unit is the US version.

this is a Euro command isf you need any i do have some info help and more
WWW.MBDOCTOR.COM
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
As far as I understood, the US Comand is the one with the red & green send/end keys, and the sat button, and the word "PWR" on the on off button.
The Euro versions use white icons for the phone functions & don't say Sat on the top right button. They also dont use the word PWR on the on off button. So the pix look like US Comands.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:23 PM

e320 v6
Hi you tech savvy guys,I am in Australia,have a beautiful Black 2005 e350 Avantgarde,
my problem is somehow the command SAT NAV is now reading in German it was reading in English,have checked owners manual too difficult for me any suggestions on how to reset back to English dialect in easy to understand instructions please.............Chaza in Oz
Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 PM

05/CDI, 08/955, 07/997-4S
Originally Posted by chaza
Hi you tech savvy guys,I am in Australia,have a beautiful Black 2005 e350 Avantgarde, my problem is somehow the command SAT NAV is now reading in German it was reading in English,have checked owners manual too difficult for me any suggestions on how to reset back to English dialect in easy to understand instructions please.............Chaza in Oz
Try Service button and select your language option?