E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Updating Sat Nav DVD ?

Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E-Class 320 CDI Sport
Question Updating Sat Nav DVD ?

Hi,

I've just purchased a 2006 E320 CDI Sport. It's my second E-class, but my first with COMAND APS (NTG1)

I've just popped the sat-nav dvd out of the dvd unit in the boot and the disc details are this:

Navigation Europe Version 4.1
A 211 827 81 59
B6 782 3395

(scan of disc attached to this post)

Obviously what I want to do is upgrade to the latest map DVD (v11?). Can I just obtain/buy the latest map DVD, or do I have to upgrade the COMAND firmware first using that Service Disc I've read about elsewhere on these forums ?

Thanks in advance.

-Jar
Attached Thumbnails Updating Sat Nav DVD ?-comand-aps-dvd-disc.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
As you may have seen, there are a number of threads on this very subject. I'll save you some time in searching and tell you that nobody really knows. In other words, there are no specific details available as to when the specific update disc is required...and when it's not required. In general, most (but not all) new versions of the map DVD will typically contain some software updates. When you insert the disc, those updates take place automatically. If you skip too many versions, the new disc may not contain all of the necessary updates...and hence, you need a specific "update" disc to fill the gaps. Going from version 4.1 to 11 seems like quite a number, so it might be safe to assume that you will need the update disc. But once again, nobody really knows.

The only way to really find out is to go ahead and get your new v11 map DVD (you need it anyway), and pop it in. If the disc isn't recognized, then you will likely need an update disc. These discs are relatively inexpensive (12 US dollars) if you need to buy one. But, if you buy the new map DVD from your dealer, they will most likely take care of doing this update (if needed) for free. Best of luck, TJ
Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E-Class 320 CDI Sport
TJ, Thanks for the detailed and clear reply. I'll try the v11 disc first then, if it doesn't work, I'll look for the service disc. I wont be doing it at the dealer, as I refuse to pay labour for things that I can easily do myself

Cheers,

Jar
Old 01-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
I'm the same way Jar. Especially when I lived in the UK (Bucks-Beaconsfield) where the rates seemed exponentially higher than those here in the US. I tend to do everything myself....everything I'm capable of that is. I enjoy scouring forums, maintenance manuals to learn how to do something properly, and as my name suggest, I look at it as an opportunity to add to tool arsenal. All while saving money in the process...and having a great sense of satisfaction in accomplishing something myself. Only reason I know a little about this update process, is due to the fact the I recently retro-fitted my E320 with the Nav system (bought some used parts), so had to go through some updating myself.
All the best, TJ
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Before I got my latest NA disc, I found one on the Pirate Bay that worked fine. Google around for some torrents. When I got my latest 2010 disc, I copied it and use a backup without issue. I keep the original nice and safe along with digital copies...