Start/Stop Technology and battery capacity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Start/Stop Technology and battery capacity

I realize this is not directly W211 related but does anyone know the intricacies of the start/stop technology of the newer MB engines that are coming out? Does the motor just cut out when you are stopped and the battery powers all the electrical/electronic consumers until the engine starts back up when the throttle is pressed? Are these engines generally paired with a more powerful battery to handle the extra/heavy load?

As for the W211 how good is the battery at powering the exterior parking lights, the interior illumination and the sounds system when the car is stopped with the engine off? I sometimes worry about the battery if I am in my car waiting for someone for 10-20 minutes with the engine off and the sound system running off the battery. Should I not worry about this? How much of a drain would being in the car for 20 minutes cost the battery?

I have also wondered what the situation is with the battery when a chauffeur is involved. If he has to stay with the car can he keep the sound system on for a an hour or two or is he generally expected to not use any electrical consumers beyond 10-15 minutes to make sure the battery is not discharged too much.

Would be nice if these cars had more powerful batteries but I guess it is coming... sooner or later!

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 01-31-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I realize this is not directly W211 related but does anyone know the intricacies of the start/stop technology of the newer MB engines that are coming out? Does the motor just cut out when you are stopped and the battery powers all the electrical/electronic consumers until the engine starts back up when the throttle is pressed? Are these engines generally paired with a more powerful battery to handle the extra/heavy load?

As for the W211 how good is the battery at powering the exterior parking lights, the interior illumination and the sounds system when the car is stopped with the engine off? I sometimes worry about the battery if I am in my car waiting for someone for 10-20 minutes with the engine off and the sound system running off the battery. Should I not worry about this? How much of a drain would being in the car for 20 minutes cost the battery?

I have also wondered what the situation is with the battery when a chauffeur is involved. If he has to stay with the car can he keep the sound system on for a an hour or two or is he generally expected to not use any electrical consumers beyond 10-15 minutes to make sure the battery is not discharged too much.

Would be nice if these cars had more powerful batteries but I guess it is coming... sooner or later!
Not sure about the new vehicles that will have the engine turn off at a red light. But I know that on my 08 E300, I have sat in my car for hours with the engine off (like 5 or 6 hours) running things like my stereo, heated seats and parking lamps (which are usually on when you have your key in position 2 and your lights are on the auto setting)

I have never had issues with the battery going dead. These Mercedes batteries are quite resilient to being used in this way.