W or S Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
W or S Mode

I know they have explain this on the manual but i still dont understand what they're saying.. can someone explain me what is their function? what is the difference? is the other is faster to drive or what?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent done too much research on the new E, but on mine W=Winter and S=Standard and Im guessing its the same on the new E.

Since you dont have too much of a winter is Northern CA, I think your safe to keep it in Standard mode.

Winter mode starts the car out in 2nd gear I believe.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:20 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Re: W or S Mode

Originally posted by sf49ers79
I know they have explain this on the manual but i still dont understand what they're saying.. can someone explain me what is their function? what is the difference? is the other is faster to drive or what?
S: S is the usual driving mode you use for day to day driving in normal weather conditions. When accelerating from a standstill, the car's auto tranny begins in 1st gear as usual.

W: W is recommended in bad weather (ice, snow etc). When accelerating from a standstill, the auto tranny starts you in 2nd gear. You will have less torque in second, and consequently less chance to spin the tires.

W is basically a less aggressive setting for the transmission, but I am not sure how it functions with the ESP (perhaps makes that more conservative as well).
Old 05-07-2003, 12:29 PM

And all this time, I thought S stood for SPORT!

/says to himself: RTFM you moron!
Old 05-07-2003, 02:27 PM

2003 E-500
One other nice feature of the W mode is that it has an anti-roll back feature in addition to starting in 2nd gear. That is, if you are on a hill in W mode, the car will not roll back when facing up hill. It will, however, roll down any hill. This feature is useful when backing into a parking space when heading up hill.

I would like to see MB put a hand brake on their cars sold in the US instead of the foot parking brake. Having driven in England for many years, I got used to using the hand brake to facilitate low speed maneuvering with a standard transmission as all of the cars sold there have them and most have manual trannies. In fact, to get your British Drivers License, you used to have to display proper use of the hand brake and clutch in order to get your license. For example, at a stop light, you are required to come to a stop, put the car in neutral and apply the hand brake. When the light turns yellow, you then put the car in gear and release the brake. You also have to use it when performing the classic three point turn on a narrow high crowned road.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:12 PM

e500
you know how on the dash, below your milage counter it tells you weather you're on S or W, well, i thought that was the compass thought that it was broken cuz it was stuck on S, which i thoguht i was going south all the time, but, yea...
Old 05-07-2003, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Thx for those who answer my Quest
that s a gud one pogo .... going south all the time LOL..

one more thing what ESP for and stands for?
Old 05-07-2003, 04:45 PM

Electronic Stability Program
Old 05-07-2003, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Turbo 2 what Esp for then? is it stabilize when we're making sharp turn? or else?
Old 05-07-2003, 04:57 PM

MB can explain it much better then I can, here it is taken straight from their website:

"Electronic Stability Program (ESP)

ESP works invisibly to help drivers maintain control of their Mercedes-Benz vehicles under certain driving conditions. The system's sensors detect oversteer, understeer or slippage on hazardous road surfaces. From these inputs, ESP can sense impending loss of control and momentarily apply the brake on one wheel to help restore stability."