E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-04-2015, 08:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Replacing of AUX Battery is a must or not??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-240 2004
Unhappy Replacing of AUX Battery is a must or not??

Am owning E-240 Model 2004 , recently a RED battery icon begin appearing in my dash from time to time "it begin to appear once a week" , then it begin to appear on daily basis but as soon as I drove the car turn and it off and on again it will disappear , now the battery is keeping popping once i turn on the ignition even if i drove it for a while.

A friend of mine told me its mostly the AUX battery which he said that it will die after a long time use "Mileage of my car is 140K" , The battery in the trunk still new "fixed 2 months back".

Now my question is what could happen in case i didn’t replace the AUX battery immediately – any side effects will happened in the car ? does this effect the efficiency or life time of the main battery in the trunk any other part in the car ?

What I have been told and read in the net that AUX battery is mainly to support SBC , is it a backup battery for SBC or what ? If AUX battery is dead that s mean that SBC is no more working?

Note:-
All Electric functions in the car are working perfectly.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If your SBC fails, it will scare the crap out of you & you will probably hit something. Change the battery. Its there for a reason.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 PM

E-240 2004
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
If your SBC fails, it will scare the crap out of you & you will probably hit something. Change the battery. Its there for a reason.

I got it , so this will be my word nightmare , but isnt weird that SBC still works fine with me while there is an AUX battery fault is going on ???
Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM

E-240 2004
i read in the net that AUX battery will be used by SBC in case of Electric failure.

Does that mean that in case there is no eclectic failure SBC will work by the main battery ??

and what do they mean by eclectic failure EXACTLY ? Can some one be more specific on this ?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by mohd3333
i read in the net that AUX battery will be used by SBC in case of Electric failure.

Does that mean that in case there is no eclectic failure SBC will work by the main battery ??

and what do they mean by eclectic failure EXACTLY ? Can some one be more specific on this ?
If your Alternator fails while you're driving, the main battery will discharge & drop below the level necessary to operate the many electric items in the car INCLUDING SBC. Without the Aux Battery you would then have no brakes. The same thing will happen if your main battery gets damaged, a cable fails or simply dies.

With a conventional Brake system, if the charging/electrical system fails you'd still have brakes. On this car you wouldn't.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Brought to you by the folks that make them

Here is the system explained by the M-B folks.
The link is provided by the Russian Club

(it worked previously)

http://www.mbclub.ru/pdf/219%20HO%20...2011-29-02.pdf
Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200
Hi folks sorry to drag up an old post but this student is in trouble.

Car
2003 W211 E Class 1.8 Petrol
Background:
Occasionally I had been getting an error on the dash "Malfunction Electrical Comsumers switched off" This error would show it head every so often but it would go away so I must admit I ignored it.
While driving home last week the car pretty much died on me. The radio went off, indicators stopped working, Heater/AC stopped. I tried to brake to slow down as I got a lot of warning lights on. THE BRAKES WERE GONE

Eventually I got the car stopped on the side of the road and tried to disconnect the battery etc and nothing changed. The car went into limp mode and I got it home as it wasn't far. (wouldn't come out of first gear)

Now at the moment the car is sitting there and when I start it there is various errors on the display:
"Malfunction Electrical Comsumers not switched on"
"ESP defective visit workshop"
"ABS defective visit workshop"
"Battery symbol -(Red) visit workshop"

There was a lot more (BAS was one) but thats what I have left.

I hope these would be all related. I have also read about this other battery. Does anyone with experience know if trying to change this battery would be a start rather than brining it to a garage ?

I just an not sure what this second battery is for ?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL450
Why are you posting your question on a 3 year old thread? Make a new one.