E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signal problem

Yesterday the front right signal stoped working. checked all other lights and everythings works. Changed the bulb but did not help. I chaned the front right Ito the left andthe assembly worked but when I used the working left on the right side, it did not work. I don't know if it has a fuse or the entire light assembly that has gone bad. My car is a 2003 E500 with about 80,000 miles.If anyone has an idea please share? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by merandad; 02-13-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
This “may” be due to inadequate electrical contact between the turn signal bulb socket and the headlamp housing. Repair kit 2038260282 (for comparison-shopping, parts.com $24.15) should resolve matter. PM email address and I will send instructions.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (10-08-2023)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 PM

2004 E500 4 Matic
I've got what may be a related problem on my 2004 E500 4matic: Dash malfunction message says right front turn signal is out and dashboard indicator flashes "double-time". However, all exterior signals work just fine.

All dealer will do (and has done twice) is replace the (working) bulb. Says otherwise will have to do full diagnostic.

Konigstiger, or others, any advice? Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Check connections. Many light bulbs are connected to the CAN bus which is why the cluster can show you that a bulb went bad even if it's not bad. If you disconnect the blinker light bulb you will see the error message in the cluster.

Let them do a full diagnostic. If they're cool they do it for free. To scan the entire care takes less than 30 seconds plus 30 seconds to start DAS.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E500
E500 - turn signal

The turn signal on my 2003 E500 was out. Changing the bulb did not help. I read this thread, and got the kit that Konigstiger mentioned. It worked at first. I will spare you the details, but in a nutshell during installation I shorted the circuit. Now no matter what I do, I cant get power on the circuit. Using an ICARSOFT MBII scanner, I get the following error:

Under section PAS, driver side:

9009, Component E1e5 left turn signal lamp or component E2e5 Right turn signal lamp, is faulty or the lead has open circuit. I have verified all the connections to the kit and all are solid.

I have looked at all the posts about fuses and cant seem to find any reference to a fuse for the turn signal. Also inspected all the fuses in the fuse boxes under the hood, in the trunk, and next to the battery. All were good. Some posts referred to SAM module acting as an electronic fuse that will reset itself. But that does not appear to have happened. I will appreciate any ideas for where to look next.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fdk110
The turn signal on my 2003 E500 was out. Changing the bulb did not help. I read this thread, and got the kit that Konigstiger mentioned. It worked at first. I will spare you the details, but in a nutshell during installation I shorted the circuit. Now no matter what I do, I cant get power on the circuit. Using an ICARSOFT MBII scanner, I get the following error:

Under section PAS, driver side:

9009, Component E1e5 left turn signal lamp or component E2e5 Right turn signal lamp, is faulty or the lead has open circuit. I have verified all the connections to the kit and all are solid.

I have looked at all the posts about fuses and cant seem to find any reference to a fuse for the turn signal. Also inspected all the fuses in the fuse boxes under the hood, in the trunk, and next to the battery. All were good. Some posts referred to SAM module acting as an electronic fuse that will reset itself. But that does not appear to have happened. I will appreciate any ideas for where to look next.
What exactly did you install? Shorted what circuit? Turn signals are protected by fuses internally of the corresponding SAM. The more details, the less questions, the better help we can give.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:08 AM

Mercedes E500
I thought I had the detail but here goes again.

I installed the kit (Repair kit 2038260282) referenced by Konigstiger in an earlier post in this thread. The kit replaces the bulb socket with one that has two leads, one goes to ground and the other to cable providing current to the turn signal bulb. I shorted these two leads.

I guess if the SAM has internal fuses, then the solution is to replace the SAM??

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2017, 12:21 AM
Banned

I thought I had the detail but here goes again.

I installed the kit (Repair kit 2038260282) referenced by Konigstiger in an earlier post in this thread. The kit replaces the bulb socket with one that has two leads, one goes to ground and the other to cable providing current to the turn signal bulb. I shorted these two leads.

I guess if the SAM has internal fuses, then the solution is to replace the SAM??
I read you used a kit but I had no time to look up what this kit contains. Sorry if that is too much for you to explain what you did or what the kit includes.

Now since this is out of our way, I would put your no name scanner aside and get a real quick test done with Star Diagnosis at a dealership, Indy or friend and post findings before you go and buy more stuff. If that is not possible, take your SAM out and physically inspect it.

That is what I would do, from cheap to expensive.

Hint for future repairs: Disconnect the ground lead of your battery. Next time you might work on an airbag and deploy it in your face. I have seen it happen. After you reconnect the battery, normalize the steering wheel angle sensor, normalize all four windows and sunroof.

Last edited by Mackhack; 09-03-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:53 AM

Mercedes E500
Many thanks for the sarcastic response. if you dont have time to read the posts, then save everyone your sarcasm and dont respond. As I mentioned, the scanner was from ICARSOFT. I guess you didnt read that either and elected to just shoot a response.

And the bit about getting a scan at the dealer, like duh, why didnt I think of that and instead I thought to come to this forum and get a dose of sarcastic drivel, if you what that means.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 AM
Banned

Many thanks for the sarcastic response. if you dont have time to read the posts, then save everyone your sarcasm and dont respond. As I mentioned, the scanner was from ICARSOFT. I guess you didnt read that either and elected to just shoot a response.

And the bit about getting a scan at the dealer, like duh, why didnt I think of that and instead I thought to come to this forum and get a dose of sarcastic drivel, if you what that means.
I read every sentence, I know the icarsoft garbage and it's clearly not my problem. I wasn't sarcastic, i was dead serious about what i wrote. Apparently you're the one who didn't read or comprehend what the means. I gave you information what you can do, you simply ignored that too as it seems or you wouldn't act like that. Do what you want.

Last edited by Mackhack; 09-03-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:12 AM

Mercedes E500
If you had taken the time to read the first post, it clearly said:" I read this thread, and got the kit that Konigstiger mentioned"...And since the thread is about turn signals, it naturally follow that the kit relates to the subject. Appears that you have no idea what the issue is and just wanted to get your post count up...

Again, if you want to dispense with your sarcastic drivel, at least go back and read the posts...If you dont have time to read them, then let others answer...

I guess you had to take out the frustrations somehow...
Old 10-08-2023, 01:59 PM

'99 W140 S500, '05 W211 E500, '12 W251 R350
Rt front turn signal error

Originally Posted by merandad
Yesterday the front right signal stoped working. checked all other lights and everythings works. Changed the bulb but did not help. I chaned the front right Ito the left andthe assembly worked but when I used the working left on the right side, it did not work. I don't know if it has a fuse or the entire light assembly that has gone bad. My car is a 2003 E500 with about 80,000 miles.If anyone has an idea please share? Thanks in advance.
Do the simple stuff first. Confirm filament is intact then clean electrical contact surfaces in housing and connector. I used a small emery board. Does not take much oxidation to trigger an error. 15 minute fix.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:41 PM

2004 Mercedes E320
Fix without new parts

For anyone reading this forum in the future and is dealing with the issue mentioned by konigstiger, I was able to fix it without buying the repair kit.

The main issue is that the two metal contact points in the little socket that holds the light bulb that you twist out isn't making proper adequate connection, so instead of buying a new socket, you can just use a flathead or something to slightly pry the contact points (2 little L-shaped flaps) to flair outwards a bit more, this should force it to make more contact with the metal in the holder that it twists into.

I also sanded the contact points and sprayed with electrical cleaner for good measure but it didn't look too dirty, probably just bending the contact points outwards a bit would have done the job.

Last edited by phcs; 10-30-2023 at 12:05 AM. Reason: add title
Old 11-04-2023, 03:34 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
For anyone wanting to clean electrical contacts that maybe recessed, obtain a cheap ball point pen that is non retractable and has an eraser on the opposite end. This eraser will be the sanded type used to erase ink. Pencil erasers do not contain the microsand embedded in the rubber. So place the eraser on a contact and twirl the pen a few times.

Also the turn signal in the outside mirror is monitored by the SAM.

Last edited by ot1; 11-04-2023 at 03:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ot1:
crvieira (11-04-2023), nd-photo.nl (11-04-2023)