E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Drive-Dynamic vs Multi-Contour Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Drive-Dynamic vs Multi-Contour Seats

Since I am one of those lucky folks that will be getting ANOTHER E500 because of the NAV situation, I would like to hear feedback on Drive-Dynamic and/or Multi-Contour seats.
My car presently has Active Ventilated Seats. Based upon early order info (my car was made in Sept), my salesman thought that with Active Ventilated Seats you got Multi-Contour Seats (WRONG!!)
Well, I have never been very happy with the comfort of the E500 seats, mainly because it gives little thigh support. From MB's literature, I (and my salesman) cannot tell if either of these seat packages actually moves the seat bottom cushion out further (like an S's seats do) or if it only inlates the thigh area of the seat bottom cushion.
If you have either of these options, please respond as to what it actually does and if you think that it worth it. (WE haven't yet settled on the reordered E500 yet...) Thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:55 PM

E500 Sport
I got both and would buy again. And yes, the seat base extends out to give thigh support. Mark
Old 05-09-2003, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Love it!

The drive dynamic seats are one of things I like most about my E500!

Hearty recommendation for them!

EDJ
Old 05-09-2003, 11:54 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I have the Multi-Contour seats...

but not the Drive Dynamics. The Multi-Contour seats have a wide range of adjustment, but they're probably more effective for "larger" people, especially with respect to the movement of the side bolsters. Even with the side bolsters all the way in, I still slide around in the seat since I'm so thin.

The thigh support is great. The front edge of the seat extends and retracts to support your hamstrings. This adjustability is nice since I'm much taller than my wife.

The most important adjustment with the Multi-Contours IMO is the lumbar support. It moves up and down, in and out. You can place the support exactly where you need it.

The option is a little pricey, but I would definitely do it again just because of the mobile lumbar support.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:59 AM

2013 S550
I've already re-ordered but they haven't begun the build yet, so let me understand...

1. Do the drive-dynamic seats offer more adjustment options over the stock seats? (especially in thigh length - i.e., deeper)

2. Are they any softer - more "sink into" feeling?

3. Can you have the active ventilated seats with the drive-dynamic seats?

4. How subtly do they blend into the regular cabin environment?

I have the non-sport and am basically looking for something more comfortable. I don't need the massage & stuff, and I would only realize the bolster support perhaps 5-10% of the time due to the majority of my driving is on congested freeways and 35 mph residential areas. I asked my salesperson before I placed the re-order. Neither she nor the inventory manager had ever sat in drive dynamic seats. She said she had one customer, a very large man, who bought them because he thought they would fit his frame better. He told her he couldn't tell the difference.

Any thoughts (quickly) would be appreciated. I'll need to get in touch with the inventory manager and add that before they begin the build if I decide to go that route.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:23 AM

E500 Sport
Originally posted by ctouhey
I've already re-ordered but they haven't begun the build yet, so let me understand...

1. Do the drive-dynamic seats offer more adjustment options over the stock seats? (especially in thigh length - i.e., deeper)

2. Are they any softer - more "sink into" feeling?

3. Can you have the active ventilated seats with the drive-dynamic seats?

4. How subtly do they blend into the regular cabin environment?

I have the non-sport and am basically looking for something more comfortable. I don't need the massage & stuff, and I would only realize the bolster support perhaps 5-10% of the time due to the majority of my driving is on congested freeways and 35 mph residential areas. I asked my salesperson before I placed the re-order. Neither she nor the inventory manager had ever sat in drive dynamic seats. She said she had one customer, a very large man, who bought them because he thought they would fit his frame better. He told her he couldn't tell the difference.

Any thoughts (quickly) would be appreciated. I'll need to get in touch with the inventory manager and add that before they begin the build if I decide to go that route.
1. Yes, Drive Dynamic does offer more adjustments and fearures like Side Bolster auto audjust in tuns....
2. No, No softer
3. Yes, you can have active vent seats and drive dynamic.... I have it.
4. very..... you can't tell the difference

I disagree with the comment,,,, "you can't tell the difference" with drive dynamic seats..... I would buy them again.

Mark
Old 05-10-2003, 08:11 PM

2003 E500
I have the 406 multicontour, plus the heated seats/wheel package (e5).

Given a chance to sit in the car beforehand (there were none with the 406 seats), I would delete both options and instead get Active Ventilated and a heated separate steering wheel.

At the AMG Challenge on Friday it really helped to be able to crank up the side bolsters, but in normal use I just don't get enough out of the 406 seats to think they were worth my money.

I wish the E had the seat adjustments that the CL has - where there are *two* "bottom cushion" buttons, one of which moves the bottom seat element forward/back without moving the backrest - in effect elongating the seat and providing more under-thigh support for long-legged folks like myself.

Trending Topics

Old 05-11-2003, 04:27 AM

e500
i wouldnt know cuz i dont have none of that, my sales person said that i already have the drive dynamic seats, he said it was standard on all e500, so i didnt bother, but i was lied too.. what an ***
Old 05-11-2003, 03:10 PM

2003 E500
Thanks for all the help. One more question...

It appears that all the features of the Multi-Contour Seats are a part of the Drive-Dynamic Seats with only the "side bolster speed induced" feature added. Is this correct?? In other words, you can't order BOTH Multi-Contour AND Drive-Dynamic, right??? I only have one more chance to get this right.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:09 PM

2003 E500
Correct. Drive dynamic includes the under knee and lumbar air adjustments, and adds the auto-inflating side bolsters and the pulse-massage feature to the lumbar support