Please help with tech question about headlight exchange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Sport Black/Black
Please help with tech question about headlight exchange

Hello all,

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! I am supposed to be picking up a 2008 E550 sport, loaded with the exception of fricking Xenon's....... which is absolutely mind boggling to me. I don't get how it is even an option on a car that was nearly 70k new. But anyway, I have been digging through the forum and Ebay etc to try and find the best option to upgrade the headlights to xenon. I would have preferred bi-xenon, but it doesn't appear possible short of OEM for thousands of $'s.

So, I have found this headlight assembly for $708:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09...ht_3291wt_1167

That does not come with Xenon bulbs, so can someone please tell me if this assembly would work with these bulbs:

http://www.hidonlinestore.com/hid-d2...FQkCbAodrUDfBA

If not, if you could please let me know what I need, and any suggestions as to where I could find it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am unfortunately not a DIY savvy kinda guy, so I'll be taking everything to someone else to install. I was thinking I might as well have the other bulbs for DRL, fogs, and high beams swapped at the same time to 6k, so that everything looks uniform. Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback, warnings etc about this would also be appreciated.

I am kind of flipping out, as it's now 1 am, and I am supposed to pick up the car today. But after coming home tonight and realizing this may not be a simple fix, or even fixable, I am wondering if I will even be able to live with this car or I might have to let it go and move on to one with F*&%ing Xenon's. Sorry, I still think that's ridiculous!

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
How can the car be "Loaded" and not have Xenons? Are you sure about "Loaded"?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM

E550 Sport Black/Black
Loaded.....I'm SO SORRY :) Well equipped, perhaps?

Ok, so well equipped would be a better way to state it. But is has Sport pack, Keyless, Heated/Cooled seats, Logics 7, Ipod, Bluetooth, Navigation etc. And, as I said, I agree with you and I am very frustrated and can't really understand why this car would not come with Xenon's.

However, your reply debating the semantics of loaded or not, really has nothing to offer regarding any input or a solution for the challenge that I requested help from the forum. But thank you anyways.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 PM

E550 Sport Black/Black
Bump

Any help from the forum would be truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
How can the car be "Loaded" and not have Xenons? Are you sure about "Loaded"?
Yes, isn't that part of P2? When I was shopping around it seemed as if most E550s were ordered with P2 which includes the following. Unless you are getting an incredible deal you should look for a car with P2 as it comes with some nice goodies.

P02 P02 Premium II Package:
DVD Navigation,
889 : KEYLESS-GO
619 : Cornering Fog Lamps
615 : Bi-Xenon Active Light System
600 : Headlamp Washing System
540 : Power Rear-Window Sunshade
536 : SIRIUS Satellite Radio
530 : DVD COMAND Navigation
401 : Heated and Active Ventilated Front Seats
389 : Hands-Free Communication System
Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
PS: The bi-xenon lights are amazing and make a huge difference. Compared to the Halogen lights of my Volvo S80, the Bi-xenons on the E550 are night and day. They illuminate the road so much better that I use the high beams much less frequently now. I'm not sure how it does it but whether I am driving fast on a straight road or slowly on neighborhood streets the car illuminates just what I need to see. If the car does not have it, if you are willing to wait, look for one with it built in.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:07 PM

E550 Sport Black/Black
Disregard

Went with the car, it's a particularly clean 08 blk/blk sport with only 24k miles. I got a pretty good price on it as well. I wish it did have the P2 package, as I am accustomed to all of those features, and still amazed that Xenons are even an option on the car. I am coming out of a BMW 750, and just due to the state of the economy/business etc, I'm going with a less expensive vehicle for a while until things turn around. I tend to go through cars fairly quickly, this is the 5th in 6 years. I have enjoyed them all, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, and there was even a Lexus in there. I have had the E550 a couple days and I am enjoying it, although I do miss the space of the 7. Maybe an S once things turn around. Thanks for the feedback, happy motoring!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:21 AM

02 E320 Blk, 09 E350 Blk
If you really want to get some quality Xenon lighting system, these are the best aftermarket HiD kit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTEC-...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-12-2011, 10:39 AM

w211 e500
that headlights you found on ebay does not include the ballast either nor the control.. so you will forkout more money on that ballast alone probably cost you 200 bucks.... then you have to go to the shop to enable the settings to xenon option by a star tool!!!

Originally Posted by VegasAutoPhile
Hello all,

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! I am supposed to be picking up a 2008 E550 sport, loaded with the exception of fricking Xenon's....... which is absolutely mind boggling to me. I don't get how it is even an option on a car that was nearly 70k new. But anyway, I have been digging through the forum and Ebay etc to try and find the best option to upgrade the headlights to xenon. I would have preferred bi-xenon, but it doesn't appear possible short of OEM for thousands of $'s.

So, I have found this headlight assembly for $708:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09...ht_3291wt_1167

That does not come with Xenon bulbs, so can someone please tell me if this assembly would work with these bulbs:

http://www.hidonlinestore.com/hid-d2...FQkCbAodrUDfBA

If not, if you could please let me know what I need, and any suggestions as to where I could find it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am unfortunately not a DIY savvy kinda guy, so I'll be taking everything to someone else to install. I was thinking I might as well have the other bulbs for DRL, fogs, and high beams swapped at the same time to 6k, so that everything looks uniform. Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback, warnings etc about this would also be appreciated.

I am kind of flipping out, as it's now 1 am, and I am supposed to pick up the car today. But after coming home tonight and realizing this may not be a simple fix, or even fixable, I am wondering if I will even be able to live with this car or I might have to let it go and move on to one with F*&%ing Xenon's. Sorry, I still think that's ridiculous!

Thanks