E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

your thoughts on Daimler-Chrysler...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your thoughts on Daimler-Chrysler...

how do you feel about the relationship of Daimler-Chrysler and mb? are the mb cars built better or worst?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:32 PM

SL500
Mercedes-Benz has clearly lost its way. They made the foolish decision to purchase Chrysler, a company that the U.S. should have let die a number of years ago. They then made the decision to build the Crysler Crossfire which is nothing more that a rebadged SLK. Further tarnishing of the MB image will be accomplished by mass sharing of critical parts. Chrysler can't and probably won't consistantly make a profit. DaimlerChrysler is strictly relying on Mercedes Benz for profit.

Since the geniuses in Germany purchased this pathetic excuse for a car company they have put all their resources into trying to validify their mistake. MB quality has clearly suffered, instead of focusing on becoming the leader in terms of quality, MB seems content to rely strictly on the 3-pointed star. To make matters even worse they have come out with one of the ugliest cars in America, the c-coup and the A-class in Europe is no prize.

Mercedes Benz should dump Chrysler, something I think would be beneficial to both companies, and focus on what they are best at, designing and building the greatest cars in the world.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've driven that Crossfire, its a terrific car in its price range. Could have used another 30HP, but good nonetheless. Chrysler has always produced the most innovative American cars, and they will again, they are coming out of a slump in their product cycle. Look for the Pacifica to sell well.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:29 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
Well, this is an interesting question. It's hard to overcome the initial knee-jerk response that OF COURSE it was a bad move for Daimler to merge with/purchase Chrysler because: (i) Chrysler products are generally much lower on the marketing spectrum than is Daimler (thus diluting our sacred MB!); and (ii) Chrysler has been a money pit from day one. But, even trying to be as objective as possible about all this, I still can't overcome the initial reaction of: WHAT WAS MB THINKING? The only things I can see that MB could have hoped to have picked up from Chrysler are: (i) economies of scale from a larger operation; and (ii) the hope to make money from the Chrysler line itself. I don't see that economies of scale have amounted to much of anything- MB is already big enough on its own to have significant economies of scale itself. And, I'm not so sure that bigger is neccessarily better in the auto business. After all, Porsche is THE most profitable auto maker in the world, and it is tiny. BMW is quite profitable as well, more so after having de-merged with Rover (the English Patient). Clearly MB has not realized profits from Chrysler's own operations either- instead it has been a money loser and a drag on MB's earnings. Yes, Chrysler has had some innovative designs, but its implementation of these designs has been among the absolute worst in the entire industry. Overall, Chrysler has been an also-ran for as long as I can remember; mid-pack at best, and lower than that on the quality scale. Even by American car standards, Chrysler has been near the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Not even close to MB's league. I don't know whether one can say that MB's build quality has suffered as a direct result of its connection to Chrysler, but it is undeniable that MB's quality has taken a hit over the past 5 years or so (witness articles to this effect in the Wall Street Journal, and a recent article in Auto Spies that MB's warranty costs have tripled). I can't prove that MB's association with Chrysler has caused this decline in quality, but it surely can't have helped MB's R&D budget for it to have had to dip into its pocket the past several years to keep Chrysler afloat. That's money that MB could have used to improve product. Overall, I'd have to agree with MBZman- I don't see that MB's union with Chrysler has produced any tangible benefit for MB. I'd love to hear any counter arguments, but from where I sit I just don't see it at all. I think MB would be better off without Chrysler.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:49 PM

E500
They said it was a merger; however, it clearly was a takeover. Good or bad, still remains to be seen if any value will be created.
The long-term implication is that MB will lose its image of being aristocrat, best vehicles in the world. The percieved quality of MB is already fading. If MB starts sharing parts, it will lose many customers including myself.
But, many Chrysler executives were replaced by MB executives. This may keep the 'German culture' of auto making.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:26 PM

SL500
A while back I posted a topic regarding Jurgen Schrempp & Hubbert. I do believe it is time for both of them to go. I respect the overall vision that both have for DaimlerChrysler and Mercedes-Benz but there insightfulness has faded. MB needs a new leader who is focused on one thing and one thing only, Quality. Although I understand that surveys such as J.D. Powers & Consumer Reports need to be taken with a grain of salt, it is very important for MB to fair well in these surveys.

As for the sharing of parts, MB has already begun giving parts to Chrysler, if Chrysler parts ever find there way into MB's, something I highly doubt & MB vehemently denies will ever happen, I will no longer drive an MB unless there is a drastic adjustment in vehicle cost.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You do know there is a shared MB/Chrysler Platform comming up shortly right?
It was shown as the vehicle the 300C and i belive it will be the platform for use in the next gen C Class as well as several Chrusler sedans. So it remains what will be said in relation to Chrysler parts being in MBs.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pardon me, as i wrote that comment on word of mouth information. The detailed article is here .. > Link