E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 E500 mysterious low speed rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
2005 E500 mysterious low speed rubbing noise

I am original owner, only 39,000 miles. Car has developed a low speed intermittent, speed dependant rubbing noise below 35mph, whether moving forwards or backwards, even while in neutral with the engine off. It is not just annoying, but embarrassing.

Here are the results of my various trips to our local MB dealer service:

1. They could not hear it.
2. They hear it, but it is normal.
3. It is my brand new $350 tires.
4. It is the front wheel bearings, which are not repackable -- so they replaced the front wheel hubs. Negative results. They still hear the noise when spinning the wheels on the lift, and now conclude that the brake pads are rubbing, but tell me that the pads and rotors are fine and there is no adjustment to back the pads off the rotors.

Any experience with this condition would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Hi I have the exact same problem and its getting really damn loud (rear left wheel), I can even hear it with the windows closed.

Did you have any luck in solving the matter?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Where is the sound coming from?

(I just re-read your posting. I was confusing yours with the original. Hence my nonsensical header question)

I once had an annoying rubbing sound from my left-rear wheel. It was a clip that holds on the parking brake shoe that had come adrift and was rubbing. It was a week after I had changed the disks, so I knew it was probably something I'd done. I needed to remove the disk/drum and reseat the clip.

I also suggest you consider if it is the wheel bearing. Is it unusually hot around the wheel hub?

Last edited by ozusa; 12-18-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: re-read the posting
Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ozusa
(I just re-read your posting. I was confusing yours with the original. Hence my nonsensical header question)

I once had an annoying rubbing sound from my left-rear wheel. It was a clip that holds on the parking brake shoe that had come adrift and was rubbing. It was a week after I had changed the disks, so I knew it was probably something I'd done. I needed to remove the disk/drum and reseat the clip.

I also suggest you consider if it is the wheel bearing. Is it unusually hot around the wheel hub?
Hi ozusa.

I recently had a quaife LSD installed so the whole rear suspension and brake set up were off and on and the sound started a day or two after that.

I took it back yesterday and they said they went over all the brakes, took everything off and back on with no findings.

Their suggestion is that the tyre has busted a steel belt of developed a hard/flat spot.

I don't agree as the tyres look perfectly fine.

Guess ill rotate the rear wheels to see if the sound moves to the opp side.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM

2005 E500
To update my situation for those interested, I still own the car and the noise is still there -- but it has not gotten any louder (or softer) -- and the brakes are wearing just fine. The rotors have not been warping from excessive friction; so, I really do not think it is the brake pads rubbing.

I just figure that whatever part is making the noise will eventually fail, and then I'll know. Unfortunately, it seems that this is not a pervasive problem and the dealer is understandably cautious about spending my money to figure it out.

If you have a 2003, I had read that there were issues long ago with a brake clip coming loose; but that was rectified for 2004+. One of the mechanics on this forum will know more about that then me, of course!

Good luck to all
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Hi ReLINY77.

Have you changed your tyres since?

I temporarily put a set of different wheels/tyres on the rear and the sound was gone.

I also discovered that one of my rear rims has a crack in it, hence is leaking air.

I should also note that my car is also a 2003 but i'm now 99% certain the sound is due to a faulty tyre and/or rim.

i will update as soon I make up my mind on which aftermarket rims to go for!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
I think your problem may be the in the emergency brake adjustment.