Is Mercedes Worth the Price

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic
Is Mercedes Worth the Price

Hi,

I do not own a Mercedes yet but am highly interested in getting one soon. I have been reading messages on this forums many of which state problems with their new cars (E Class) in addition to the poor service provided by dealers. Is it worth to spend this kind of money and buy E Class which has so many bugs. Please provide your comments.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 11:22 PM

2013 GL550
Vivek - If every potential car buyer scanned a user forum for their car choices they would never buy the car. User forums are a great way to get input and answers to problems, questions, etc. Two things to keep in mind - for almost every "problem" post there is one that is just a question, a picture posting, accesory question, etc.

Secondly, user forums like this one and others I have belonged to make up only about 10-15% of all owners out there. Not a scientific study, just some informal polls done a couple years ago on other forums. The percentages are higher with makes like BMW and Audi. So don't panic - my car has had no problems in 7000 miles(except for some bonehead leaving the parking lights at the golf course). Buy the car you like and enjoy it!!! Concieved, designed, and built by humans - somethings bound to go wrong!!!

Bruce
Old 05-14-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Is Mercedes Worth the Price

Originally posted by Vivek
Hi,

I do not own a Mercedes yet but am highly interested in getting one soon. I have been reading messages on this forums many of which state problems with their new cars (E Class) in addition to the poor service provided by dealers. Is it worth to spend this kind of money and buy E Class which has so many bugs. Please provide your comments.

Thanks
hey vivek, are you indian, if you are, my names vishall. with two l's if you get it. we have an 03, we had some problems, like motor mounts, and something ernt wrong with the alarm. but overall for us, the dealer was superbly great. they provided service that was excellent. i think it all depends on your dealer. also, if you plan to get an E, i suggest getting a 04, all of the 04 models will most likely not have the bugs that the 03's are having. so i wouldnt really worry, with an 04, you should be fine
Old 05-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I haven't had any problems at all with my car, and I LOVE it!!! I bought my first Mercedes in 1985 and have never been anything but thrilled with driving a Mercedes! My dealer service has always been excellent (my complaints with Mercedes have related to their sales department, not the service department).
Old 05-15-2003, 02:43 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
Yes, the new E car has had some bugs, but my dealer has been great in working them out. Overall, the new E is a truly wonderful car- the only other make I'd even consider is BMW.

Two points worth keeping in mind-

1. People who buy these cars tend to have high expectations and care a lot about their cars. They also tend to be very sensitive to problems which others might regard as insignificant. This is not limited to MB buyers- take a look at the Porsche or BMW forums; you'll find the same thing there. Ditto for people who buy Leica cameras, Krell amplifiers, Viking appliances, John Deere mowers, etc. They all want and expect THE BEST, and they notice ANY flaw they perceive to be less that this. So, of course they are going to go off on every little flaw they see, but this doesn't mean that the product is unworthy. It only means that NO product is ever going to be absolutely perfect, and that the owners of these high-end products tend to be ones who notice everything! Imagine how they'd react to a Chevy!!

2. All makers of quality autos who push the envelope and are on the cutting edge of technology have teething problems now and then (especially with electronics, it seems). None are immume. The Japanese seem to manage this better than most, but at the cost of producing boring and uninspired products.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:03 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic
Thanks for the responses. It has helped me to set my mind on one of the world's best sedan - E-Class.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:56 AM

VW passat
Can anyone comment on the recent JDPower report that put MB in below avg in term of quality?

I'm debating between the BMW 5 series and E-class and am now leaning toward the 2003 530i.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:12 AM

2013 GL550
There is whole thread on this topic. Search farther down in the topic list. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:26 AM

2003 E320
NO
Old 05-20-2003, 03:32 PM

demo benz
pioneers

it's always the pioneers that get the arrows shot at them.