E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Intermitent vibration - Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Intermitent vibration - Need help

My 03 E500 (Sport package, airmatic suspension, 54,000 miles) has developed an intermittent vibration, a bit like if you go over rumble strips or road ondulations. Vibration is very noticable but not too strong. I had the car parked for 4 months during winter and I just took it off storage last week and noticed the problem.

At the beggining I thought that the vibration was due to ondulations in the road surface but after testing all weekend I confirmed that it happens in any type of surface. Vibration is very noticable at low speed, between 60 - 80 kph (35 - 50 mph) but also happens at higher speeds. It doesn't seem to increase with the speed tough. I have also noticed that if I cut the gas the vibration stops.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? Vibration is very annoying and I don't want to drive the car until I fix this problem.

Last edited by hsal100; 04-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Sorry to say it sounds a lot like this...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...n-problem.html

Radiator fault can cause coolant to leak into transmission.

Two other members described the exact same symptoms as you -

"Originally Posted by i8hotdogs
Hello All - My 03 E500 transmision started having problems yesterday morning. I thought it would go away after restarting the motor but it didn't. On a normal acceleration, the car starts jerking back and forth before shifting to second gear. Same thing occurs from 2nd to 3rd. After 3rd, the car picks up enough speed and seems to smooth out. I also accelerated hard around 55 mph and the car starts to jerk before taking off. Another thing I noticed is that once I am cruising around 60 mph, I here and feel vibration coming from the rear, it is like when you run over the groves cut into the sides of the road so it will wake you up if you are falling asleep. I also heard a quick low pitch hum once in a while. I am taking my car into the dealer today, I just wanted to know if anyone else seen this before. "

"My MB is in the shop now with the exact same complaint and issue. I even described the grinding issue the same "as if you were running over groves in the side of the road"".

Would get it checked at a dealer asap.

Good luck!

Last edited by BenzboyW210; 04-10-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by BenzboyW210
Sorry to say it sounds a lot like this...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...n-problem.html

Radiator fault can cause coolant to leak into transmission.

Two other members described the exact same symptoms as you -

"Originally Posted by i8hotdogs
Hello All - My 03 E500 transmision started having problems yesterday morning. I thought it would go away after restarting the motor but it didn't. On a normal acceleration, the car starts jerking back and forth before shifting to second gear. Same thing occurs from 2nd to 3rd. After 3rd, the car picks up enough speed and seems to smooth out. I also accelerated hard around 55 mph and the car starts to jerk before taking off. Another thing I noticed is that once I am cruising around 60 mph, I here and feel vibration coming from the rear, it is like when you run over the groves cut into the sides of the road so it will wake you up if you are falling asleep. I also heard a quick low pitch hum once in a while. I am taking my car into the dealer today, I just wanted to know if anyone else seen this before. "

"My MB is in the shop now with the exact same complaint and issue. I even described the grinding issue the same "as if you were running over groves in the side of the road"".

Would get it checked at a dealer asap.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Car will go to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Np, good call in getting it checked early!