E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e 320
Thanks a lot for your help, the ESP it's ok, like you say turn on both direction the stering
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM

2003 Mercedes E500
Esp malfunction

Had weird thing happen this morning. Tried to start car with push button. Radio went on and then got esp malfunction. Then tried to start car with key but car wouldn't start. But I also couldn't turn off radio. I was desperate she needed car as Ive been hunting for key to other car for a day. I disconnected the battery and then reconnected and everything fine so far. Just got a malfunction of license plate light out but that's it. Very strange and had never happened before.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Mercedes E329 / 4 drs
It sure hepl been part of MBWORLS!! i HAVE HAD MUCH HELP, THANKS AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM

Mercedes E329 / 4 drs
IT SURE HELPS BEING PART OF MBWORLD FORUM. I HAVE HAD MUCH HELP, THANKS AGAIN. MANUEL
Old 07-27-2014, 01:35 PM

2005 super s class 220
bas, eps and abs light on

My 2005 s500 not starting, and the star machine could not identified the cause, suspecting sam can B because the power supply where not circulate. Please I need urgent help
Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 AM

2008 e350 4matic
Gateway Module

I had a similar issue. Dash display went haywire, as in you couldn't believe it. ESP not functioning, take to dealer prompts, etc.

The Star system couldn't communicate with any if the body modules. Tech tore through the entire car.

He couldn't get I to the modules with Star to even see what was wrong.

Turned out to be the gateway module, which allows all of the body module computers and other computers to communicate with each other. $2,000 in labor tracking down the problem. $100 to replace the Gateway module.

Originally Posted by chemo
2005 w211 e320 cdi 80,000 miles

3 months ago stranded me at work with ESP malfunction/ABS malfunction. Would not start. Went back later to get it ready for tow and it started up and did well for about a month. No limp mode, just normal operation. At that time, the car did not show any codes on the dealers computer but it was running fine at the time.

Then 10 weeks ago it happened again, but this time it would not restart and displayed ESP Malfunction (but not ABS malfunction). It has been at an independent authorized mercedes service center since, including 1 week at a real dealer. The independent says it was the computer and put a new one in and it did not work, though there were some issues with coding the new computer but they were ironed out. It was towed to the Dealer by the independent (1.5 hours away where I bought it) and they worked 2 hours on it and said the comptur was not hooked up properly and it was DRIVEN back to my town. Then it wouldn't start and it sits at the independent still not starting demonstrating ESP Malfunction.

Everything else works. Just will not crank. Now week 10.
I am told the battery is in good condition, replaced last year, and making good charge.
Bit of history:
About 4 months ago, new brakes
About 3 months ago, horrible rev dependent vibrating sound that turned out to be a broken catalytic converter with a "dent" on the top, the side facing the inside underbelly of the car, and was told it was my fault and not a warranty issue. Fixed by dealer. I think in the process several other things were checked like the "shift sensor" or something but that was not it.

Except for a leaky high pressure fuel line when I first bought it in 2004, the car has been flawless.

I love Mercedes, I have had a 1977 240d during highschool and college, 1965 230sl, a 1997 c230, a new 2011 w212 e350 estate for the wife. But I am at my limit.

I have tried my best to read every thread regarding ESP Malfunction warning but none seem to fit my situation. Any point in the right direction.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:17 AM

Mercedes E320
Help! I have just had the airmatic compressor replaced on my '55 plate E320 and now have "ABS ESP Display Faulty". She wont turn over (completely dead) so I cannot even drive her to the garage for diagnosis; mobile diagnostic guy told me that he probably wouldn't be able to give me an accurate diagnosis!!

She did turn over immediately after having the compressor changed, so I am guessing that this is some sort of electrical problem that has occurred whilst they were messing with things?

Hoping that one of you may be able to shed some light on this as I am getting pretty desperate and my husband has run out of things to try!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 AM

C240
Originally Posted by mercuxio
Btw, nothing is replaced yet.refuse to be a guinea pig. it's just intermittent when car is hot.doesn't happen when car is cold.any chance of a failing cps?

It only happens during start. Not turning over andafter like 5 seconds the esp defective message comes out and radiator fan goes full blast.once started the car drives like normal.

If it's ecu,i would think the malfunctions would be displayed even when driving.

This sound like the crank sensor for Sure!! We the sensor car gets hot , the it well turn off, till it's cool to run again.. Let it cool for a day, turn on if it stay on for 10min then turn off.. Change it..
Old 07-10-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by marktel
I had a similar issue. Dash display went haywire, as in you couldn't believe it. ESP not functioning, take to dealer prompts, etc.

The Star system couldn't communicate with any if the body modules. Tech tore through the entire car.

He couldn't get I to the modules with Star to even see what was wrong.

Turned out to be the gateway module, which allows all of the body module computers and other computers to communicate with each other. $2,000 in labor tracking down the problem. $100 to replace the Gateway module.
Do you have a part #?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:15 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Did Chemo ever find a solution to his problem? I have a 2005 E320 CDI ....about two months ago every once in a while the car wouldn't start with the key in the ignition. I turn it a few times then it would start right up. I had the engine mounts replaced a few weeks ago and haven't been able start the car with the key however push button start works just fine. Last week the car left me stranded with an ESP Malfunction but then started an hour later. Turned it off and started right back up. Drove to the store a couple hours later and ESP Malfunction and wouldn't start. Ended up towing it to the dealership - started right up the next morning for them. They have started it everyday with no problem, but they believe it is a faulty ECM/ECU. Not sure what do as I don't wanted to be stranded again...and finding someone to repair the ECM on this car is next to impossible. MB has this part on back order. Any suggestions on ECM repair? There is a shop in CO that says they can repair them as they see many faulty ECMs. There is another shop in Michigan, however I am waiting to confirm he can work on this in particular ECM (6481500479).
Old 09-15-2015, 04:15 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Ensueno, have you had any problems since this happened?

Last edited by Sunny6; 09-15-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:56 PM

05 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by JonnyWalker
This exact thing JUST happened to me and I posted about it. The dealer replaced my SAM (Signal Acquisition/Activation Module) and the ESP module.
Did this fix it? Did they have to do anything else?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 e280 avantgarde
have almost similar problem esp abs brake malfunction rad fan at high speed. i turned it off then wont start. tried poking at transmission switch it started coincidentally and appears on limp mode speedometer aircon abnormal braking not working and when i arrive home it wont start when restarted. start normally the following days. changed my battery because loss of aircon appears to be related to power saving mode
Old 11-12-2015, 03:35 PM

05 E320 CDI
What happened to me?... I happened to me.

I just went through the most expensive carwash ever with my 05 E320 CDI.

I installed an EGR Emulator. By accident I left the fuse box cover off, for weeks. Went through the carwash. Car died 500 feet down the road. Threw all kinds of crazy codes. Everything you can imagine. ESP, SBC, Water In Fuel, low battery, Visit workshop, etc etc. Car started with no throttle response, idled fine, but no go juice, ran a bit, stalled out not to start again. Tow truck. Benz dealer, indy, or my house, I ask myself. Though I could already hear the old lady *****ing, "My house", I said.

My Chinese Star Diagnostics got no response from Front SAM module, had a circuit 15 code, and had a ton of other error codes, from sunroof, to glow plugs. And I think I noticed battery drain as well. Was hard to tell what was up. Not for a couple days of messing with it, did the Engine Fan start to come on full blast, which would kill battery while diagnosing on the computer. So I unplugged the fan, connector up by the fan shroud.

I started simple.

1) New Battery (MBZ dealer Oakland) $230
2) Ran codes, no start, still effed up.
3) Replaced front SAM module with new part: MBPartsCenter.com
211-545-91-01 RELAY PLATE $353.71 - also got new motor mounts and glow plugs.
4) Ran codes, no start, codes got better though.
5) Used ESP module $62 (ebay, used my star diag to initialize for my car)
6) Ran codes, no start, codes got better yet again.
7) Opened ECU, found ugly bits clearly related to water egress, see pic.
8) Exact ECU (648 150 09 79) not available from MBZ, plus they wouldn't sell it to me anyway, they have to install. http://www.partsbase.org/parts/mercedes-a6481500979/ There is a replacement (648 150 72 79) but it also requires new EGR (646 140 2760). New ECU quotes varied between $1200 and $1600, EGR was ~$350.
9) I ordered refurb from http://www.mercedesecm.com - ~$900. Sent mine to him to program refurb one right so it's just a drop in replacement no programming necessary. Should show up today, so we will see.
10) ECU showed up, plugged in, car starts. Impressed with ECU TECH http://www.mercedesecm.com. Came in electrostatic bag, instructions were good, 1 yr warranty, quick turn around. I recommend this business for ECU replacement.
11) Observed diesel leak out front of motor... this appears to be the high pressure pump... perhaps was from becoming highly pressurized over and over again during hours of star diagnostics. Key on, key off, key on... Also I have "Convenience Power not available" malfunction even though battery was disconnected and the edu has been out for almost a week in the mail, I have it on a charger now, but I may also need to replace the front battery for the SBC.

So I'm at about $1550 with new front SAM, new OEM MBZ Battery, used ESP, Refurbed ECU, just to get it running. In dealer dollars, its probably $4000+ worth of stuff and labor. Now I plan on fixing high pressure pump area leak, dropping the trans pan, replacing trans filter and fluid, perhaps cleaning conductor plate, and diagnosing what I think to be a sticky lock up solenoid, replacing leaking electrical connector, replacing motor and trans mounts, installing my new glow plugs, and maybe a couple other things while its up on stands.

I'm mosdef looking forward to feeling the new motor mounts, mine appear pretty abused with 180K/mi on the clock. I think it'll make a reasonable difference in shifting and handling comfort. But before that, I now have to deal with a fuel leak, which to be honest may have started some time ago, i have smelled a little diesel from time to time although no leaking was previously observed (from there, I have had some leaky injectors, two new injectors so far and 1 injector seal, the injector was ok so I put a new seal on it and put it back in, so far so good), but now this one may be showing itself from being pressurized so many times I'm guessing. Grrr.
Attached Thumbnails ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7321.jpg   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7008.jpg   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7319.jpg   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7110.jpg   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7106.jpg  

ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7117.jpg   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7111.jpg   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-img_7105.jpg  

Last edited by wwwerrrt; 11-12-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
e320
super sorry to hear about your car

that is a hell of a long and expensive list of stuff

hope you get it running good soon

i think the car is very lucky to have you lol
you sound very qualified to work on it!

good info to know about the ecu stuff

good luck and keep us up to date on how it is coming along
Old 06-15-2016, 11:01 AM

2006 Chrysler 300 Touring
Hey, I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 touring. Okay, it's been having problems starting for about two months. It would turn but not crank maybe once or twice a week, after letting it sit for a about for about 15 minutes then it'll crank. But two days ago it did it and I had to get a jump-off for it to start, so the next day I go and buy a NEW BATTERY and it crunk up for maybe 30 minutes and the ESP BAS lights were on. Then I turn the car off and tried to crank it back up and it wouldn't start but the lights were still. After trying to crank a few more times the car completely shut down. Will someone PLEASE HELP ME FIND OUT HOW TO FIX THIS.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
If only there was a forum dedicated to the Chrysler 300 like this one is dedicated to the Mercedes W211...
Old 08-16-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI, 2011 ML350 4Matic
Cheap fix for my ESP Malfunction Visit Workshop no start

Ok for a month now only when the car is hot I've been getting the ESP Malfunction and the car won't crank at all. (05 E320 CDI) Also getting red battery warning visit workshop also sometimes with it. Had it towed home the very first time cause I thought it was the starter maybe But when it cools down or I wait till morning which I've had to do leaving it in various parking lots it starts right up. Starts 10 times in a row in the garage but take it somewhere and no start when you need it. It seems the symptoms were there a few months ago when I'd turn the key it wouldnt start at first, then turn it back and try again or hold it in start position and it would crank. Anyway took it to the dealer for a diagnosis. They couldn't get it to fail once and said no fault codes recorded. Drove it home and same thing a day later. Been reading this post and wondering about SAM Module so I got a can of air at Staples (kind for blowing computers off) If you hold the can of air upside down it blows out super cold so I waited till it wouldnt start and got in the electrical box and gave the front SAM a good long cold blast. Kind of hard to get just the aluminum so it pretty much cooled everything in the box. STARTED RIGHT UP. So I've been carrying a can around in my back seat for a few days. But today it wouldnt start again after cooling and restarting a few times. My brother was with me so I had him tap on the relays in the box one at time while I held in start position. This relay (see Pic) when tapped on made it crank right up. I had a couple of these relays in my tool box so I replaced it and Ive been driving it around all day with now issues so far. I think it fixed it. Ordered a new one off Amazon for 8 bucks (Auto parts store wanted 45 for it) just to make sure this one I have in isnt old. There's a Benz part # of A 002 542 13 19 and a Hella # of 4RA 007 791-00 in case you cant see it in the pic. Hope this helps someone. I'll update this in a few weeks to let you know if it still working fine.
Attached Thumbnails ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-cdi-ebox.png   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-cdirelay.png   ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-relay.jpg  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Engine relay if, in fact, your problem.
Attached Thumbnails ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE-capture.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM

2006 w211 e350 4matic
Display Malfunction / Visit Workshop: Car would not restart

Jettskiman, Does the replacement of the relay seem to have fixed your issue?

I had a similar issue 2 weeks ago: 06 e350, 118,000 miles. Driving on a 240 mile trip. About 210 miles into trip pullover to get some ice for the cooler, get back on the road and within a couple of miles get the following in white (no red warnings, just white) on the display "display malfunction, visit workshop" at the same time the entire display goes ballistic (i) speedometer fluctuating wildly; (ii) esp, abs, coolant, etc. errors (all in white in center screen 6 or 7 faults in total; and (iii) coolant temperature and other gauges going up and down. Basically a poltergeist type scenario. Car appears to be driving fine, but it is a little disconcerting driving with all of this action in the dashboard. So, I pull over at next gas station, park in a spot where I know I can leave the car if it won't restart, turn off the car with hopes of clearing all the malfunctions in display, and, of course, car will not turn over.

Right next door there is an auto repair shop, one of the employees comes over and tests both batteries, they are good. Puts his snap on brand diagnostic tool into the port and not detecting any faults. Disconnect main battery for 20 min, reconnect, try to start - no luck. Friends come pick us up, leave the car for the night. No sign of water or corrosion in either front or rear SAMs, or in battery compartment section of trunk. (we did drive through a phenomenal rain storm so I was concerned that water got somewhere and shorted something out - but that does not appear to be the case).

Go back the next morning, car starts right away. Drive it to local Mercedes dealer, they look at it, don't find any specific codes that point them to the source of problem. They do find some sort of low voltage codes (I don't know whether those were recent or old - I have replaced the auxiliary battery twice since 2011 - so maybe those are old codes related to that or maybe they were codes related to the display incident? I don't know). Anyways, Mercedes is not certain what the problem is but recommends replacing alternator. I read a couple things about regulators going bad and some comparable but not identical display issues and authorize the replacement of alternator (pricey! but i did not have much of a choice). Drive car back to home - 210 miles. No problems. I have ordered the engine and chassis relays in Konigstiger's diagram and will replace those as an added measure in case one of those is going bad and is causing the issue.

Any other thoughts as to whether the issue has been properly diagnosed and fixed? Or what else I should do to ensure that this does not happen again? Much appreciated.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:30 PM

Update:

The relay seems to have fixed it accept for one time I drove about 160 miles round trip to the airport and when I shut it off it wouldnt start for a second. I popped the hood and was gonna look in the box to wiggle the relay but I tried it again and it happen to start without touching anything. I never did replace the used one that I put in because the one I ordered from Amazon was the wrong relay. I am still going to get one from the Dealer but have been putting it off cause this old one I snagged out of the wrecking yard has been working fine. I almost suspect the port that the relay plugs into possibly also. It doesnt seem real tight when plugging it in. If you take it out and plug it back in or tap on it while someone tries cranking the car it should start.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E350 RWD SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Originally Posted by jettskiman
There's a Benz part # of A 002 542 13 19 and a Hella # of 4RA 007 791-00.
I purchased one from MB dealer two months ago for $25 and replaced by A 002 524 7219. The original one made by Tyco from Portugal and the new one made by Hella from China.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:16 PM

Update #2

Ok its been starting fine for a month or so now but acting up again. I now have mastered the art of: with the window rolled down, reaching in and turning the key to start with one hand and lightly tapping the relay with the handle of a long screwdriver which I keep in my door. It starts doing that every time and sometimes continues to start for a couple of days or weeks until it does it again. I suspect the SAM module that the relay is in. I took it completely out of the car and looked it over for a cold solder joint with a magnifying glass. It kind of looked like the 4 pins connecting to the lugs on this relay were bad so I put a little tin on them. Made no difference. I'm making an appointment at the dealer to see if they can fix it this time. Tired of getting out in the rain, taking the cover off the box and tapping on it when I need to get home. Its puzzling that I barely have to tap on the engine relay to get it to go. Sometimes taping the side seems to work better. I did pinch the lugs tighter together and clean them with some fine sand paper when I had the SAM out. Cant replace the sam with a pulled one because it has to be updated to match mine with Star I guess. I do see a lot of them of sale on Ebay though. Tempted to try one because I bet it gonna be expensive if that's what it is. I'll post another update when dealer gets done with it.
The following users liked this post:
nivram13 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 12:15 PM

W211 E320 ,05
Originally Posted by jettskiman
Ok its been starting fine for a month or so now but acting up again. I now have mastered the art of: with the window rolled down, reaching in and turning the key to start with one hand and lightly tapping the relay with the handle of a long screwdriver which I keep in my door. It starts doing that every time and sometimes continues to start for a couple of days or weeks until it does it again. I suspect the SAM module that the relay is in. I took it completely out of the car and looked it over for a cold solder joint with a magnifying glass. It kind of looked like the 4 pins connecting to the lugs on this relay were bad so I put a little tin on them. Made no difference. I'm making an appointment at the dealer to see if they can fix it this time. Tired of getting out in the rain, taking the cover off the box and tapping on it when I need to get home. Its puzzling that I barely have to tap on the engine relay to get it to go. Sometimes taping the side seems to work better. I did pinch the lugs tighter together and clean them with some fine sand paper when I had the SAM out. Cant replace the sam with a pulled one because it has to be updated to match mine with Star I guess. I do see a lot of them of sale on Ebay though. Tempted to try one because I bet it gonna be expensive if that's what it is. I'll post another update when dealer gets done with it.
Hi I have now with my W211 E320 ,05 the same problem!
In beginning it was just like one time in month can`t start.. later more and more that problem:

When engine warm up and after then stop somewhere like gas station ... after can`t start anymore.
I realize when i can`t start engine (not turning starter) also glow plug light not come on! and when engine cool down i can start engine again.

I contact with one guy who working lot with Mercedes and he told me he know the problem. it is Engine ECU hardware problem. He already fix that many w211.

So i send mine engine ECU to him.

I will let know if i will resolve my problem!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:51 AM

W211 E320 ,05
My problem SOLVED

Today i received back Engine ECU and no more problems!
it was a Engine ECU problem!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ESP malfunction, won't start no idea, DESPERATE