E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need help with xenon low beam problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Need help with xenon low beam problem

The passenger side xenon low beam is out and I went to the dealer thinking it was a burnt-out bulb problem. The service rep came back with the headlamp ignition module from my car and explained it was damaged. Now... he told me that "unfortunately" I have to replace the whole headlight assembly and quoted me $2,000 parts ($1,700) and labor (2.5 hr). Knowing nothing about the headlight assembly, I made an appointment.

After I came back home, I googled "headlight assembly" for my car and found out that I could get a brand new OEM replacement for $660 from autohausAZ or simlar. Also local mechanics would replace it for less than half the MB labor cost.

Now... here is my question. Hope someone could please help me. Now knowing a tiny bit about the architecture of the headlight assembly, I was wondering what kind of damage is necessary to replace the whole assembly?? The assembly seems straightforward -- power connector to igniter to xenon bulb. Why can't I just replace the damaged igniter? I am not 100% sure but the service rep might have told me that the part is not available separately... but I found Hella 5DD 008 319-10 OEM replacement igniter available for $100 or so.

Thanks!!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 AM

C300. FJ Cruiser, 370Z
Originally Posted by bienci
The passenger side xenon low beam is out and I went to the dealer thinking it was a burnt-out bulb problem. The service rep came back with the headlamp ignition module from my car and explained it was damaged. Now... he told me that "unfortunately" I have to replace the whole headlight assembly and quoted me $2,000 parts ($1,700) and labor (2.5 hr). Knowing nothing about the headlight assembly, I made an appointment.

After I came back home, I googled "headlight assembly" for my car and found out that I could get a brand new OEM replacement for $660 from autohausAZ or simlar. Also local mechanics would replace it for less than half the MB labor cost.

Now... here is my question. Hope someone could please help me. Now knowing a tiny bit about the architecture of the headlight assembly, I was wondering what kind of damage is necessary to replace the whole assembly?? The assembly seems straightforward -- power connector to igniter to xenon bulb. Why can't I just replace the damaged igniter? I am not 100% sure but the service rep might have told me that the part is not available separately... but I found Hella 5DD 008 319-10 OEM replacement igniter available for $100 or so.

Thanks!!
Did you try replacing the bulb first? I have the same problem and the MB dealer said they same thing. If the bulb is not the culprit, try replacing just the igniter. In my case, the bulb was the problem. I bought the igniter off eBay and it didn't work at first but when I replaced the bulbs, it worked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

That's BS if they are asking you to change the whole assembly. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 AM

2006 E500 4matic wagon
Swap bulbs between headlights to test for bulb failure. You'll be able to tell quickly if its the bulb or ballast/igniter. $2000 is insanity unless the headlight assembly is damaged/smashed/cracked.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 AM

E320
Thank you so much for your replies. I will get an igniter and try swapping bulbs to see if that's going to solve the problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
BE VERY CAREFUL.. VERY HIGH VOLTAGE. Heed any warnings on the outside of the headlamp assembly.

This is quoted from the service manual.

DANGER:
  • Danger from Xenon headlamp high voltage
  • Do not touch parts which conduct high voltages. Persons with active electronic implants (e.g.heart pacemakers) should never work on xenon headlamps.