E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Headlight bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 E350 Sport (gone) 2012 E350 (gone ) 2014 E63s ( gone ) 2016 E63S Diamond white 2019 E63s AMG
Headlight bulb replacement

I'm not sure if there is any other posts about this.
My drivers side low beam burned out, so I opened the plastic cover pulled out the bulb replaced it with a new one, but I can't lock it in place. There is just not enough room to move the hand around. Is there any specific way you have to lign up the bulb?
if anyone has any info please let me know

Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by odessit
My drivers side low beam burned out, so I opened the plastic cover pulled out the bulb replaced it with a new one, but I can't lock it in place. There is just not enough room to move the hand around. Is there any specific way you have to lign up the bulb?

Thanks
Have not done a W211 but I did my wife's C320 and it was a bear. If it is the spring clip it just takes a lot of contortion with the hand -- Try to get one side in and the work the other if need be with a screw driver to move it into the slot.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211
Originally Posted by odessit

Thanks
Just remove the 1-screw that holds the coolant tank. Then lift up the tank to the side without removing the small hose that is attached. Then you will have plenty of room to instal the bulb.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 4M
Horrible design...even with the rad overflow removed it took me an hour to get the Xenon low beam bulb installed. Basically, I gave up on the retaining clip since it popped off and my "normal size" hands could not reinstall it again. I just installed the bulb on the bulb holder first and then pushed and twisted into place the bulb holder. I really do not see any real need for the retaining clip since the bulb holder twists securely into place and locks the bulb in place. I also replaced the passenger side in 15 min. without issue and with the retaining clip in place. Good luck.