E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What did you do for your W211 today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

I did the transmission fluid / filter over the weekend. Drained about 4qts from the oil pan, then around 4qts from the torque converter. I ended up putting in 9qts then once it got up to the proper temp via STAR I drained off the excess. Was not a bad process at all.
I also changed out the rear diff fluid. Both my trans fluid and rear diff fluid were quite dirty. I had about 60k miles on the MB and to my knowledge prior owner did not change the fluids. MB recommends doing the trans ever 40k. So I am glad I did it honestly. The shifts are MUCH smoother now. Zero issues with upshifts/downshift. Prior, I had a small hard 2nd gear shift, that's all but gone now. I might even get a slight bump in MPG due to the weight change of the rear diff fluid since MB superseded what they used to use with newer stuff..

This thread has ALL the info one would need to do this:
DIY 722.9 7G-tronic 7-speed automatic transmission service thread - MBWorld.org Forums

Draining fluid from the torque converter. What a stupid freaking place the drain plug is... damn thing was filling up that recessed area so I took a straw and put it in the hole to drain. MUCH cleaner that way. This is the straw I put into the TC hole. Made draining much cleaner and fluid wasn't collecting in the bell housing.

You can clearly see the fluid is not cherry red. It's brown. Not burned and it doesn't smell burned but definitely needed changed.

Here is the color of the fluid that I removed. It was brown.

Compare it to the new fluid on the right. (note it still looks dark but the white rag I was using wasn't spotless... I was wiping other stuff up with it.)

Thanks much,
-Nigel
The following 2 users liked this post by NewShockerGuy:
2MERKS (06-29-2021), robbieas (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
I did the transmission fluid / filter over the weekend. Drained about 4qts from the oil pan, then around 4qts from the torque converter. I ended up putting in 9qts then once it got up to the proper temp via STAR I drained off the excess. Was not a bad process at all.
I also changed out the rear diff fluid. Both my trans fluid and rear diff fluid were quite dirty. I had about 60k miles on the MB and to my knowledge prior owner did not change the fluids. MB recommends doing the trans ever 40k. So I am glad I did it honestly. The shifts are MUCH smoother now. Zero issues with upshifts/downshift. Prior, I had a small hard 2nd gear shift, that's all but gone now. I might even get a slight bump in MPG due to the weight change of the rear diff fluid since MB superseded what they used to use with newer stuff..

This thread has ALL the info one would need to do this:
DIY 722.9 7G-tronic 7-speed automatic transmission service thread - MBWorld.org Forums

Draining fluid from the torque converter. What a stupid freaking place the drain plug is... damn thing was filling up that recessed area so I took a straw and put it in the hole to drain. MUCH cleaner that way. This is the straw I put into the TC hole. Made draining much cleaner and fluid wasn't collecting in the bell housing.

You can clearly see the fluid is not cherry red. It's brown. Not burned and it doesn't smell burned but definitely needed changed.

Here is the color of the fluid that I removed. It was brown.

Compare it to the new fluid on the right. (note it still looks dark but the white rag I was using wasn't spotless... I was wiping other stuff up with it.)

Thanks much,
-Nigel
FYI..
Awesome write up, but be on the lookout in about two weeks of the oil sensor leak. I say this because I just had my rear/front and xfer case fluids flushed, then I noticed small drips of clean fluid, but Indy stated it was my oil sensor.
R,
2MERKS
Old 07-01-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by 2MERKS
FYI..
Awesome write up, but be on the lookout in about two weeks of the oil sensor leak. I say this because I just had my rear/front and xfer case fluids flushed, then I noticed small drips of clean fluid, but Indy stated it was my oil sensor.
R,
2MERKS
Where would the oil sensor be and why did it leak? I didn't touch any sensors when doing this. Just the bell housing cover that has the bolt for the torque converter and then the removal of the pan. There are no sensors anywhere that I saw that would have even been touched.

-Nigel
Old 07-01-2021, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Where would the oil sensor be and why did it leak? I didn't touch any sensors when doing this. Just the bell housing cover that has the bolt for the torque converter and then the removal of the pan. There are no sensors anywhere that I saw that would have even been touched.

-Nigel
I was wondering the same..I took it back (2 weeks later) since that was the most recent svcs I had completed. Again, I noticed some fresh dripping that wasn't thier prior. Indy said the oil sensor was the problem. Never had a issue before. I just wanted to pass along what I experienced, but anyone else may or may not have. Just a "heads up".
Old 02-05-2023, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E320 CDI
I suppose I could come clean as to what I've been up to...

Second engine pull in less than a month! First engine pull was from my parts car and will going into this car (but will first have to drop this engine and trans- down to only the axle carrier bolts, six; then do a lot of cleaning and replacement of crusty bits). NOTE: just allowing that top radiator plate to float (hood release cable still attached); will only require a minor lift over top the engine once that is dropped.

Background: Heavily optioned 2005 E320 CDI came from Illinois/Michigan area (was garaged but) and has lots of corrosion on lots of things other than the body itself. Tried to pass on this car but ran across a local nearly twin 2006 (except not the key options I wanted) that was relatively cheap so I bought it for restoring this car. Discovered that the "I've been a Mercedes mechanic for 34 years" guy who worked on the 2005 is a monkey with a wrench and destroyed the head on the 2005 (GP hole mutilated; engine nonetheless ran extremely well). The engine in the 2006 showed clear signs of cleaning up really well (compression test showed good cylinder balance- it ran great; trans also operated flawlessly, which could not be said for the 2005) and once I'd pulled it and started cleaning it up a bit I decided to do a full swap: the 2006 engine and trans will match, in appearance, the interior and exterior of the 2005 (which shows extremely well).

I think that I've become fairly proficient at tearing these things apart. I really need now to be able to put them back together!
Old 02-06-2023, 12:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 cls 550
2009 E550 4Matic Amg Package

Got Boo All Clean
The following users liked this post:
RA030523 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 386 Likes on 322 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Post is a few months late, but;
Passed along my 2007 E350 Sport P2 to the father of a friend after replacing with a 2019 S450.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Post is a few months late, but;
Passed along my 2007 E350 Sport P2 to the father of a friend after replacing with a 2019 S450.
Very commendable thing to do!
R,
2Merks
Old 02-14-2023, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic
picked these up today! Gonna paint them gloss black before this Thursday. Thursday I’m doing my exhaust removing the resonators, adding the X pipe, J pipes and muffler delete then using these! Following the steps of another member i saw did this and mentioned it was the way to do it..so let’s try it! Super excited! Will post pictures once done and a video with my new GoPro!