E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

One side is lower than the other.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500 wagon
I have a 2005 E500 wagon not level

I have a 2005 E500 wagon and the left side is also very low and it looks terrible. I bought new new airbags or whatever the technical name is and I’m starting to wonder if that is the problem because it’s always the same and I rarely here the compressor kick on. It doesn’t seem to matter how long the car sits it’s always the same.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG, CLK 113K Swap. 2005 SL600
I have same issue I have a 2005 E 55 and I have a hissing sound coming out of the right rear wheel section when I try to air up my shocks. He used to be that they would area and then I can keep it up and it would not leak now completely Sam’s and won’t even lift up past to his sound my driver side used to air up but it doesn’t even go up now I replaced the triangle I guess module in the back that distributes the air I replaced the pump should I replace the computer also The front no longer goes back to normal position it just stays in the elevated position also .
Old 02-24-2019, 03:18 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by No1know
I have same issue I have a 2005 E 55 and I have a hissing sound coming out of the right rear wheel section when I try to air up my shocks. He used to be that they would area and then I can keep it up and it would not leak now completely Sam’s and won’t even lift up past to his sound my driver side used to air up but it doesn’t even go up now I replaced the triangle I guess module in the back that distributes the air I replaced the pump should I replace the computer also The front no longer goes back to normal position it just stays in the elevated position also .
you need to take it to a shop and have them run tests on it to find the leak man.. Dont just keep throwing parts at it. Its likely a rear bag thats shot. But you should really have it hooked up.... the parts canon isnt always the answer.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E500 MBenz
Airmatic bag are going bad.

Originally Posted by rickyleb
Hi,
My rear suspension is about half an inch lower on rear passenger side than on rear driver side. I've look around today with soap and water, seems to me there is no leak is the hoses or anywhere. Anybody knows how to set or reset rear stabilising unit electronics ?
When I wake up every morning, the passenger rear side suspension is completely dropped. When I start the engine, it comes up in about 30 seconds.
Anyone has an idea what this can be ?
Thanks very much !

This is how the part looks on w211.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The trouble with troubleshooting is that all you can normally see is outer shields. When cracks on them indicate aging, there is no easy way to tell when the bag is bad.
Good scanner will have option of inflating 1 bag at the time, so giving it time you can see when it goes down.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350 Wagon
I know this is an old thread but maybe someone will answer.....
I have a 2006 E350 wagon which drives perfectly.
Yesterday i noticed that the passenger side, especially the rear, is very low...much lower than the driver side but the wheel is not touching anything and it still drives just like normal.
But looking at it I am not very happy.
1- Is it safe to drive, and if so...
2- I am due for an inspection and would it pass if it is driving normally despite one side lower than the other?
Old 03-23-2022, 04:03 PM

E350
Same problem

Originally Posted by rickyleb
Hi,
My rear suspension is about half an inch lower on rear passenger side than on rear driver side. I've look around today with soap and water, seems to me there is no leak is the hoses or anywhere. Anybody knows how to set or reset rear stabilising unit electronics ?
When I wake up every morning, the passenger rear side suspension is completely dropped. When I start the engine, it comes up in about 30 seconds.
Anyone has an idea what this can be ?
Thanks very much !
I was wondering if you figured out what it was. I’m having the same exact problem right now
Old 03-23-2022, 10:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG, CLK 113K Swap. 2005 SL600
Hello,

You do have a leak somewhere, this situation means that there is a leak and it is most likely the air bag, they are smaller then the front. If don't replace it, eventually your pump will go.

I almost guarantee it's the airbag. Have done any work to the suspension? If not its going to be the rear air shock.

I will look in the shop tomorrow, i might have one.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E500 wagon
I took a quick read through this thread. Everyone is going after the air bladders or the computer. I think there's an idea that I haven't seen mentioned. The rear end height sensor is attached to the rear swaybar. If you have one or both rear sway bar links with bad bushings or broken, it has no possibility to level properly. All the rear link bushings are also important. Rear subframe bushings could be bad as well.

The sway bar bushings going bad could be responsible as well.

Last edited by amosfella; 03-29-2022 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sergey84 (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:49 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
W140, CLS55, SL65
Originally Posted by amosfella
I took a quick read through this thread. Everyone is going after the air bladders or the computer. I think there's an idea that I haven't seen mentioned. The rear end height sensor is attached to the rear swaybar. If you have one or both rear sway bar links with bad bushings or broken, it has no possibility to level properly. All the rear link bushings are also important. Rear subframe bushings could be bad as well.

The sway bar bushings going bad could be responsible as well.
Interesting observation. I noticed my CLS55 which I guess has the same internals as E55 or other E-Class with Airmatic started doing this: when you park and lock the car via remote, it lowers it down (I think it's normal), but left rear wheel is lower that the right one by at least an inch. When I start the car it raises the suspension, but I don't know what's going on there when I'm driving it. There are no errors on the dash, no messages like "stop the car...". I wonder if those bad bushings or leaking strut should cause some codes to be stored in the system? I didn't check it yet though...
Old 12-04-2022, 01:32 PM

E350 4matic
Hi all, my 2006 e350 wagon with rear air suspension only is tilting to one side. The passenger side sits 1/2 inch lower than the driver side. This problem still persists after replacing both rear air springs with new arnott parts. So I am at a loss as to what to do. Any insight from you guys?
Old 02-04-2023, 04:04 PM

E-350 - Wagon - 2008
This may be a NB and a stupid question.
I have the same problem, my 2008 E350 Wagon is leaking air from rear leveling suspension. And during cold winter months, it lowers (mostly on the right side).
Not sure where there is a leak, but there IS a leak.

Can I just add a bit of stop leak fluid into the system?
Something like ATP-205 that typically seals rubber hoses and o-rings.
This:
Amazon Amazon

Would this work?
If so, where (in this system) would I add the fluid.
If so, are there any problems that it can cause?

Has anyone tried this? Sounds like a no-brainer but I am sure there must be a reason no one has suggested it yet.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2023, 04:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by online789
Not sure where there is a leak, but there IS a leak. Can I just add a bit of stop leak fluid into the system?
No, see attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
leaks.pdf (340.0 KB, 115 views)
engine paneling.pdf (110.0 KB, 58 views)
rear seat cushion.pdf (124.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-04-2023, 07:15 PM

E-350 - Wagon - 2008
Thanks for these instructions.
So, you are saying that the place to check is under the back seats.
Doesn't this assume that the leak is NOT in the airbag/airspring?
Since only one side is tilting, my sense is that the compressor (and the rest of central control) are okay.
With that said, if left for a while, both sides become low.

Let me know your thoughts please.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Soap test lines to compressor, distributor, and right strut.
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (02-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2024, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jamie827
Hi all, my 2006 e350 wagon with rear air suspension only is tilting to one side. The passenger side sits 1/2 inch lower than the driver side. This problem still persists after replacing both rear air springs with new arnott parts. So I am at a loss as to what to do. Any insight from you guys?
I know it’s been a while but I just did the same thing with my cls55..arnott springs just replaced in back both sides..rear passenger sits about an inch maybe more lower when car is off and when on..when I raise the height higher in cabin with button, appears to be even when car is on and when I park

did you figure out the cause?? I also am hearing a clicking sound now in the back rear when pumping up as well as deflating, but it’s never slammed to the ground or anything