Interior Door Lock/knob problem when locking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500 2004
Interior Door Lock/knob problem when locking

Hi,

I have a problem with my interior locks (the black plastic vertical knobs on the top of the interior door panel that go up and down to open to lock the door).

When I hit the interior lock buttom, two of these knobs jump up and down for a couple of seconds then stop but don't lock. You hear "dit-dit-dit-dit-dit-dit" as the two locks jump up and down trying to lock. But they don't lock. They stay up.

The other two locks/knobs are fine.

It used to only be a problem with one of the locks, and the dealership said it was an expensive internal locking mechanism motor fix.

Has anyone out there had this problem and fixed it? It doesn't look like anything is jammed up with the plastic knobs.

Since it was originally only one lock, and now has grown to two locks, I am assuming this is a common problem??? Help....

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Did you search first? This is a common issue. It may just be the rubber boot on the actuator arm that has collapsed and is binding. This causes the rapid fire issue. You will need to take off the door panel to pull the boot back into the proper shape and lube it. Worst case is your MB tech is right and you need a new actuator. I have had this issue twice now and it has only been the collapsed boot, which is an easy fix.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by Todds911
Hi,

I have a problem with my interior locks (the black plastic vertical knobs on the top of the interior door panel that go up and down to open to lock the door).

When I hit the interior lock buttom, two of these knobs jump up and down for a couple of seconds then stop but don't lock. You hear "dit-dit-dit-dit-dit-dit" as the two locks jump up and down trying to lock. But they don't lock. They stay up.

The other two locks/knobs are fine.

It used to only be a problem with one of the locks, and the dealership said it was an expensive internal locking mechanism motor fix.

Has anyone out there had this problem and fixed it? It doesn't look like anything is jammed up with the plastic knobs.

Since it was originally only one lock, and now has grown to two locks, I am assuming this is a common problem??? Help....

Thanks!
Had the same problem with my 06 E320 CDI. I unscrewed the lock plunger (the black plastic vertical knobs) and wiped it with either some WD40 or Silicone spray lubricate and then filled the inside where the threads are and then reinstalled the plunger. That fixed my problem. Not sure how long it will last but it has been working find for about a month. Apparently there is a rubber boot that surrounds the rod down near the lock actuator and it get twisted or malformed and the lube releaves the tension. Give it a try -- can't hurt and it a lot cheaper than the $400 plus the dealer will want for repair.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500 2004
ok thanks. Did not search first. I should have.

Now I will search for how to remove door panel.

thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
See post 2 & 7 https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...e320-w211.html