E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

To ELWor not to ELW?, That is the question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E350
To ELWor not to ELW?, That is the question.

Let's beat this dead horse again.

2007 E350 w/Sports package, 27,575 miles.

Should I get the Extended Limited Warranty? I need to decide by Tuesday!

Here's my story:

This is my first MB, only BMW's so far. I'm 45 and decided to experiment. Like the peace of mind ELW's offer, but never had them on my BMW's and thinking back I would have lost money if I did. With that said, here are some facts that apply to my decision.

Purchased the car with exactly 1 year of new car warranty left and in that year I have been able to fix under warranty most of the common problems that this MY has including: CAM sensors placed, CAM plugs replaced, slanted heater box installed and A/C system cleaned to get rid of A/C system smell, steering angle replaced. Also, I have made sure my car is not involved in any of the DTB's such as the soft metal gear sprocket issue, etc.

I knew the first owner, and have a fairly complete history of the cars maintenance, which is all good.

The way I see it, other than an unlikely transmission issue or major engine melt down, it looks like the the biggest problem I am most likely to face is the front suspension replacement as it ages. Seems like the ball joints (upper and lower) fail like clock work at about 60-70K miles. But I doubt the front suspension will fail on me, since I will have only 40k miles approximately, but who knows.

In the year I've owned it I have driven less than 5,000 miles and that was only due to 2 unexpected long trips. Normally I would have taken one of my other cars but family members were in town and using them. At most, over the next 3 years I would be hard pressed to put more than 12,000 miles (only 4,000/year). With 27,500 miles on it now, that would put me at 39,500. Easy miles! Only I drive this car! And I tend to over maintain and baby my vehicles, even the 911.

So as it turns out, in Florida the dealers have to sell the ELW at MSRP which for me and my model MB is $3,695 for the 7/75K option. I have contacted some of the out of state dealers and the price I was able to get is close to $3,000. Due to this lower price I am more tempted to get it. But with the details I listed, and, keeping in mind I will probably only put at most 12,000 miles on this car over the next 3 years (which is when the ELW would be in effect), I feel somewhat comfortable skipping the ELW. Then it's just a matter of hoping $3,000 would cover any repairs should they arise.

If I were driving 10-20K miles a year (30-60K miles over the next 3 years), I would absolutely purchase the ELW, absolutely, even at $3,695. But $3,000 makes it more tempting, only $1,000/year.

What do you guys think? I'm new to MB. Looking for opinions. Also, it's not really the $$'s. 3 grand doesn't change my life, I'm just want to see where you guys fall given my circumstances, where the smart money goes...in the bank or in MB's pockets.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E63s
with the way you use the car, I would not get the warranty.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
It only for peace of mind, but a Grand is not gonna cover any sort of real repair on our cars. I have an '07 E550, that has never given me any "trouble", but has already had engine & trans mounts replaced along with a couple of other things that didn't upset me because the car was still under warranty untill last Feb 28th. I got into a loaner & that was all for a day or two.

I'm generally a conservative, risk averse guy, and I wouldn't own one of these cars without an extended warranty. Granted, my car has the air suspension, but still...

In your case it all boils down to how much you'd miss the money spent on the agreement. No one likes to waste money, but the again... aren't these cars an extravigance? Remember, the electronics in these things are overwrought and overthought with layers of clumsy complexity... If you can write the check & not look back, I'd get it... and then just enjoy the car.

...and yeah. Since most of the MB dealers are owned down here in SoFla by one company, there is no independance. Prices are set at the main office. There's no competition between them on any item of sales or service.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 AM

2007 E350
good indy shjop in our area

Barry,

What indy shop is at the top of your list here in our area? I use a couple around the Dania area for my BMW's. I'm in Aventura.

I'm leaning towards getting the ELW. I think you have to take the desire to beat the odds out of the equation. If I'm able to write the check and not think twice about it (which I am), then it makes sense. Owning 3 cars and 2 of them being convertible sports cars, I tend to always drive them. I just keep the E350 as my large sedan for those times when you need to haul friends and family around. Which for me is not to often for me, but gotta have it. It's like living near the ocean, which is a must for me, but I never go. Like my swimming pool at my house up North, must have it, hardly use it, but it's there when I need it.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:00 PM

2007 E350
mileage

Forgot to ask, how many miles on your E550?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:21 PM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Last summer I purchased by phone an after-market EW for my SL500 from this source: extended-warranty-pro.com
This is thru a Chrylser dealer in Michigan and it's for the Chrysler Service Contract Max Care program. While CSC no longer issues EWs for SLs, I believe they're still issuing them for the E-class.
My EW was for 5 additional yrs and 70,000 additional miles for under $2700 with a $200 deductible. $0 and $100 deductibles were also available.
I just had $2000 worth of EW work done on the SL two weeks ago by my dealer; no problems no hassles.
You may want to check them out.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Fusion
Exclamation The Smart Money Is With autoPOM, Backed by Mercury

Originally Posted by rolex11
Let's beat this dead horse again.

2007 E350 w/Sports package, 27,575 miles.

Should I get the Extended Limited Warranty? I need to decide by Tuesday!

If I were driving 10-20K miles a year (30-60K miles over the next 3 years), I would absolutely purchase the ELW, absolutely, even at $3,695. But $3,000 makes it more tempting, only $1,000/year.

What do you guys think? I'm new to MB. Looking for opinions. Also, it's not really the $$'s. 3 grand doesn't change my life, I'm just want to see where you guys fall given my circumstances, where the smart money goes...in the bank or in MB's pockets.

Thanks in advance.
Considering the low miles that you drive annually, I would recommend our 60 Months / 60,000 Mile Platinum coverage for $2620 (we also have payment plans with no interest). Our 'Platinum' coverage is 'named exclusion' coverage and is commonly referred to as bumper-to-bumper. There is a $100 deductible per occurrence. You can take your MB to any licensed repair facility in the US or Canada. The repair facility is paid directly by credit card.

We're autoPOM! Our mechanical breakdown protection plans are backed and administered by Mercury Insurance Group. They are designed to provide comparable extended coverage offered by the manufacturer.

See all features and benefits here...

http://www.extended-vehicle-warranty...-warranty.html

Mike

Old 05-21-2011, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by rolex11
Barry,

What indy shop is at the top of your list here in our area? I use a couple around the Dania area for my BMW's. I'm in Aventura.

I'm leaning towards getting the ELW. I think you have to take the desire to beat the odds out of the equation. If I'm able to write the check and not think twice about it (which I am), then it makes sense. Owning 3 cars and 2 of them being convertible sports cars, I tend to always drive them. I just keep the E350 as my large sedan for those times when you need to haul friends and family around. Which for me is not to often for me, but gotta have it. It's like living near the ocean, which is a must for me, but I never go. Like my swimming pool at my house up North, must have it, hardly use it, but it's there when I need it.
Don't have an indy shop. We only became year round residents in Hallandale (on A1A) a year ago. My car just went off factory warranty Feb 28 & is now on its extended warranty, so for 1 oil change a year & occaisional brakes, I just go to the dealer. Off the top of my head I'd say I've got 40K on the odometer.

This car's been so good, I'm sorry I only extended the warranty only by 2 years instead of 3. I plan on keeping the car untill it starts costing me money. Wife's car is a BMW 128i Conv, so my car is not used as heavilly as it was before she got hers.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 PM

2007 E350
question for those in the know...

I was wondering about this scenario...let's a person buys a Mercedes new from the dealer. Opts to purchase the MB ELW at time of purchase.

Then three years later, decides to sell the car, so he cancels the MB ELW, and gets the purchase price returned to him.

This person then sells the car in a private sale.

First question is: Could the person who purchased this vehicle from the original owner find out from a MB dealership or MBUSA that the original owner purchased the MB ELW and then cancelled it? And would this effect his ability to purchase the MB ELW before the 4yr/50K mile NewCar Warranty expired in the next year?

Second question: Let's say the original purchaser never cancelled the MB ELW. Sold the car, forgetting the MB ELW was purchased when they first bought it. Would the person who purchased it have the MB ELW intact, or does there need to be some forms sign showing a transfer at the time of sale. Or could the second purchaser just contact the original owner (if possible) and have it transferred.

I bring this up because I purchased my car in a private sale from an older couple. Sadly the husband passed and the car was sold to me. The wife had no paperwork whatsoever. I'm just wondering if an MB ELW might have been purchased when he bought it and I don't know about it.

So I guess my last question would be. Is this scenario even possible? If so, would it be safe to assume that dealership where I have it serviced would be aware it has a MB ELW on it, and would have informed me.

Maybe this is a stupid set of questions. Don't know.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Laws governing the ELW contract between you and MBUSA vary State to State. I've had 2 contracts over the years, one bought in PA in 2004, and one bought in FL in 2007.

Both booklets say that the contract can be cancelled in the 1st 30 days only.

Also, in states where you can cancell your contract. you should know that the contract and the mfg's warranty run concurrently, and that when you cancel it any refund is prorated from the issue date. You don't get back a whole lot.

If you transfer the contract at the time of a private sale, forms need to be filled out. I believe there is also a fee the buyer must pay. (I read the contract a long time ago.)
Old 05-21-2011, 11:51 PM

2007 E350
Pretty sure the New Car Warranty and the MB ELW do not run concurrently. The MB ELW starts at end of MB NCW. A lot of evidence here on the forum from many posters say MB ELW can be cancelled an time before MB NCW expires. As the MB ELW ages , it can be cancelled and pro rated discount given. Pro rated discount minus any payouts. Let's say you have a $4,000 payout in the first few months of the MB ELW, if you paid $3,500, when you cancelled it they would pro rate it, lets say that pro rating is 3,300 dollars refund. They would then deduct any payouts, in this case $4,000, so your refund is $0. So once you have payouts totaling pretty much what you paid, it makes no sense to cancel it.

I am no expert, in fact, I'm quite new to MB. I am just repeating what a lot of others are saying. Barry you may be right.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 PM

2007 E350
MB Extended Limited Warranty

I want to thank those of you who responded and tried to help in my effort in deciding if I should purchase a MB ELW. My MB New Car Warranty expires tomorrow. I made the decision to purchase the 7yr/75K MB ELW.

Here in Florida the State requires the MB Dealership to sell the ELW at MSRP, they can not sell it at a discount. However, you can purchase the MB ELW from any dealership in the country outside of Florida and negotiate. I contacted several dealerships in the last few weeks. I would like to acknowledge the following:

Tim Sorrick
Modesto European
209-550-8225
tsorrick@modestoeuropean.com

Tim treated me with the utmost professionalism from start to finish. He and I communicated by email. Each of my many email correspondences to Tim over the course of the last 2 weeks were returned within minutes. It all ended with a ten minute phone call with Tim confirming my information and a credit card number.

Many others on various forums have spoken highly of Tim. I join them in recommending him. Expect outstanding service, accurate information, and a very friendly low key sales process along with great prices.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM

None yet
Similar situation...

08 E350 with 30K miles. I drive about 8K miles per year. CPO warranty goes to early 2013. 2 more years of warranty would cost me $1700. Should I get it?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 AM

2007 E350
absolutely yes

negotiate like hell and get the best price, but YES, do get the MB ELW for as many years as possible. Then drive it like you stole it with Peace of Mind.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM

School bus
For what it's worth, I picked up a '07 with 40K miles CPO, bought the whatever extended warranty you call it for an additional 2.2K bucks, now with the CPO and 2 additional yrs/135K mile warranty, got one less thing to worry about it with life...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM

2007 E350
teachable moment.....

ELW = Extended Limited Warranty.

MB's official name for the manufacturer warranty you purchase to extend your NCW (New Car Warranty).
Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GT3, GTR, 570S
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Laws governing the ELW contract between you and MBUSA vary State to State. I've had 2 contracts over the years, one bought in PA in 2004, and one bought in FL in 2007.

Both booklets say that the contract can be cancelled in the 1st 30 days only.

Also, in states where you can cancell your contract. you should know that the contract and the mfg's warranty run concurrently, and that when you cancel it any refund is prorated from the issue date. You don't get back a whole lot.

If you transfer the contract at the time of a private sale, forms need to be filled out. I believe there is also a fee the buyer must pay. (I read the contract a long time ago.)
i believe if the ELW is cancelled before the maufacturers 4yr/50k warranty expires, a full refund is due back to you.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i believe if the ELW is cancelled before the maufacturers 4yr/50k warranty expires, a full refund is due back to you.
Correct. And after that it is pro-rated as time passes, minus any payouts that were made. So if in the first year let's say you paid $3,600 for the ELW and you had a claim for $3,800. If you wanted to cancel the ELW it wouldn't make sense because they would pro-rate the refund for the month that passed, then subtract any payments made, which in this case is $3,800, so your refund would be $0.00. So unless your payouts are very small it is never a good idea to cancel it for a refund.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
FWIW since buying my 2007 E550 in November, I've had about $4K of repairs covered by the warranty so far.

Love the car but I'm very glad that I bought the extended warranty!