E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bluetec starting in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 C320 4matic Wagon (sold), "07 E320 Bluetec (sold), '15 E350 4Matic(sold),'14 E550 convertible
Bluetec starting in 1st gear

I've done several searches on this subject and gotten conflicting info. When in "C" mode is the 7G transmission for the Blutec supposed to star out in 1st?

The manual, which is non-Bluetec specific, states that the car should start out in 2nd gear when in "C" mode, however several posts here suggest that Blutecs always start in 1st.

Does anyone know for sure which it is?

Is there a full proof test to indicate which gear it's stating in? So far I've tried accelerating very slowly in D until I felt the first shift and then flicking the shifter to the left once. The indicator on the dash went to 1 and the transmission down shifted and the revs went up.

This transmission behavior is causing some annoying driving characteristics. too much engine braking, when driving very slowly in stop and go traffic, and the dreaded "bump from behind" when coming to a complete stop.

So far I've had the dealer flash the tranny to no avail.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550
I have the exact same problem. Went to the dealer and they told me its a normal characteristic of the tranny because it's adaptive. Its constantly learning your driving style.
Sometimes my stop and go is smooth as can be, then all of a sudden it acts up again, lots of engine braking at low speed, in parking lots, etc, etc. He told me that i would have to speed up to let it shift gears... so, pretty much is, if u can speed up to a higher rpm before the stop sign, or light, car, or whatever, then it be smooth, else prepare for some engine braking before it. Doesn't make any sense to me at all... oh yeh, this happens in Economy mode, not sport. i can understand if it was Sport mode.

RPM is usually at 1 to 1200 at around 40mph, but i get 2k rpm...does this make sense to u on Economy. I will have video posted soon. oh, btw, i have a w212, not sure if w211 have adaptive trannies...

Last edited by Yosheego; 05-28-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:45 PM

2006 E320CDI
Both the 722.6 and 722.9 start in 2nd gear when in C mode. You can tell if you put it in C mode and try to start off quickly it will immediately downshift to 1st gear. With normal acceleration it starts in 2nd. Try counting the shifts.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 PM

'04 C320 4matic Wagon (sold), "07 E320 Bluetec (sold), '15 E350 4Matic(sold),'14 E550 convertible
Originally Posted by Yosheego
I have the exact same problem. Went to the dealer and they told me its a normal characteristic of the tranny because it's adaptive. Its constantly learning your driving style.
Sometimes my stop and go is smooth as can be, then all of a sudden it acts up again, lots of engine braking at low speed, in parking lots, etc, etc. He told me that i would have to speed up to let it shift gears... so, pretty much is, if u can speed up to a higher rpm before the stop sign, or light, car, or whatever, then it be smooth, else prepare for some engine braking before it. Doesn't make any sense to me at all... oh yeh, this happens in Economy mode, not sport. i can understand if it was Sport mode.

RPM is usually at 1 to 1200 at around 40mph, but i get 2k rpm...does this make sense to u on Economy. I will have video posted soon. oh, btw, i have a w212, not sure if w211 have adaptive trannies...
Those symptoms sound very familiar, and yes the w211s have the adaptive transmission. Since you're car is still under warranty I would be dogged about following up regarding this issue because what you describe does not sound like all's well.
Looking forward to seeing your video, but I was really interested in hearing from other bluetec owners.

Originally Posted by edwinwalke
Both the 722.6 and 722.9 start in 2nd gear when in C mode. You can tell if you put it in C mode and try to start off quickly it will immediately downshift to 1st gear. With normal acceleration it starts in 2nd. Try counting the shifts.
There is no downshift under hard acceleration from a stop in either C or S mode. Counting all 7 speeds gets difficult because the tranny is very smooth in the upper gears.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 PM

2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by fatherhood
Those symptoms sound very familiar, and yes the w211s have the adaptive transmission. Since you're car is still under warranty I would be dogged about following up regarding this issue because what you describe does not sound like all's well.
Looking forward to seeing your video, but I was really interested in hearing from other bluetec owners.

There is no downshift under hard acceleration from a stop in either C or S mode. Counting all 7 speeds gets difficult because the tranny is very smooth in the upper gears.
Here is the text from the 2007 E class owners manual:

Press program mode selector switch
repeatedly until the letter of the
desired program mode appears in the
multifunction display.
Select C for comfort driving
(E 63 AMG: for standard driving):
 The vehicle starts out in second
gear (both forward and reverse) for
gentler starts. This does not apply if
full throttle is applied or gear
range 1 is selected.
 Traction and driving stability are
improved on icy roads.
 Upshifts occur earlier even when
you give more gas. The engine then
operates at lower rpms and the
wheels are less likely to spin.
Select S for standard driving
(E 63 AMG: for sporty driving):
 The vehicle starts out in first gear.
 Upshifts occur later.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 AM

Here is the text from the 2007 E class owners manual:

Press program mode selector switch
repeatedly until the letter of the
desired program mode appears in the
multifunction display.
Select C for comfort driving
(E 63 AMG: for standard driving):
 The vehicle starts out in second
gear (both forward and reverse) for
gentler starts. This does not apply if
full throttle is applied or gear
range 1 is selected.
 Traction and driving stability are
improved on icy roads.
 Upshifts occur earlier even when
you give more gas. The engine then
operates at lower rpms and the
wheels are less likely to spin.
Select S for standard driving
(E 63 AMG: for sporty driving):
 The vehicle starts out in first gear.
 Upshifts occur later.
Thanks for your input. I'm well aware of what the manual states. It also states that I have a mirror tilt down parking aid feature and how to program it, yet this feature has been disabled.
As you know from a previous thread;
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2nd-gears.html

apl175 suggested that diesels start out in first gear according to "Startek".

How does one go about finding such information?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 AM

2006 E320CDI
Thanks for your input. I'm well aware of what the manual states. It also states that I have a mirror tilt down parking aid feature and how to program it, yet this feature has been disabled.
As you know from a previous thread;
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2nd-gears.html

apl175 suggested that diesels start out in first gear according to "Startek".

How does one go about finding such information?
Not all Diesels start in 1st gear when in C mode. My 06 E320 CDI starts in 2nd and if you are in C mode and accelerate aggressively from a start it will downshift to 1st.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Not all Diesels start in 1st gear when in C mode. My 06 E320 CDI starts in 2nd and if you are in C mode and accelerate aggressively from a start it will downshift to 1st.
That's good to know, but you have a different engine and transmission. That's why I was hoping to hear from other Bluetec owners to see if there's any validity to apl175's claim about diesels with the 7G tranny starting out in 1st.
If this claim is false I need to go back to the dealer and have them reflash the tranny. If the claim is true I need to get rid of this car before winter sets in, because driving a high torque car that starts out in 1st is lunacy in the snow. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I see so few Bluetecs around here.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
That's good to know, but you have a different engine and transmission. That's why I was hoping to hear from other Bluetec owners to see if there's any validity to apl175's claim about diesels with the 7G tranny starting out in 1st.
If this claim is false I need to go back to the dealer and have them reflash the tranny. If the claim is true I need to get rid of this car before winter sets in, because driving a high torque car that starts out in 1st is lunacy in the snow. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I see so few Bluetecs around here.
Do the later models not have the w/s switch for winter driving?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:39 PM

2011 E550
okay, here is a short video clip of what's happening...

This is normal to me, feels smooth, the car doesn't engine brake or nothing...

and this is when its starts cuttin' up....

and at times, it would go back to normal, then 10 sec, later go back to 2k rpm, then back, like it can't decide....so they says it's normal? smh...
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bernard farquar
Do the later models not have the w/s switch for winter driving?
They do, however it's labeled c/s.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 PM

I thought I'd give this thread bump.

Turns out that the latest engine and transmission updates disable the C/S button as far the the transmission is concerned. Sure the indicator on the dash still changes dutifully, but it has no effect other than that.
According to the dealer this was done to alleviate soot building up on the filters and cats. Apparently the engine was spending too much time at idle and they needed to have it work harder to burn off the soot. So with these updates the engine rpms at idle were increased and the transmission now only starts out in first gear. Also, the transmission keeps the torque converter engaged when you lift off the gas there by keeping the RPMs up. Mmm. This means that driving comfort suffers.

The new behavior is apparent when you come to a stop from about 30 mph or higher. You can see, and feel, the RPM counter jump up each time as it shifts to next lower gear. Since my transmission doesn't shift smoothly in the first 3 gears this behavior translates in a series of bumps on deceleration.

The car is now driving like sh*t, my 14 year old Saab is smoother, and Saabs of that vintage were not know for their smooth shifting ATs. Grrr.

The car would be perfect if only....