E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission - In gear, but won't go.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Transmission - In gear, but won't go.

I have a 2004 E500 with about 68k on it. Transmission shifts fine and had no issues before this. I was driving home at around 45 and had to slam on the brakes. When I went to go again, the car would barely move and then wouldn't go at all. I pulled over to the side of the road and it acted like it was in neutral but it was in drive. I put it in reverse and same thing, so I turned the car off and the immediately back on at it worked like normal again and I drove all the way home?

Would slamming on the brakes cause anything like this. It almost seemed like the computer went into limp mode and then when I turned it off, it reset. Transmission doesn't slip and shift like normal again?

Any advise would be appreciated. I just don't want it to happen and not go again in the wrong place.

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM

2005 CLK 55 AMG
Check the oil!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by MTLdude
Check the oil!
As in tranny fluid? I thought only the 2003's had the Radiator problem. I was reading some other posts and it looks like it may be the Valve body. I'll wait to see if it does it again. I read another post where it happened from stopping fast so it may be part of the reason.

Anybody know if they Valve body can be a DIY or is it more complex than that?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM

2005 CLK 55 AMG
Yeah, the tranny oil. You can also try a reset of the tranny. Is the valvebody a diy? Sure. I did a conductor plate myself with solenoids. Do a search there are lots of diy about this.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM

2004 E500
Fixed

I figured I would follow up to let others know what the issue was. A few weeks after I posted this, I as driving home and when I got off the freeway it did the same thing. I turned off the car, turned it back on, but it wouldn't shift out of 1st. Luckily the shop I use was about a mile away. I limped it there in 1st and dropped it off. The shop is an authorized dealer, but doesn't really sell cars. More of a repair facility with a few used cars for sale. They assumed it was the valve body, so they downloaded the info (check engine came on when it wouldn't shift out of 1st) that I guess they send to Mercedes to determine what needs to be done. Ended up being the valve body. I was told by independent repair places when calling for a price that they still have to send it to the dealer for programing, so the savings would be minimal. It was already at the dealer, so I had them replace it. Total was $1600. Estimate was $1600 to $2400 depending on what the factory calls for, so I was happy to be on the low end.

Shifts a lot smoother now. Even smoother than before it was having issues.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by AATA
. . .The shop is an authorized dealer, but doesn't really sell cars. More of a repair facility with a few used cars for sale. . .
Not to nit-pick, but it can't be an authorized MB dealer if he doesn't sell new MB cars. If a guy isnt selling enough new cars, he's tossed by MB, or they make his life unbearable untill he sells his franchise.

In other words, if he's an authorized dealer and doesn't sell new MB cars, what is he an authorized dealer of?

..but glad you solved your problem!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 PM

06' w211 E500 Sport
How in the heck does a valve body go wrong?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by PlatinumPi4u
How in the heck does a valve body go wrong?
I'm not a mechanic, but to my understanding, it had something to do with the speed sensor which I guess tells the valve what to do? Based on what it was doing, it made sense. They said it didn't know what gear to be in because it doesn't know how fast it's going. It wouldn't downshift when I got off the freeway and then wouldn't upshift, so it made sense. Someone else may be able to explain better. It's a well know issue with this model. I told them what it was doing and they knew exactly what it was before even looking at it.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Not to nit-pick, but it can't be an authorized MB dealer if he doesn't sell new MB cars. If a guy isnt selling enough new cars, he's tossed by MB, or they make his life unbearable untill he sells his franchise.

In other words, if he's an authorized dealer and doesn't sell new MB cars, what is he an authorized dealer of?

..but glad you solved your problem!
I think you're wrong. Website says official dealer and based on how they problem solved the issue with Mercedes in Germany, I can only assume they are. Website also says they are a unique dealer, so maybe they are one of the few(or only). Maybe they are grandfathered in due to the relationship of the founder? I really don't know and really don't care. They provided excellent service and seem to be straight forward and honest. They are a family run authorized dealer/service center and didn't give me the run around like most dealers. Gave me an estimate and it ended up being less than expected. When does that ever happen at a dealer!

Here's the link. Check them out for yourself. http://www.heinzgietz.mercedesdealer...ackground.html
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM

2005 E500
In 1969, Heinz Gietz Autohaus was one of 13 Service Only Dealers established in the United States, however, by the 1990’s only Heinz Gietz Autohaus remained and continues to be a family owned and operated franchise.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by AATA
I think you're wrong. Website says official dealer and based on how they problem solved the issue with Mercedes in Germany, I can only assume they are. Website also says they are a unique dealer, so maybe they are one of the few(or only). Maybe they are grandfathered in due to the relationship of the founder? I really don't know and really don't care. They provided excellent service and seem to be straight forward and honest. They are a family run authorized dealer/service center and didn't give me the run around like most dealers. Gave me an estimate and it ended up being less than expected. When does that ever happen at a dealer!

Here's the link. Check them out for yourself. http://www.heinzgietz.mercedesdealer...ackground.html
Sure looks like you're right!