Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 280 CDI
7G - Tronic GearBox Problem - Help

Hi,

I would like to ask you kindly for your help,

I have recently boght mercedes E280 CDI, 7G tronic , 2006 year, 160 000 km on the clock.

Do I have a problem in the 7G tronic GearBox?

Changing gears up - Upshift

Sometimes the car has uncomfortable up-shifting (jerk, push) when the car changes from 1st to 2nd; 2nd to 3rd; and 3rd to 4th. This does not happen always but approximately in 50% of the gear changes. Changing gears forward from 4th to 5th; 5th to 6th; 6th to 7th is very smooth. The engine running temperature does not influence the gears change.

Changing gears down - Downshift

When changing gears from 2nd to1st (e.g the car is going to a complete stop), with the engine and the gear box not warn enough (e.g. morning cold start) it jerks, pushes a little bit stronger. After engine reaches the nominal working temperature of 90 C there isn’t any more uncomfortable downshifting 2nd to 1st gear changes, however the uncomfortable up-shifting (jerk, push) is there.

A couple of times I went to Mercedes Benz , and they did the following, but still no improvement:
  • Changed the gearbox oil and the filter.
  • Updated the latest version of the software of the gear box.
  • Erased the adaptations of the gearbox
    • Cleared the gearbox adaptations and let the gearbox to build its own adaptation values;
    • Tried to readapt gearbox by using Mercedes Star Diagnosis;
Would you please advice what should be done next and what could be causing that uncomfortable shift?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Common issue on the early 7 speed transmissions. Combined with newer software, usually it requires valve body and or valve plate replacement. Mercedes Benz knows about this.

There is a lot of info about this on the internet: http://www.google.com/search?q=7+g+t...w=1366&bih=617