PO410 code sec. air pump need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 clk cabriolet
Question PO410 code sec. air pump need help

I have an '06 E350 RWD with 55k on it.

My CEL came on on Sunday. I had the codes read and got the secondary air pump code 410. The pump is at least $500 for the part. I was wondering what else could be causing that code. Is there a fuse or relay for the pump I should be checking? where is it? I did check the hoses for leaks and the couple electrical connections right around the pump. I pulled the little blue check valve. I could blow through in one direction and not the other so I assume it is working. Any other ideas?

I am assuming this is OK to drive. Luckily I have 10 months till inspection.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
I don't know if it's the same for the E350, but on my E320, there's a [maxi] fuse (red) and a relay inside the front driver's side SAAM unit container. There are module units and a fuse/relay board. The SAI pump is powered by the SAAM unit and the engine mgt system module (ECU or PCM) operates the relay to turn the pump on/off.

You will need to determine if the problem is actually the pump. The SAI works when the engine is cold, and is only on for a short time. It's function is to add air (O2) to the exhaust before the cat converter to oxidize the hydrocarbons (HC) before the cat converter can "lite up" and do its job.

Disconnect the connecter from the pump and apply 12 volts (with the correct polarity) to the pump. If the pump spins, then you have a different problem.

I've talked to some other people about this on these forums and they had to have the SAAM replaced. A DIY'er can't do this as the module contains software in it, and that has to be uploaded and eventually downloaded into the new module -- all of this is performed with the factory diags tool.

Good luck.

Regards,
paul...