E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

XM radio installation; question about mechanized door in dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
XM radio installation; question about mechanized door in dash

Last week I had a local car audio store (Myer-Emco in Gaithersburg MD) install an Alpine unit in my car. The control unit was put in the dashboard cabinet over the ashtray which is accessed by the servo door; unfortunately, the unit was slightly too large to fit in the ashtray compartment, where it would have been perfect.

This installation had a number of good points. The RF modulation unit which was necessary to connect with the car's own radio may waste some of the XM signal quality, but it sounds damn good nevertheless over the HK system. The antenna, a small Terk unit, was placed on the shelf under the rear window, where it is virtually invisible, and the reception seems excellent. In fact, apart from the antenna, the installation is completely invisible.

The only problem is that the servo door shuts itself. I would much rather not having to open it to change channels or to see the artist and title. Does anyone know of any way to set it so that it shuts only when you push the button, or maybe so that it closes automatically, but not until a lot of time has passed?
Old 05-26-2003, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: XM radio installation; question about mechanized door in dash

Originally posted by ctemkin
Last week I had a local car audio store (Myer-Emco in Gaithersburg MD) install an Alpine unit in my car. The control unit was put in the dashboard cabinet over the ashtray which is accessed by the servo door; unfortunately, the unit was slightly too large to fit in the ashtray compartment, where it would have been perfect.

This installation had a number of good points. The RF modulation unit which was necessary to connect with the car's own radio may waste some of the XM signal quality, but it sounds damn good nevertheless over the HK system. The antenna, a small Terk unit, was placed on the shelf under the rear window, where it is virtually invisible, and the reception seems excellent. In fact, apart from the antenna, the installation is completely invisible.

The only problem is that the servo door shuts itself. I would much rather not having to open it to change channels or to see the artist and title. Does anyone know of any way to set it so that it shuts only when you push the button, or maybe so that it closes automatically, but not until a lot of time has passed?

Noooo... well wait. Are you one of the guys waiting for the Navi unit? If you are, Satelite radio will be built into the car and you can get the service then. Other than that, RF is usually done well enough on in MB cars not to be a problem. You just have to make sure that there are no radio stations in your area that interfere with your reception.

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2003, 12:10 PM
mco

ML430, E500
Re: Re: XM radio installation; question about mechanized door in dash

The navi rebuilds are 2003 models and the press release says that the sat. radio will start with 2004 modes, so I don't think the navi rebuilds will have sat radio unfortunately.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, MB will be selling the Sirius service. I am an XM subscriber already and after having used Sirius for a few days think they're an inferior service. XM has an incredible depth of programming and it's obvious most of the stations are programmed with care, not just huge song databases set on 'random'. Sirius felt very much more like the latter.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:57 PM

2020 GLC300 4matic
I'm curious also. Can anyone answer the question about closing?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:32 PM

2003 E500
mechanized door

Last week I emailed MBUSA.com with the question about the door over the storage area for the cd changer. I just got a response. Their answer was that the motorized door cannot be set to stay open. Too bad, but I am appreciative that they got back to me promptly.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:42 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: XM radio installation; question about mechanized door in dash

How do you switch between XM and the FM radio? Do you turn the FM off to hear the XM. I'm going to MyerEmco in VA...they claim they can fit the Alpine unit in the ashtray. We'll see.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:15 PM

2003 E500
drb,

The Alpine unit gives you the choice of maybe a dozen channels on which you can output the XM signal to the FM antenna; you choose based upon which channel is subject to the least interference from actual FM stations. You can change your choice at any time. To listen to XM, you turn the Alpine unit on and tune the FM radio to the channel you selected; you can of course just make this one of the presets. To listen to regular FM, turn the Alpine off (so that it doesn't cause interference).

I will be interested to hear how your installation goes. It did not appear to me or to the installer that the Alpine unit could fit in the ashtray without getting rid of the cigarette lighter. I wasn't enthusiastic about losing the lighter outlet, and the installer wasn't enthusiastic about digging it out, and so we put the unit in the CD changer slot. If you have more success, I might want to have my unit switched.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:17 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
I will let you know. The car is due back tomorrow (Monday) afternoon. I mentioned your experience with Gaithersburg. The manager in VA said they just installed a unit in an E ashtray. I did not ask about digging out the lighter. However, the installer said when I sell the car I can remove the alpine and all that would be left is the hole where a screw is inserted which would be covered with the rubber mat. He took the lighter out and put it back. The manager said his installers are the company's best. We'll see.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 PM
drb

ctemkin
I picked up my car today with the XM installation from MyerEmco in Falls Church. The Alpine XMA-T200RF fits neatly in the ashtray, and the door closes easily. The radio is very easy to get to. I put a preset at 88.7. The antenna was placed in the rear window area hidden from view. It appears to work well. Bruno was the salesman at 7033798800. The installers' name is Chuck.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:04 PM

2003 E500
drb,

Thanks for the info. I will follow up with them.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:04 AM

LEXUS
drb,

Thanks for the info. I will follow up with them.
Regarding the ashtray. Note that in the ashtray compartment, the ashtray is removable. A rubber mat can be inserted in the trays' place. The Alpine does not fit unless the ashtray is removed. The lighter stays in place and remains functional. If your installer could not fit the Alpine in the ashtray space, that might have been the reason.

drb/slipnby
Old 07-01-2003, 12:43 PM

E500
drb/slipnby - Since you got the replacement vehicle w/Nav, why did they install your unit using the FM modulator rather than using the input jack in your glove box? Does the Alpine not have a line level output? I know for example the Sony unit can be purchased for either application.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:01 PM

LEXUS
Originally posted by e500
drb/slipnby - Since you got the replacement vehicle w/Nav, why did they install your unit using the FM modulator rather than using the input jack in your glove box? Does the Alpine not have a line level output? I know for example the Sony unit can be purchased for either application.
Possibly the installer did not know about the jack in the glovebox. Also, I do not know if the Alpine has line level output. I wanted the unit concealed and easy to reach so the ashtray is best. The sound is crystal clear, music dims when the navigation voice issues an instruction...so I'm pleased. Perhaps I can find another use for the jack.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:28 PM

2003 E500
drb,

Thanks much. I took my car in today and had them switch the location of the Alpine unit. I had previously removed the ashtray assembly from the ashtray area, slipnby, but the Alpine unit was slightly too large to fit beside the lighter itself. Fortunately, as drb's installer figured out, it is possible to put the Alpine in front of the lighter (it blocks part of the lighter housing, but not the lighter itself) and still close the door to the ashtray. That is what he did. So as far as I am concerned it works perfectly.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:20 PM
drb

Now that is teamwork. Glad it is where you wanted it in the first place.