Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GL350, 2010 A4, 2007 911TT
4matic ball joint replacement help needed/questions; and now answers

So I saw this write up on ball joints: Ball joint replacement

It seems to be instructions on a ball joint that looks like this:

I had already picked up the part from the dealership so I started questioning if they gave me the right part(it didn't come with the nuts pictured though but I think it was supposed to). I was sold a 2113300335, here's a picture:

I did look under my car and it looks appropriate but completely different than the DIY writeup linked above.

My questions are: do I have the right part and are they any writeups on the 4matic ball joint work?

The 4matic part appears to not have to be pressed in and out like the other style ball joint but still looking for tips before I dig in. I'm scheduled for an alignment this Wednesday so I'm hoping this will be doable either later today or Mon/Tue night.

Last edited by Bigben97; 06-19-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Part # is correct, joint is simply attached with nuts see diagram. You can download VIN specific detailed instructions for this and any additional work anticipated here http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/ ($18, 24-hour access) from WIS – check content overview.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
joint.pdf (60.8 KB, 407 views)
Old 06-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GL350, 2010 A4, 2007 911TT
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Part # is correct, joint is simply attached with nuts see diagram. You can download VIN specific detailed instructions for this and any additional work anticipated here http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/ ($18, 24-hour access) from WIS – check content overview.
Thanks for the info. I tore into it right after posting. You're right, just the 2 nuts holding it in. I used a pickle fork to pop the joint off of the top screw, it tore the boot but the joint was bad anyway. The other end of the joint is connected to the tie rod and taking a few swings with a big hammer was enough to get that loose after removing the nut of course.

Installing the new one was the same as removal but you need to disconnect the sway bar connection to get them back together. It may help on the removal side as well. Other than that it's just simple reassembly. I thought about taking pictures but it's so straightforward I didn't think it would help.